A couple of questions...

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DoobyScoo, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoobyScoo

DoobyScoo Registered Member

Hi there, I have a few questions about various space cleaners... hope some could be answered...

Firstly, is there a space cleaning program that can run before XP bootup, to have access e.g. to the slack space of files that will be locked after bootup? OODefrag has for example a disk optimizing part that can run before bootup, in text mode, so I was wondering if any cleaning program can do that for free space purging.

Once when I ran Eraser to clean free space, I returned after a few hours and found out that it recreated its temporary files over 100 times. I ended up with 2 million temp files which were getting deleted for 12 hours. Now my MFT is apparently full of the entries for all this junk and cleaning space takes ages because of it. Is there any way of cleaning the MFT of those old unused entries? I cleaned free space with many products to try and remove that (but I no longer use Eraser), I tried MFT optimizing programs but nothing works. In FAT and DOS, Norton's Speeddisk could remove such old unused entries but I didn't find anything that does it in NTFS and XP... :(

When cleaning free space with anything other than EastTec Eraser, which protects restore points, the microstupid XP apparently deleted all restore points for "lack of space" - is there any way of blocking that, by any means?

Twice I gave a try to using BC Wipe and set it to clean "Mount points" and "Network drive MRUs"... and it locked up the system completely after restart; needless to say I don't have BCW anymore. Anyone else met such behavior in it? :\

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.