A closer look at just how badly Windows 8.x is failing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Compu KTed, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

because people want everything served on a silver plate? :D

2. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Here's what happens with most people, and distros;

1) Install a Distro.
    2) This is cool.. Whats this other distro?
    3) Install the other distro.
    4) This has bugs, whats this different one?
    5) Install the different one.
    6) This one seems stable, but I don't like XYZ part.

Rinse, and repeat, over and over and over. It's really simple with Windows 8.1.. Install it, toss on Start8, Startisback, or Classic Shell, and move on with life.

3. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

MRK you are a pretty well known MS hater, so this isn't shocking. Windows 7 is a pretty well known BSOD monster, even on clean installs due to the way the kernal protection fault system works. Frankly, Windows 7 had some pretty serious flaws under the hood that aren't addressed until Windows 8. Statistics show Windows 8 crashed 55% less than Windows 7, and Windows 8.1 crashes over 65% less! Which means for the majority of people. These are raw statistics based on parsing the error reporting traffic on installed systems. From Soluto's parsing of the files under Win8. This doesn't factor Windows 8.1x which has increased the reliability another 15-20%.

When it comes to crashes, it seems that Windows 8 users see only 3.1 per month compared to 7.1 per month for Windows 7 users. The data also shows that Windows 8 users see fewer non-responsive apps and fewer BSoDs than Windows 7 users. The average Windows 7 user experiences between 10-15 non-responsive apps, or BSoD's per month, vs only 1.2 per month for Windows 8 users.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-Crashes-55-Less-Than-Windows-7-305524.shtml

Also the 'average' middle of the road machine boots in 10-17 seconds under Windows 8, which is 30-90% faster than Windows 7. Not sure why you claim there is no advantage. I click 'on' on my PC, and I am ready to use it in less than 12 seconds. I remember going to make tea while it booted under Windows 7 - same configuration.

Facts are - indisputable, Windows 8.1x is a great OS.

These kinds of arguments are great when you have the facts on your side. It's like when I call my lawyer about something, and the law is on my side, it's like 'easy mode' for him, and cases involving it are like going for a stroll in a park. You only really have to work hard when you lie, or don't have the facts on your side.. Thankfully, in this case I don't even have to try.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Windows 8 is fine with Classic Shell and/or StartIsBack installed? This rationale amazes me. As long as someone else fixes their mess, it's a good OS? The standards of what's considered good or acceptable just keep getting lower. What's next, buying a partial OS, then paying for the updates with the missing pieces? If that's supposed to be progress, they can keep it. If that makes me an MS hater, so be it. It's preferable to being a sock puppet.

5. guest

guest Guest

Windows was and will be always partial, the real thing is how many % partial will be the next version :D

6. Rules

Rules Registered Member

@noone_particular
    totally agree

Even if i try 8,8.1, 8.1 with update (fresh iso install), i always revert back to Windows 7, and never have BSOD with W7 since i've it installed (almost one year). Of course i have two PC, one for testing purpose and the second one is my production PC.

I don't like the Metro GUI, Windows apps, and some Cloud connection of W8,each time i test it, each time i want it to look like W7 and spend some time for tweak-it, otherwise it's clear that W8 boot faster than W7, but i don't care of that.

I really hope that the next M$ OS will be less "geeky" and intrusive, if that the case i'll use it otherwise i'll still use W7 or LinuxMint.

Sorry for bad english.

rules.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

That is true for any software that fails. Install X - problem solved.
    Windows 8 - how to delete wireless access points - open command line problem solved.
    Open registry, hack dll, etc - fail.

Metro is the CORE of win8 - if you install Classic Shell - it's exactly the gui failure everyone complains about.
    No one cares about kernel fixes except nerds.

Mrk

8. Mrkvonic

I am not a Microsoft hater. I use Windows 7 with delight.
    EMET is the best security software in the world.
    Microsoft has the best documentation in the world.

And:

Windows 8 is their biggest failure yet.

Windows 7 is not a bsod monster - it's stupid people installing crap software (security) and bad drivers.
    I have never seen a bsod that starts with __NT - not a single Microsoft kernel function in the home environment.

Your data is meaningless. It points to problems with peoples' setups, not with Windows.
    Your data is meaningless some more. It's based on morons ruining their software and blaming Microsoft.

I repeat, and I want anyone to prove me wrong - show me one bsod call trace that initiates in microsoft code.
    Show me one! Anyone who shows me one Microsoft-caused bsod in the HOME environment gets a cookie. Do it. I dare you.

It's always av, firewall, gpu, sound drivers, hardware crap.

Facts are - you are blinded by your own zeal. Enjoy it.
    And you're bothered by people who shake the foundations of your digital religion.

FACT: Windows 8 is not selling. That's a fact. Everything else is pointless.
    FACT: Start menu coming back in 8.2 - that's MS admission of their failure that I highlighted in customer preview.
    FACT: You have problems with your setup. I can help you get a perfect experience from your windows if you need. I'll show you how to run windows properly so you don't get any bsod in either windows xp/7/8 or others.

