A couple of questions before I try EQS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tepe2, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Is 3.41 the latest version?

Why can I not read the website? It is full of "o_Oo_O? o_O??".

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep 3.41 is the last, in English that is. There is site with its own forum, but you have to read Chinese. So that will problably not help you, could someone who is the chinese language capable, help Tepe out?

Those are chinese characters I presume. DOwnload the program from this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1152637&postcount=10

When installing click on the drop down box of the opening screen and choose English

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks Kees

I have downloaded EQS now and imported the file and registry protection filters you posted in another thread. And since I now have OA free I have also set the protection mode like you did here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1163738&postcount=9

Maybe I did something wrong at first, but I think I had to delete the default System File protection before I could import the filter. But it does not really matter because when testing is finish I will restore an image and start all over again.

In the main window "System Protection" should I disable the Application Protection? (And let OA do this part)?

4. Kees1958

Tepe,

Yes you should disable the default file protection.

I have played a little with EQS and the best application protection is (together with OA)
    - Excution of application IGNORE
    - Load Library File IGNORE (short IGN)
    - Load driver IGN
    - Access to physical memory IGN
    - Low level disk operation Prompt + Allow (after some time you can set it to block)
    - Creat remote tread Promot + Allow (short = P+A, ditto = set to block after some time)
    - Modify memory etc IGN
    - Terminate suspend Process IGN
    - Shutdown restart IGN
    - Terminate/Suspend thread IGN
    - Instal gloabal hook IGN
    - Log keystrokes P+A (ditto)
    - Modify System Time P+A
    - Debug etc P+A
    - Imitate keyboard P+A

Note that Mike Nash said that the next OA release will have all the startup entry protection of Toni Klein. I more or less copied Toni's filters for Regdefend. So when OA offers advanced (and not limited) protection in the free version, you can disable the registry protection. In fact when OA free should offer Toni's registry protection set + file protection + low level disk access protection OA free is the only thing you will ever need.

Mike is a nice guy, but I can not imagine he would offer this registry protection in the free version.

Regards Kees

5. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you so much Kees :)

OA improves all the time :thumb:

I agree with what you have said earlier that EQS+OA free may be the strongest free protection for XP. But if I pay for OA after the next release it will offer same protection as EQS? No need for EQS? If so I prefer to pay for OA. More convenient updates and backup/restore settings. And I could use one, instead of two applications. That would be perfect for me :) And I guess in the next release of OA I can import filters?

6. Kees1958

Tepe,

You still would not have low level disk warning. For ease of use it is a good idea to pay for OA. Considering the fact that Toni Klein has adviced them in startup protection.

When you run OA with warn when unknown program starts option, you will be fine. Another option is to uncheck warn when unknown program starts and run OA together with SafeSpacePersonal. Now you would not need SafeSpace Personal all the time, only for nasty browsing (searching for cracks, visiting pron sites),

With Avast and its Web module (check incoming data streams) I recon that with a normal surfing behaviour you even would not need SafeSpacePersonal.

So YES: buying OA's next release is a smart thing to do (skip EQS in that scenario). When you use a freeware AV, use Avast in this case (because of the Web, P2P, Network. Mail shields)

7. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Kees you are very helpful, so thanks again.

I want that so best to keep EQS even if I pay for OA, and I think I will.

I do and will do in the future so no need for SafeSpace.

But then I miss low level disk warning, so better keep EQS.

I thaught OA paid covers all this so why Avast? If Im wrong maybe I use Avast instead of Avira which I try right now.

Hope the next release of OA is soon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.