A Few Questions re Purchase of NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Elray, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Hi, I have now had NOD32 Version 2.12.2 trialling on my system for a few weeks and have used this forum to learn as much as I can about configuring the program. I have been very happy with the product and will purchase it when the trial period runs out. I am hoping that all I will need to do is change the licence information and not go through the uninstall/reinstall/reconfigure routine. Is that possible?

Elray. :doubt:

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No, you will have to uninstall and reinstall, it should (I have never used the trial version) keep your settings.

1 advantage is you will be able to update to version 2.12.3 when you download the commercial version...

Cheers :D

3. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Thanks for your reply Blackspear. I actually downloaded the commercial version using an EVAL licence which is why I was hoping I could just purchase my licence and keep on keeping on! Anyway at least the setting up should be easier next time around since I am a little better informed now.

BTW I agree with some postings I've read here which suggest that NOD32 should automatically install with the highest possible security configuration in place. I am sure that many users install the program, update and leave it at that. I know that is what I did when NIS2003 came preinstalled on this computer. I wouldn't have dreamed of visiting a forum to learn to 'build a better mousetrap'. Use any influence you can with Eset to push the issue.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

4. Blackspear

That is a different story, you have a commercial version. so all you have to do is change your Username and Password when they are given to you upon payment. Though I still suggest downloading the latest version 2.12.3 it is the version that is available in the downloads section, came online last Friday.

EXACTLY, I can see NO logical reason whatsoever for it not to be, I have argued many a time that it should be at total maximum settings out of the box, and should you want to lower those settings then it is at you own peril that you do so…

Just in case you haven't seen it, there is a tutorial here on tweaking Nod up as well as setting up a weekly scan etc…

All the best.

5. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Thanks for the advice.

I have followed the advice for the weekly scan and will go to the new version but at this stage I am in the process of getting up courage to install SP2 and would like to get all the potential problems out of the way and then know that I have an 'up and running' system to work with. There isn't a lot of reliable technical support around my neck of the woods and I visited a support person in a nearby town today who warned me that they are run off their feet with SP2 problems and have been for the past couple of weeks! Very glad of the support for NOD32 and will upgrade ASAP.

Regards,

Elray. o_O

6. Blackspear

Make a restore point and give it a whirl, I own 2 shops here on the Coast and we simply have not seen the problems you are being warned about. You can get SP2 on disk (not sure if it is available yet) from MS.

All the best...

7. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Yes - I know. Have it on disk and ordered it as soon as I saw that MS had the option to do so. Can't tell you how many times I have been almost ready to bite the bullet but absolutely dread the outcome if all goes south. I just don't think I have the knowledge or ability to troubleshoot. Just when I am ready to go someone gives me another bad news story!

Anyway - thanks for the encouragement. If I never appear online here again you will know that I tried and failed and disappeared into the wild blue yonder!

Elray :doubt:

8. Blackspear

LOL, the world is full of “Chicken Littles” ;) :D The sky is not falling ;) :D

I have no doubt we will see you soon :D

Just one word of warning, if you are using ZoneAlarm 5.1.011 I would suggest rolling back to a previous version, this is known to lock solid a PC using SP2 ;)

9. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Thankyou! Thankyou! Every little bit of info helps. I am using ZA 5.1.011 at present. Wish my computer savvy kids would come home to roost instead of living the high life elsewhere! I could leave it all to them and relax with a good book instead of spending all my time reading forums and MS Knowledge Base articles ...... Sigh!

Elray (Alias Chicken Little)
    :)

10. Blackspear

LOL, I think you will be fine, really haven't seen any problems other than the ZA issue which they have a beta up and running that apparently fixes the issue, I'll wait until it comes out as a public release though, I'm quite happy running 4.5.594

11. Elray

Elray Registered Member

I won't abuse this forum by turning it into advice re SP2 installation but I am grateful for your interest - and yes, I have now reinstalled ZA 4.5.594 which I used through the previous ZA problems and only upgraded a couple of weeks ago to 5.1.011. Must have known something when I kept the old one in my downloads folder! Keep up the good work. Your help on all issues is appreciated!

Elray :D

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Elray: Just for the record, I've had no problems at all with SP2 either, everything went smoothly on the systems I've installed it on. :)

13. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Thanks for the encouragement, Notok. Between Blackspear and yourself I mustered the courage to do the deed yesterday and everything went like clockwork! I am now right up there with the rest of you and have even downloaded the 2.12.3 version of NOD32 which is running on my system. I just have a couple of questions which I will post in the appropriate threads and I should be laughing!

Elray.

:D

14. Blackspear

Good to see Elray.

All the best...

15. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Thankyou! Thankyou! Perhaps I should take a bow....... :cool:

16. Blackspear

LMAO, no need, it is my pleasure...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.