a-2

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Optimist, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Hi all,
    yet another time: Andreas, don't let anyone discourage you (but actually I'm rather confident that won't happen ;) ).
    Whatever the problems in a² may be at the moment - and to me it looks like it mainly is related to the signature database not being at its full strength / "travel altitude" - IMHO the mere project to provide a free, dedicated AT scanner is well worth some nice words :)
    Provided that it won't be so weak to provide only some misleading feeling of being protected - which I can't see either - there is no problem I see with a². Got a false positive (john.exe from john the ripper) which I am going to mail to you when my mailserver resumes normal operation :rolleyes: and I will definitely try a² personal. If it's only halfway what I think it will be, I will probably also purchase it - if there are no incompatibilities with my DCS tools ;)

Just Keep it Up!
    Andreas (W)

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I have a feeling that my response at DSLR might disappear, so I thought I'd back it up here, if no one minds:

"NOTE: this is in response to the post by hayc
    Methinks you would need an entire trainload of cheese to go along with all this whine.

A freaking 4th-grader could've understood what was happening with this release after reading hayc's first post in the thread:

"Its a release candidate. Why? Cause there might be still a few bugs in it and there are still signatures missing. At the moment we are doing false positive tests. If you find false positives feel free to send them to andreas.haak@emsisoft.com .

Wish you a nice day and happy downloading .

MoreInfo--->
    »forum.a-2.org/viewtopic.php?t=173"

(English must not be the first language of a lot of these guys reading this, right?).

And (GASP!) you had to actually REGISTER to use the program - BFD! If you don't like it - don't try it out! .

What in the world is wrong with you people?

It's Andreas' program!

He will let you try it out/use it for no monetary cost - if he wants you to REGISTER to use it (which is by no means product activation - or any manner of DRM, regardless of what some people might think) - that's his decision to make - not yours, people.

Bad-mouthing either the programmer OR the program - given the conditions set forth in the very first post of this thread - is so incredibly childish and lame that it beggars belief.

Get with the program or get on with your life without the program - but please - quit whining!. Pete"

edited to avoid any "name in vain" arguments from arising - Detox

3. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I vote we install a washing machine in this thread

:)

4. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

spy1, could have not said it better!! ;)
    It is amazing what people put themselves through
    when a new product comes out. :'( :'(

Andreas carry on!!! and good luck to you :) :)

5. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Congrats Andreas a^2 looks pretty good for its first release :)

6. aardvark234

aardvark234 Guest

Have there been any definition updates for a-2 ?

I have downloaded and registered it, bot eveytime I update it tells me "copy error in win9x[me=]fixed" and downloads something. If I look in the a-2 folder the a2sigs.dat file is still dated 26 Nov.[/me]

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

The best place to ask is over on the developpers site/forum as mentioned in the first reply from this thread.

regards.

paul

8. jer03

jer03 Registered Member

I suspect that I know less about this type stuff than anyone posting here.

Tonight I downloaded it, installed it and had no problems. It updated when I installed it, and then I scanned my system. No problems at all.

Time will tell.

Jerry

9. minacross

minacross Registered Member

a2 missed the 'ByteVerify.exploite' trojan (As far as I know it detects trojans, right?)..
    I need an e-mail address, so I can send the infected file..

thanx in advance

(I already posted this thread at a2 forums)

10. Paul Wilders

And that's the right place to post ;) You'll most probably find an email adress over on the main a2 site.

regards.

paul

11. minacross

minacross Registered Member

Andreas posted his e-mail address at the a2 thread, I already sent him the file..
    thanx Paul.. :D

12. Paul Wilders

My pleasure as always, minacross ;)

regards.

paul

13. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

I used to have Anti Trojan 5.5 (as well as TDS3) on my system, but it hadnt updated for a long time, then it stopped loading correctly, and frankly didnt seem any near as good as TDS3 so I unistalled it.
    Then I recieved an email from A2 telling me that they had taken over AntiTrojan 5.5, and for a reduced fee I could swap to that program as AT5.5 was now dropped.

