A couple of questions about OA Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by junkescott, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junkescott

junkescott Registered Member

Hi, I just installed AO Free, and having a couple issues with it, and couldn't really find the answers I needed on the AO boards or this one. First, I was wondering why my computer makes this connection every once in a while:

UDP <- 192.168.1.100:random port, 24.25.5.148:53
    Passed by access list (57/60)

I know that it is to my DNS server, but I'm behind a router, and I had assumed that my computer would pass along names to my router to be resolved, not contact a DNS server itself. Also, sometimes it says it is svchost.exe making the connection, and other times no program is listed, like the one I pasted.

Also, I have given steam.exe permissions to run in AO, and the only other permission it has is to create executables (by default, for whatever reason.) However, when I launched a game from it (TF2, hl2.exe), it didn't ask for permissions to run it, or for it to have internet access. I have it so that trusted applications get to access internet, but I don't see how hl2.exe was given trusted status. Thanks in advance for anyone who is familiar with AO and know's why this is happening!

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Re: A couple of questions about AO Free

Sorry, but what is AO?

3. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

I think he's talking about OA ? Online Armor ?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Correct, at least I'm assuming you are correct given a user with the same user name has posted @ the tallemu forum with same subject matter.

As such the title here has been fixed.

5. junkescott

junkescott Registered Member

Hey, yes it is Online Armor, I thought it was a pretty popular firewall? I got the idea to try it from these forums. And yes, that is my thread there as well, but I couldn't really find the answers I was looking for. Sorry for the confusion!

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Have a look at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=142036

In a setup where you have DNS service set off, each application will have a rule to resolve addresses. Best to insert the actual ip of your ISP in each rule. OA has a white list of trusted applications that grant trusted status for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.