a 2009 drawback

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bodgy, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Using build 9615, I've just installed it on my XPpro with SP3 system, and discovered the following.

Even though I have the image assigned to an external USB drive, TI 12 insists on using the C: drive as a temporary folder under the Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\My Documents\MyBackups.

This has just caused a major problem with my system, as the 'C' partition only has 13GB spare (I use a second drive for all my data). My data drive has 3 partitions to be imaged a total of 23GB used. XP stopped responding because TI tried to put this image on the 13GB free 'C' partition, obviously it ran out of space, XP sulked at zero bytes free on it's system drive.

Whilst TI pauses the archiving, there is no way of continuing - someone seems to have overlooked this in the programming.

As I type this I've just tried to image again, with the same problem.

It is using 40% of the CPU time and this is set for low.

Once paused it hangs, and all Windows programs that are running become unresponsive in reacting to mouse clicks.

TI shows the Shutting Down message box, but won't close. It has to be terminated by either killing it in Task Manager or rebooting the computer.

I do have Acronis Privacy Expert on this machine, so may be this is causing problems.

The beta version had no problems running with DiskKeeper Lite and Esset Firewall on a Vista laptop

Running O&O Defrag v11, TI seems to interfere with the loading process at boot time occasionally, all drive information disappears from O&O and as it can't find drives it won't run.

I will check tonight if the beta version insists on putting it's working file in the MyBackups folder (it has put one image here an acronis boot image for my external drive, but I thought this was a Vista vaguery.

Colin

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I have found the bug!

The above use of the C drive temporary file would appear to be only if the task is started manually.

The scheduled task (which is an incremental) is correctly making a full image as the full doesn't exist as yet, however if I manually start the task, then it defaults to the MyBackup folder with the results mentioned.

Colin

3. mustang

mustang Developer

I see the default backup location for a manually started task as C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\My Documents\MyBackups. Are you saying that if you manually change the backup location to another drive letter before starting the task that TI12 is still using C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\My Documents\MyBackups as a temporary location. If so, how do you see that. I don't see anything showing up there using Windows Explorer during a backup to my E: drive. I have plenty of free space on my C: drive, so I wouldn't see any space issue.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Yes Mustang, I set up a scheduled task to image to my external USB drive, which I then tried to run manually, this causes it to use the MyBackup folder in My Documents. When I let the program run as scheduled it did as asked and imaged to the external drive. What it didn't do was copy the image to a second internal drive/partition which I had set up in default options.

Exact program set up.

1. In Tools\Options\Backup Reserver Copy:
    Reserve my backups ticked, location Z:\acronis2009 . Copy created backups(TIB Files) selected. This is 5th logical partition on drive 2.

2. One Task to run weekly every two weeks: This is a FULL only backup, location K:\eSata\F_data_full

3. One task to run daily (except for the day the full runs) every two weeks: This is an incremental, location K:\eSata\F_data_full.

Note this drive is actually connected as a USB device.

As mentioned, last night at the scheduled time the incremental ran and was archived to the external drive K:\eSata, however a copy was not put in the reserve backup location.

This morning, double checking everything, I note that the backup location for both tasks has reverted back to My Documents. This is interesting, the copy on the Vista laptop is working with similar tasks to a laptop external drive with no problems.

I did see this problem in the beta version as far as 1 Click Protection was concerned, and this was fixed.

I'll wait until tonight and see what happens, even though under editing a task the archive is pointing to the C: drive.

It has also imported the old v11 tasks, though of course won't run them, so after tonight I'll delete them and see if they have been causing interference .

Colin

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Definite Bug I think.

OK, the scheduled task has just run correctly.

Attempting to run the task manually resulted in it trying to place the image in the My Backups folder under My Documents.

See the attached JPG on how I started the task manually.

ti2009.JPG

It still hasn't placed any image in the reserve location.

If the external drive is not connected and TI 2009 is opened, under Edit a Task, the location will show up as the default My Backups. This would seem to suggest that the new database and the task script don't match.

I'll raise a bug ticket on this, but if any one else can confirm this I'd be greatful.

Colin

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bodgy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Thank you for reporting that problem. If you have already submitted the support request, could you please let me know the request number? I will se how the investigation is going, and make sure it gets to our Q&A Team. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Regarding the reserve archive copy option: please be aware that it only applies to "My Data" backups, as noted in paragraph 5.4.11 "Backup reserve copy settings" of Acronis True Image Home 2009 User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.