A couple of bugs (or are they?)

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Night_Raven, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

I would like to ask here first. Just in case.
    There are two issues I have with NOD32.

1) after each restart NOD's interface gets mixed up. The control center panel remains with Eset's GUI but some of the additional windows become WinXP-like. Like the update window. The system setup screen is OK. I'm not sure about the xMON screens. The way to fix it is disabling Eset's GUI and re-enabling it again.

2) an issue with Skype. It would seem that while IMON and Skype are working simultaneously they cause short freezes on my system - for about a few to several seconds. Then everything goes back to normal. This is very annoying. When I turn off either one the problem seems to disappear. Higher compatibility mode doesn't help. This could be Skype's fault but I just wanted to post here as someone might know something.
    If you need any info about my system (hardware & software), ask away.

2. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hi,

i dont use Skype so cant offer any help there. in fact i cant offer any help with you first issue either, but i do have the same problem. the NOD32 on my PC doesnt have any GUI problems, but the NOD32 on my laptop does - same as you describe.

there is a thread somewhere and if i remember correctly the problem may be something to do with certain graphics drivers/apps, rather than with NOD32 itself...i've just learnt to live with it. Not as much fun when a dull grey threat alert window appears though, much prefer the dramatic flashing red one :D

3. rothko

rothko Registered Member

and here it is, it actually has some links to other threads re display problems too

4. Night_Raven

You haven't posted a link. :)

5. rothko

rothko Registered Member

6. Night_Raven

Thanks, I'll check it out.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have NOD32 running with Skype, not an issue here.

Have you tried the following?

Download a FRESH copy of NOD32

Uninstall your current version.

REBOOT your Computer.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above using “Typical Settings”.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

8. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I use Google Talk, Skype is too laggy for me.

9. Night_Raven

As far as the GUI problem is concerned, I realised it's a driver issue. At least that has cleared out.
    @Blackspear: yeap, I've tried that. Same result.
    @Brian_N: yeah, Skype is laggy but I have quite some friends who use it so I'm kind of forced to use it. I usually don't adore ICQ but it seems to me it works quite better than Skype in general. Then replace the crappy ICQ 5.x with a nice QIP and all is fine. But people want audio conversations, so...

I had even been advised to use Avast instead of NOD32. I still find it sort of insolent being told to just throw away paid AV and install Avast free. It just sounds to me like: "We at Skype are too lazy to figure out where the problem is so we tell people to use specific AV products." That's lame.
    I'm still not sure whether the problem is caused ONLY by Skype and IMON. Maybe there is something else installed that I'm missing but it's a fact that when I stop IMON or Skype I stop getting the freezes I usually get from time to time.
    It's just weird.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Night_Raven - have u tried excluding Skype from IMON?

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This should solve the problem . I currently don't have Skype but I have used it a lot of times and has never given me problems :D

12. Night_Raven

DOH! Now that you mentioned it I noticed it. I wonder how I had missed this option all this time. I'll exclude and see if it still causes problems. It should be fine. I'll come back later with the result. Anyway, I'll give Skype forum members a piece of my mind. How dare they tell me to use another AV. Besides they don't know anything half of the topics there are on the same issues and instead approaching the issue directly, a indirect solution is offered. This will be a good chance to remind them their ignorance.

13. Night_Raven

After excluding Skype from IMON I don't have freezes anymore. At least not so far. So I guess problem has been solved. Thanks to all for their efforts. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.