90-day trials of Panda

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pbust, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

I guess we can carry our license to the next product too...Every other AV company have this feature and i guess Panda too have this thing...But i am not sure. Some days back i have asked this question to pbust...and he said that yes we can carry on our license key...

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Just out of interest, should TruPrevent be checked on a novice's system, as in, does it offer additional benefit than without having it enabled?

Edit - doesn't seem to be checked by default, but after reading about the feature, might keep it enabled. Overall, after an hour or so, seems to be a light program.

Pedro, my main man, you might shed some light if you're on? :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  3. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Yes we put a lot of effort in the last couple of years to reduce impact on the system while relying more and more on cloud-based detections for both signatures and heuristics. Regarding the upgrade policy, it is changing. I don't know the details but if you have less than x and more than y months of services I believe you get new versions for free, so you should be OK if you buy a 2 or 3 year license. Anyway if you have problems with this simply send me a PM.

Absolutely, TruPrevent is a deterministic behavioural analysis engine which is very good for detecting worms and certain types of trojans. The most important thing is that it will *not* ask the user any critical decision-making questions ("we *think* this is dangerous, do you want to run it") and does not have false positives. So, specially for novices it is very stable technology. More info about TruPrevent here:
    http://research.pandasecurity.com/how-truprevent-works-i/
    http://research.pandasecurity.com/how-truprevent-works-ii/

Another clear benefit is that TruPrevent is able to proactively and generically block any and all PDF/DOC/PPT/XLS/WMV/etc type of exploits without any need for reactive signatures:
    http://research.pandasecurity.com/how-to-prevent-zero-day-exploits/

EDIT: regarding its configuration, it is on by default if the PC has over 1GB of RAM. Otherwise it's not.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  4. Saraceno

Thanks for the quick reply. You must have the red superman cape on.

The system I've installed it on, family member, has only 512 ram, so might be best to uncheck it?

Also, I don't notice any slow-down in browsing, but could (if the user wanted) 'internet' traffic scanning be unchecked, and scanning on disk left checked and provide adequate protection?

5. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Simply on at the time, no red capes yet :)

Re: the 512MB, it is actually the minimum we recommend. Ideal it's 1gb but we we have plenty of users with 512MB running it without a problem. Try it out and see how it behaves. It also depends on how much other stuff you have running in the background on that specific machine.

The internet traffic you can turn on/off at will, as well as IM and email traffic, and configure heuristic level for each one differently. Yes you can turn it off but I wouldn't, as the binaries that come via this vector (Internet) are scanned with higher heuristic settings and against the cloud in real-time.

6. Saraceno

All cool, I'll leave them all on. I can imagine though with 1gb, wouldn't notice this thing running at all.

Obviously with 512, even opening the browser with no AV at all is somewhat sluggish. ;)

But, well done on a light program. Lots of settings for more advanced users to play with, or leave it as default for regular users.

PS - no more questions from me today/tonight, as I'll be heading off. But thanks for the reply Pedro, appreciate it.

7. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Can the AV Pro be installed without the firewall component?

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

it is off by default on install.

9. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Thanks, but I wanted to know if I could opt-out entirely from its installation, like Kaspersky, Avira and avast! products?

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no, sorry.

11. AvinashR

Today i have installed it on my Virtual Machine which is having 640 MB of RAM and its running smoothly..During Scan CPU usage goes upto 85%, but i guess its okie for virtual machine.

12. icr

icr Registered Member

Good to hear it runs smoothly even on RAM below 1Gb:)

Coz I am thinking of installing on my friend's computer he has 512 Mb RAM:gack:

13. pbust

pbust AV Expert

I think you might be able to do that if during the install you choose "personalized" installation. It should allow you to check the firewall off.

However if you're planning on leaving TruPrevent activated, keep in mind that it also takes information from the firewall as a sensor (as well as file, registry, services, etc.) to make behavioural analysis decisions. So if you disable the Panda firewall and use a different one, you're cutting off a chunk of intelligence from TruPrevent.

14. AvinashR

Can we install firewall after installing everything?

15. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Yes you can :)

Cheers

16. AvinashR

Okie...Thanks..

But i guess i need instaler

17. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Yes, AFAIR :)

Cheers

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you wont regret it. Pandas detection rate has grown, significantly.;)

19. Saraceno

Testing antivirus pro on another machine (2 gb memory), nothing else except for cfosspeed running.

Wouldn't notice it running. Using just over 30 mb of memory.

The firewall with its automatic rules is easy to use. Pedro, just a suggestion, under network activity, would be good to have the option of closing an active connection through right-click, or as a separate 'kill process' button. Otherwise, all good.

20. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Dare to stand malwaredomainlist ? :p

21. AvinashR

Even you can not stand with your lovable Anti-Virus against 0Day malwares...Why don't you try your AV? Don't take -vely

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

im running this now and its def nice. its def a bit heavier than my other 2 normals though i dont want to a vs b but most of you know which two i use. ill admit its far better than i thought still a bit heavy for me personally but i want almost nothing 0 zilch impact so i may be the wrong person to ask. when i state something is super light i want literally no impact at all. there is def some from panda is but FAR better than many others. the only thing again i can really complain about it all the running procc's. i just hate that personally. but it seems okay. id love to see panda make a single or limit i to maybe 3 like others did. that would imo be awesome.

23. AvinashR

Even you can see that Panda AV 2010 is coming with Its own firewall, whereas you will not find any other AV which is coming with firewall option.:rolleyes:

24. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

im reff to the suite internet security from each company fyi

25. AvinashR

Hey bro, you know what even i have not understand your previous comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.