A few questions from a Nooby

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hayjay, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayjay

hayjay Registered Member

Would someone knowledgable in the use of Acronis TI be kind enough to answer a few questions I have regarding this software.

I am one of the many awaiting the patch which hopefully will allow TI to work with Motherboards with the NVRAID system. I havent yet purchased the software, as I am reluctant to do this until I get positive feedback that the software works or have the ability to test it myself. My questions then are as follows:-

1) When the patch for NVRaid is released, will this be included in the free download Trial? From the site's general notes It appears that the Trial is just a Basic version and to get any updates, one has to buy the software,then register it with Acronis ,so that all the updates can then be downloaded. Is this correct?

2) It appears there are 3 versions of TI: Home ,Server and Corporate. I have a very small network (2 pcs)and I would like to backup images of one PC to the other. will this be possible? which version would do this? and would I be able to then burn these images onto Bootable multiple 4.7Gb DVDs to restore the image if required?.
    "
    3) I guess I would need the "Server" version,but will this also eventually include the NVRAID patch.

4) Some threads on this forum and others relating to restoring saved images refer to the inabilty to fully restore the saved images back to the original destination correctly due often to user/equipment error or to software bugs.
    Is there a foolproof way of ensuring that the burnt images on DVD can be verified as an exact copy,and that a successful restore can be guaranteed.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully respond.

hayjay

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

The Trial includes the same updates as the Full version, but I would not be surprised if it takes a couple of days longer for the download file to be updated to the latest build. Do you have the trial? Which build number do it report?
    Oh yeah. I assume you are going to cross-image the PC? Storing the image of PC1 on PC2 and vice versa? It could be tricky, with the image of PC1 being included in image of PC2 :)

Note that you will need 2 True Image licences for this; one for each PC.
    Home (and upwards?). But check the license terms. I do not know the details, but it might be cheaper to get the Server version, instead of 2 Home versions.
    Almost. You create a bootable True Image Rescue CD with the software; the image(s) are stored on ordinary, non-bootable DVD's (unless you feel like following the un-official guides on how to combine the software with the data image on bootable DVD's).
    Yep.
    No, except ... You could buy yourself a 2nd hard disk, swap it with your current disk, and try a bare-metal restore.

3. hayjay

hayjay Registered Member

Thanks for response
    I have not yet downloaded the trial as I am waiting for the update. If I get 15 days to try it out then I will wait for the right version.
    I never thought about the 2 licences, 1 for each machine but It makes sense, will have to contact Acronis as I dont think the 15 day free trial applies to versions other than "Home." But you raise an interesting point which I had overlooked and that is I will be imaging an image on the other PC and vice versa. will have to consider other ways of doing it.Perhaps burn to DVD then delete file.
    I do have other HDDs but since I am on a Raid -0 setup to image and swap properly I will need another pair of SATA drives. I have a pair of identical IDE drives but I dont think that will do, I need another pair of SATA's
    I am not sure your statement that the Trial version is the same as the purchased version is correct, in that I have just looked at the Acronis site and this states specifically that the trial Has "Limited Functionality". Whether this just means that there is 15days to try it, needs clarification. perhaps an Acronis employee could clarify.
    Thanks again
    hayjay

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hayjay,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

1. All the patches are included into all versions and editions of Acronis True Image. If you have Acronis True Image trial version you will need to download this trial from our site once again after the new build is released. Please note that this will not prolong the 15-day trial period. If the release is too late and the trial period ends up you may contact support@acronis.com and we will help you in this situation.

All the editions of the same builds are released at the same time and you will not to wait more if you need trial version.

2. Actualy, there are 4 editions of Acronis True Image:
    Acronis True Image Enterprise Server
    Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation
    Acronis True Image Server
    Acronis True Image.

If you just want to create the image of one particular computer and store it to the network share Acronis True Image will be enough for you. If you want to create the image of a disk on the remote computer you will need Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation. Acronis True Image Server and Enterprise Server have more features that are usually required in servers. Also please note that only these two editions can be installed on server operating systems: Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows 2003 Server. However, any edition (including server editions) can be installed on "home" operating systems such as Windows XP. The full comparison table is available at our site.

3. All the editions will include the support for NVRAID.
    4. To check whether everything works you may use the "Check Image" tool to verify the image and boot your computer with Acronis Bootable CD to make sure all your drives are recognized correctly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.