A couple of hardware questions....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by erikguy, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Hi everyone. So.... I tested my computer's memory with Memtest86 and it said my memory was running in "Dual Interleaved Mode". Is this good? Do I want this? I know the basics of dual channel memory, I didnt know there was different "modes".

Also, does anyone know of a program similar to Memtest86 but for processors? Thanks.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

What motherboard do you have? Maybe its documented in the user guide.

For testing your processor, theres lots of apps you can try like Prime95, OCCT, Hot CPU Tester, CPU Burn-in, etc.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi Erik.

This is good. It's the only mode in which dual-chanel can be utilized AFAIK. It means you have two RAM modules on your motherboard that match and work in dual-mode (DDR2 SDRAM). If you had only one module, your RAM would work in single-channel synchronous mode (DDR SDRAM).
    As for CPU test, WSFuser already answered that.

Cheers.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Personally, I recommend the use of Memtest86+, available from http://www.memtest.org/.

Memory write/read is quicker when running in dual interleaved mode in the same way disk write/read is quicker when using a RAID 0 (striped) setup i.e. the memory controller writes/reads to/from alternate memory banks (interleaved).

Some useful processor benchtests contained in SiSoftware Sandra Professional. A handy little free utility for CPU and chipset identification/information is WCPUID.

Regards

Menorcaman

5. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Thank you Menorcaman that's exactly what I needed to know!! And yes, I used Memtest86+ I just forgot where I got it from.

I'm not really looking for benchmarking, I'm looking for error testing (for my CPU). Thank you again for those who replied.

6. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

head on over to xtremesystems to find more programs and assistance of this sort, also check out orthos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.