Why would I want to? and how do I know its worthwhile?
    How many anti trojan programs do I need? More importantly is it better than TDS3?

Having paid for AT5.5, which for most of the time was OK, but never spectacular I am a little bit miffed to be basked to pay for another program thats replaced the one i paid for.

14. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

I would keep an open mind if I were you. Test A2 personal edition when it is ready and compare what you would be getting with A2 (5 in 1 Ap) to what you had with AT5.5 and if there is value added you may want to consider the nominal fee especially if it gives you better protection than TDS3.

What you should look for is the process guard as well as the effectiveness of the scanner/remover....

if the scanner is as good or better than TDS3, you have your answer, unless TDS3 can stop leak tests (simulation for trojan), then there is dll injection and other stealth means to bypass your existing protection....

BTW you may be protected already, if you have PG, & TDS3 you are set, if not compare the cost of PG (not the free version which only protects 1 process) to the reduced fee you would pay for A2. Also if the development of A2 continues as planned, remember with A2 there are 3 more aps you are getting...

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/support/malware/

I copied the scanner db to excel and got 6,654 lines of id'd badware but the verbage says 19,000

http://www.emsisoft.com/a2/malware/a2.txt

15. Paul Wilders

peakaboo,

The crux here is a2 is merely an unfinished Beta at this moment. Real comparisons are only possible after the Final Release from a2, and some testing.

In this context, "comparing costs" etc. are a non-issue and very premature - no offense intended.

regards.

paul

16. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

Paul,

point well taken and noted when I said the following:

I would keep an open mind if I were you. Test A2 personal edition when it is ready

cost can still be contemplated for the planned version in the context of my previous post.

17. Paul Wilders

peakaboo,

Let's wait for the Final Release and take it from there ;)

regards.

paul

18. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

>I copied the scanner db to excel and got 6,654 lines of id'd badware but the verbage says
    >19,000

Right. But you forgot to mention is that a² for example detects more than 2,7 Million dialers using more generic signatures (it every time just says "Dialer" instead of "Dialer.CrossKirk.123" "Dialer.CrossKirk.124" etc. . So the list of names may be diffrent from the list of primaries. But I will please Christian to change/explain the value :).

By the way:
    Update fee is $14,95 - even PE with its $19.00 stand alone is more expensive ;).

19. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

Well I downloaded the 30 day trial program (although why most doesnt work and only works when I pay up...as I prepaid user of AT5.5 and only for 30 days trial when it should be the other way around ie full works for 30 days then cut down if not paid) and have run it. Personally I dont like it.

If I want an all in program then perhaps, but I feel a one size fits all approach doesnt work.
    Having read the comments here, from all parties and after the "failure" of AT5.5 (the last 2 emails regarding failure to load/lack of updates were unanswered....so it hasnt been able to be used for at least 1 year) I dont feel able to go further with it. I wont be paying money for the full version, especially when I look at the support I have had from DiamondCS when I have had minor problems.

As the saying goes..you pay your money you takes your choice.

After my expieriences with AT5.5, only a free license could persuade me to use long term a2, and that frankly is something I am not looking for as I feel TDS3 does its thing far better.

20. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Hi Kentish,

It is a logical conclusion you just presented.

AT5.5 has been out of business for about a month and as I recall has not even had updates since October. That means you did not even have protection with AT5.5 for new exploits out there for some months.

That would not make any sense to me.

But now since another programmer and developer has offer to assist past users of AT by giving them a full break or a discount break on his work..your posts are mainly about the $$$ and not many place out there to discuss it except in a Security forum having to do with a2.

Keep your TDS3 updated and you will be just fine for protection.

If you are interested down the line in the a2 also..I am sure arrangments will be made..just like now with those AT5.5 users who bought AT5.5 after a certain date for that product will get a free a2 personal ..with it's clock set for the time when the developer of a2 feels it is a worthy product to protect you again...just like the reason you did buy AT5.5 in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.