You click on YOUR PC and ... who cares what you think or do. You are a WSF user. You represent nothing.
    And the fact you have discrepancies in your setup tells a lot. YOU made a problem.
    I am willing to help. I'm the master blaster.
    Let me help you fix your errors.
    You will enjoy Windows.
    For real.

Cheers,
    Mrk

9. guest

guest Guest

:eek::rolleyes::D:argh:

this is going to be :

http://i.imgur.com/PUgABEq.gif

:D

10. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Nice rage post.. LOL!

Sorry but I have setup and configured several thousand systems, and have no issues doing it, much less running them correctly. But facts are facts. Win8.1 is a fantastic operating system, and your rants and rages won't change that, as you've presented nothing to substantiate your side. Sales will never be a good indicator of the quality of something, period, that's fact. Casio sells more watches than Longines, so Casio must be better? Fail logic.

My security servers are pretty cut and dry. Stripped down systems, windows installed. Appguard locked down, then Blue Iris, Onssi, NCH or whatever. Fact is, and it's a well known fact, Windows 7 is far less stable as the up-time increases. Take a gander over at the security forums for ANY surveillance system server software, and virtually every one of them 'recommends' deployment via Windows8.1x due to the stability over Win7. Evidence all points in the same direction - Win8 is more secure, faster, and more stable. Once again, extremely easy to win arguments like this when the facts are entirely on my side.

Also - WHO CARES where the BSoD results. The fact is, Win8.1 has LESS of them because it handles software, and errors better, and hence, avoids them in the majority of cases.. How is this logic evading you? It means overall, the OS is more stable with the 'crap' people install, and that's a HUGE advantage. Simple really - well I THOUGHT it would be simple to understand. Using your logic you would say a Pinto is as good as an Accord, because accidents are the fault of the driver. Ignoring the 'safety' features, and accident avoidance/survivability aspects of the Accord. That's insanity talk.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  11. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

In this thread we had a guy who called Microsoft Support twice in a week to solve Windows 8 update.

12. Rules

Rules Registered Member

@guest

Excellent, but we are all behind screen:)

@Mrkvonic
    i second you on the point that if you make "serious" installation of your OS with right drivers, settings, and keep your OS and apps up to date, BSOD will never happen, with good maintenance also. I made dozen and dozen install of W7 on different machine without issue. This will be the same stability on W8 if you do that.

rules.

13. guest

guest Guest

the problem is that nobody just setup their system to be windows-issues-free (geeks use tons of security softs, basic users install many crappy unstable programs, etc...); and it is to Micro$oft to minimize the issues provoked by those softs by maximizing compatibility between them and the OS.

@Rules: pokemon cards fight ? :D

personally i had less issues about WU with Win8 than 7

14. Rules

Rules Registered Member

@guest
    +1, so tomorrow all geeks and basic users come at 09:00 PM, at wilders office, and we are going to show us how to make a "right install", not a "right believe install", and don't forget the coffee and cookies:D

rules.

15. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Umm, actually by keeping on saying how Win8 is faster and more stable you just prove that you have no idea what you are talking about. Try to benchmark/test things yourself and stop relying on internet sources when it comes to making choices about your OS.

16. guest

guest Guest

Basic users: "ummm...where did i put my Windows Cd?"
    geeks: "pfff use recovery partitions , it is safer and faster; your Cd may have scratch and some important dll may not install"
    basic users to another: recovery what? what he said?
    geek: "Press F10 during boot"
    basic: "whaaat ! why do you want i use my boots ? it is nonsense; what the relations with F10 and my boots?!!"
    geek to another: "hey man, i think i will have to cancel my scheduled HDD defragmentation"

long long time after:

basic to another: "oooohh they ask me if i want format with FAT32 or NTFS, what should we do?"
    one of the other basics: "i think we should use FAT32, FAT may be for people that use lot of softwares like us , so it makes the system "fat"
    basic: "you pinpointed the right argument, your logic is very sharp; lets do it"
    geeks guys: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (actually sleeping)

17. Rules

Rules Registered Member

@guest
    Yes, come have a cup of tea, i like your spirit's state.

I think the atmosphere of this thread is cooler now, i hope.
    Over that, the original MS iso of W8.1 UP 1, are the best way for make proper install, but it is not accessible for all users. Second, when you buy a pre-installed PC (First W8, after upgrade to 8.1, finally again +800mb for UP1, and with all bundled softs installed when you buy , i already don't like that, same for all OS, and after several month of use you should claim that your OS is not stable for sure.
    For the recovery partition i just say LOL, bad idea.

Ok, i close my little bit off topic.

Nice day to all (and if you want original iso of w8.1 up 1, or 7 SP1 Media Refreh PM me).

rules.

18. Mrkvonic

@Doctor:

quote: you wrote - Also - WHO CARES where the BSoD results.

Who? Who? You said Windows 8 is more whatever than Windows 7 when it comes to BSOD. YOU!
    Now all of a sudden this is no longer important? Stop contradicting yourself.

