A Beautiful New Doorstop

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Laptops and PCs are inherently different regarding grounding schemes.
    A laptop is designed with higher ESD resistance, because it is very commonly used driven by battery only. The PC is assumed to always be driven by 120 VAC with a ground that grounds the computer's case. So it is worth a try.

If yoy go to Home Depot, ACE, or Radio Shack and ask for a 120VAC outlet ground checker they will have them for less than $5.

It is very easy to cjheck, and couldn't hurt. :D

You also really should check to see that the ground is continuous all the way from the wall to the computer's case. But you will need a multimeter for that. They can be had for as little as about $40

Like a good set of wrenches, screwdrivers, and a hammer, every real man needs a multimeter in the electronic age !

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Thanks RAD, I will look into this ASAP

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

If there was a full, new install of the OS on a new drive would this not be of no value? The reason I ask this specifically is that I got a message from the Sony tech saying something about using device manager to do something with the ports. I assume this is what he was talking about but it makes no sense to me why this would be effective in this case. He also said that if I blew the PS2 port that it would cost a couple of hundred $ to replace the MB since the port is connected to the board which means the board would have to be replaced. Does this make sense and anyway, does it not appear that the board should be replaced anyway given whats been going on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.