A few questions re my secure zone and backup. Advice appreciated:)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zoril, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi there:)

1.) If I save an image to a folder on my C:\ drive, can I create a secure zone later and cut/paste the image to the secure zone, or is it better to create the secure zone first, then copy the disk image there at the start?
    I only have the one partition...

2.) My hard drive is 30 gig. I have about 4 gig of files etc. Is there any size that you recommend for the secure zone? Would maybe 8gig be ok, or is a larger size recommended and necessary?

3.) I have a CD rewriter but not a DVD one. I also intend to save to CD, as an additional backup. Based on the size of my drive and files can anyone give an approx figure re the number of CD disks needed? - Although each one is 700mb, I believe that the full size of each can't be utilised...

Replies appreciated,

Howard

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

1) Make the Secure Zone and save directly to it. The Secure Zone is for those who only have one partition and / or want the extra security.

2) I would make a 8 Gb Secure Zone. After compression you should be able to fit two or three Images. However this will be reduced as your data goes up. Can always add another Hard Drive later or upgrade you current one. True Image will be able to clone your current hard rive to a bigger one and then you can use the old one for storing backups and images.

3) Wouldn't bother. The Secure Zone will suffice and when i tried to burn across CDs it was more hassle than it's worth. Also if one CD is a bad burn then the whole image is lost. Just my opinion though.....

3. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Many thanks for the reply Paul:)

Re the CDS, it would probably take far too many anyway! As you say if one is not right all is spoilt!

My only reason for considering CDs was in the event that my hard drive was in such a state that I could not access the secure zone, for some reason or other, that there would be an additional backup...

Having said that it might be a better idea to get an external hard drive, which would hopefully serve a similar purpose...Howard:)

4. PaulB2005

Yup - external Drive or throw in a second drive. Some USB drives can be seen by ATI and some have difficultly when using the Boot CD.

Remember if you can't get the Boot CD to work with your external Drive then you can always do a quick install of Windows, install TI, connect your USB drive and restore from there.

5. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Thanks Paul:)

Reading recent posts it seems that a few people are having some problems with build 859, which is the one that I downloaded from Acronis update page.

Do you know if it is still possible to get the 826 build from Acronis, or should I stick with 859?

On the CD that I purchased the build was earlier then 826....

Howard:)

6. PaulB2005

I had a copy of 826 archived to external hard drive fortunately. I'll have a look.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Paul,

Don't see how that's going to work. In order to restore your active system partition you'll need to boot into the Linux based recovery mode. In which case the USB drive wouldn't be detected again and you're back to square one!! Or have I missed something o_O

Regards

8. PaulB2005

Probably not. Although i'm sure i read someone else giving the same advice here to someone else who had problems.

Think i might have left out a step like

connect your USB Drive
    copy the image to your hard drive
    restore from there

Would that work??

9. dld

dld Registered Member

You could try getting 826 by going to the update site:

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/updates/

After you've entered your email address and password you'll get this window:

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/9666/screenhunter0011pq.jpg

Clicking on History will get you this window:

http://img31.echo.cx/img31/9123/screenhunter0023rz.jpg

It is here you'll see the option of downloading 826.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello PaulB2005,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The advice you saw was to install Windows on the second drive and restore the image under Windows to the first drive. After that boot from the first drive and everyhting will work. You will not have to reboot the comuter if you don't open any files on the second drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. PaulB2005

Ah!

But CAN you save an image to the C Drive and then restore from that image?

1 Physical Hard Disk
    1 Partition

No Rescue Boot CD

Edit:
    To answer my qustion above - No. You can't restore a disk from an image residing on that disk. It has to be on a seperate disk.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  12. Acronis Support

Hello PaulB2005,

Your post is a little bit confusing. Could you please explain what you mean once again so that I could answer you in the appropriate way?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

13. PaulB2005

Sorry I've re-editied the question and answered my own question.

14. zoril

zoril Registered Member

dld - Many thanks. That is great:). I also love the images!

I never realised after logging in that clicking on "full history of changes" would enable me to download a choice of earlier builds.

I thought that history was just to show what builds that there were in the past, without a download option...

I have now downloaded build 826. I will see what people say in this forum for a while before installing it and uninstalling build 859. At least I have it now. Clearly there are things in build 859 that are improvements on the earlier builds. Yet at the same time if there is a problem re build 859 that needs to be addressed, maybe 826 is the best to install now. Thanks again....

15. Menorcaman

Hi Howard,

There is a serious problem with Build 859 in that files extracted from a mounted TI image are corrupt (the TI image itself is o.k and can be restored successfully).

Personally, I've kept the bootable rescue CD created via Build 859 but uninstalled the actual software and reinstalled Build 826 instead (which I know works for me). I'll now wait for Acronis to release the next build.

Regards

16. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman:)

Your advice seems sound. As yet I have not backed up my data. I wanted to be certain that all was ok first and that I knew vaguely what to do, having only purchased recently. I was also a little apprehensive after reading a few of the posts here re build 859. Not having technical knowledge myself, I would tend to follow the advice offered here.

From what you say uninstalling build 859 and installing build 826 at least for the time being would seem to be prudent. Hopefully any problem will be sorted out soon. I have not made a bootable rescue CD yet. I will do so after installing build 826. I will uninstall build 859 first.

Thanks very much for the advice......................Howard

17. Menorcaman

Hi again Howard,

If not too late, I would create the bootable rescue CD before you uninstall Build 859. It will then contain extra/updated Linux device drivers and hence offer more comprehensive hardware support. However, if the Build 859 CD doesn't work properly with your hardware then, by all means, try a Build 826 rescue CD.

Regards
    Tom

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  18. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hiya:)

Ahhh!! I have taken (859) off my system yesterday!

Is there a big difference between the rescue disk with 826 and 859? If so maybe I should uninstall 826, reinstall 859, make the rescue disk, uninstall 859, then reinstall 826 again?

I would do that if the differences between the two rescue disk are significant!...

My computer is a Pentium 3 with Windows '98SE...

Howard

19. Acronis Support

Hello Howard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You can have the 826 build of Acronis True Image and Acronis Bootable CD (created with the 859 build). Please also note that Acronis Bootable CD is not system-specific so there is no need for it to correspond to particular operating system. Even if you have no operating system on your computer you will be able to boot from Acronis Bootable CD.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

20. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Thanks Irena:)

Is there a big difference between the rescue disk from different versions - say between 826 and 859, or will either be ok to use?

21. Acronis Support

Hello Howard,

The difference is not big, but each new build (and the rescue disk) includes many minor fixes as well. If the Acronis bootable CD created with the 859 build works well on your system, you can use it.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

22. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hiya:) Just having purchased - I don't have any rescue disk at the moment but having uninstalled version 859, I have now installed version 826.

Is it worth temporarily uninstalling build 826, reinstalling build 859, making the rescue disk, then uninstalling build 859, reinstalling build 826 and keeping the rescue disk made from build 859?

Or is it fine to just create a rescue disk with build 826?

It would only be worth me following the above procedure if the difference between the two rescue disks was significant!.............Howard:)

23. Acronis Support

Hello Howard,

We recommend you to create a new Acronis Bootable Media with the latest build.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

24. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Many thanks. I will do that:)

25. Acronis Support

Hello Howard,

Hopefully answered all your questions well. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.