A Few Questions about AppGuard

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Brandonn2010, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I have a few questions about AppGuard. I have heard about it and it sounds like DefenseWall and GeSWall, but it works for 64-bit systems. I installed it alongside Avast! on a VM I have and tested it on malwaredomains. First off I was impressed how many of the recent ones Avast! blocked. Those it did not such as fake AVs, AppGuard seemed to stop from doing anything to the computer once I tried to install the fake AV after its bogus scan finished. That being said, I may purchase AppGuard and recommend it to friends and family, but first I want to know:

1. Does it have a 99.99% block rate like DefenseWall and GeSWall?
    2. Is it stable on 64-bit systems?
    3. How actively developed is it? Is there a chance it will be discontinued?
    4. What are the developer's other programs or experience?
    5. Does it play well with all AVs?
    6. Is it a lifetime license? If it is, are there any conditions to this?
    7. Are they planning to update that horrible GUI? to something more modern and user-friendly?
    8. Would it be easy enough that my grandma and other inexperienced family members could use it?

Thanks!

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

1. I'm not sure a block rate has been calculated for AG. However I've used it and encouraged friends to purchase it and I have never heard of anything bypassing it (I've tried with numerous active malware in circulation).

2. I don't use 64-bit so another more experienced user will have to answer that.

3. The developers are quite actively developing this. There is always a chance of being swallowed by a bigger fish but that doesn't appear likely with Blueridge Networks.

4. They also have an enterprise quasi-version called Edgeguard which is basically Appguard on steroids and intended for enterprise use.

5. It does play well with most AV's but you will need to monitor the memoryguard component because if there is a conflict; that is the likely suspect.

6. The license is lifetime as far as the current version goes but I believe new versions cost money after a year. They recently changed how they handle their licensing.

7. The GUI was just recently updated. It's not nice and pretty like F-Secure or the Bitdefender 2012 beta but it's functional. I think they invested more on function than fashion.

8. Barring any conflicts with other programs it should be fine for granny. I've installed it on several non-technical users computers that were continuously getting infected and I've never had to return to re-clean their computers.

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

It has been very stable for the last 4 months on my box with Win 7 64-bits

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.