99% CPU with Firefox downloads

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by vassie, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vassie

vassie Registered Member

Hello

I came across this problem in version 2 and I assumed that it was fixed in version 3, when I download a file using Firefox, the download will get to 99% and lock up Firefox, after a few seconds (sometimes minutes), the download will finish

I have enclosed a screenshot to better explain what I mean

Ben

Attached Files:

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This is the Advanced heuristics . The file you are downloading is about to be saved on your disk and the advanced heuristics will emulate it . This procedure will take some time .

A temporary solution (that will fast things a bit) will be to open the Advanced Setup Tree (F5 when the GUI is open) -> Web access protection and uncheck "Advanced heuristics" as shown in this picture .

webaccadvheuslndlas1.PNG

Advanced heuristics are important for your secure and they should be left active in the Real-time file system protection and in the start-up scan - don't worry for them being off in the web-protection

3. msrourke

msrourke Registered Member

OK..... I downloaded a 17M file with FF, it locked up for a couple of minutes. Next I downloaded a 58M file with IE7. Download complete, file written to hdd, no freezing, locking, high CPU use.... o_O

Repeated the process with same files, alternating between FF and IE, seems to me it only occurs with FF. FF not play nice with EAV/ESS or vice versa?

Mike

4. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Samething happens to me but I am not worried. Atleast I know NOD32 is scanning my downloads before completion.

5. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

I believe this is due to the way Firefox integrates with AV products now in a way which IE does not. Once the download is complete it passes the file off to the scanning engine for a manual scan before writing to the final destination, which is what causes your high cpu usage and disk activity along with no response from the download dialog. IE does not do this and relies on the real-time scanning engine to keep things clean when the file is eventually access.

The beta of Firefox 3.0 now indicates that it is initiating a scan on the file within the download dialog box so you know what is going on instead of just freezing up for an undetermined amount of time.

6. red_jack

red_jack Registered Member

Try clearing out your temp files and FireFox web cache.
    Take a look at your HTTP settings in advanced setup. In the web browsers list put a check in the block for FireFox if there is not one. Check to make sure it is not checked in the active mode list. I have not noticed a problem using the download manager in FireFox and NOD. Most of the time I use OrbitDownloader though. I tested a packed zip/rar,self extract 7Zip exe and compressed exe (upx) with FireFox downloader, no high cpu on finish. The only time I do notice a high cpu on download or extracting is when inside a zip there is a packed exe using an packer/encryptor like ASProtect or teLock. You might try and disable your plug-ins to make sure they are not part of the problem.

Edit see post below

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  7. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Yeah, that's the way it looks for me. The file downloads ok then right at the end pauses for an extended period. (6-10 seconds roughly)

8. red_jack

red_jack Registered Member

Well test enough files and sure enough found one.
    The new update for DivX player, setup installer. http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/download/index.php Causes 100% Disabled the HTTP module, still same problem. Disabled the Self Extracting Archive from from the Real-Time protection and no more 100% CPU. IExporer 7 no problems, FireFox downloader 100% CPU. Detected as Nullsoft PiMP SFX which is NSIS installer soft.

9. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

Surely the fix to a feature that is either badly written or not working as the user expect is not just to advise to turn it off. Perhaps ESET need a good hard look at their coding practises.

I get the 99% CPU utilization too, on a QUAD CORE PROCESSOR, you can't tell me that's the intended behaviour. :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.