It is important where bsod comes from - you can't say windows 8 is more stable than windows 7 is no bsod comes from the kernel, now can you?

Typical scenario: Microsoft releases windows 7.
    IT: Let's add our own security stuff - we know da best.
    Windows 7: Crashes due to crappy third-party software.
    IT: Windows 7 sucks!

The fact you installed one hundred billion kajillion systems does not mean you did it well.
    I am still willing to help. For real. For free. Let me help you unlock the ultimate mode.
    You will get splendid windows 7 uptimes without any bsod.

Still willing too help.
    But the hubris is strong in this one.

Mrk

19. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

@DoctorPC

I have run Win 7 ever since it came out & NEVER ever had a BSOD that was due to the OS itself, the only times I had a BSOD was due to graphics drivers (not the OS's fault) & security software (again not the OS's fault) Win 7 has been one of the most stable OS that MS have ever released. With Win 8x I have had a few BSOD's with the sad smiley screen that were DUE to the OS before any apps were even installed. Don't get me wrong Win 8.1 is a pretty stable OS but issues do arise due to the fact you have the legacy desktop plus the metro runtime on top of it.

Why should normal users have to install 3rd party apps to the desktop to get it back to working the way they like & are used too? There is booming market for apps that fix flaws & issues with the UI (Start8, ModernMix etc) Face the truth MS made a big mistake forcing metro on users & removing things like the start button & start menu hence why they have had to backtrack & add them back in.

We get it you love Win 8x & think the sun shines right out of it's posterior but don't twist facts to try & support your view & don't insult & denigrate the users that do have issues with it, you keep saying that most are MS haters & haven't bothered to use the OS, I have used MS OS's all the way back to DOS right up to the present day so I consider myself quite knowledgeable about how they work, I have used Win 8x both on physical systems & also in VM's so I have a lot of experience with the OS, it does many things right but at the same time it also does many things wrong. The lack of sales are due to both mobile devices & also user's negative opinion, MS didn't listen to beta testers feedback & they also didn't listen to users feedback until it affected them financially & PR wise. All MS had to in the beginning was give users a choice during the first time setup asking do you want to use metro features or disable them & just use the desktop features but they didn't, they tried to force metro & metro apps on the users.

20. moontan

moontan Registered Member

true.
    but this is gonna get fixed in a couple of months with the Start menu coming back.

meanwhile, I am enjoying Win 8.1 and all the new security features that has been implemented since Win 7.

21. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Indeed, the start menu issue. RC is supposed to be RC, what OS is supposed to look like, once released. I bought 8 as soon as it was released. What was my surprise, when I found out, that there was no start menu?! Not to mention desktop and omg the control panel, I spent hours trying to find out, how to open control panels and everything else. If I could not do it, I can no only imagine common users, so 8 failed at the very beginning, you can not fix that.
    Nope. I have used 8 since 2010 and I was looking forward to using it, but now I consider 7 to be better OS in every way. If I could replace my 8 for 7, I would do it. The biggest problem is the compatibility. Apps/drivers that run on 7, do not run on 8, if you manage to run them on 8, they will not run on 8.1.

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Classic Shell helps a great deal and it's the first thing I install for my customers, but it wasn't nearly enough on 8.0. Windows 8.1 Update 1, which adds a "close" (X) to Modern apps along with Classic Shell goes a long way to restoring keyboard & mouse functionality. Stardock's ModernMix, which makes it possible to run Modern apps in resizable windows on the desktop, is the last necessary piece. If/when Microsoft adds back this functionality then the problem will be solved IMHO. It's unlikely though that the negative perception of 8 will change ( as with Vista, which was fine after SP2 )

Regarding performance can you post links to tests comparing 7 and 8? I have not used 8 extensively, but when I've setup new Windows 8 computers for customers I haven't noticed significant performance increases.

Edit: After reading a few articles comparing Windows 8 performance to Windows 7 it appears that the only significant difference is startup time with "fast boot". Is that different than using the Hibernation feature in 7?

23. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

With the demise of Windows XP my wife purchased a new computer. The only commercially available OS is Windows 8.1. Very little choice in what you can get in the stores. I have noticed that she loves it & has no problems. Further I have used it when I got it set up for her. No Problems works flawlessly. Very much like Linux. Technology constantly marches on, 8.1 is really nice. You can use it without a touch screen, although she has one, I really prefer it without a touch screen so I don't really use it much.

24. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Contradicting?
    Not his first or last.... The Doc just can't help it...

25. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

DoctorPC Since you feel it is so easy to fix Windows 8.1, please tell me how to fix Windows Store Apps that won't open in Windows 8.1 that previously worked in Windows 8. What is your fix when DISM can not find the source files in Windows 8.1? What is your fix for Windows 8.1 Update 1 on a pc that won't let you install it? These are just a few problem that hundreds of users would welcome your help since you have "configured thousands of systems and have no issues doing it."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.