9.1 w. Universal Restore Freezes after restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kstrahan, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kstrahan

kstrahan Registered Member

I perfrom the restore successfully with new SCSI drivers. The machine reboots and gets to the Windows login screen where you get the message saying that Universal Restore is preparing the machine........ and there it sits. I tried twice, the second time, leaving it for 8 hours with nothing happening.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

In addition to choosing to add the scsi drivers, did you also add the video driver?

3. kstrahan

No, but I can see the screen.... Should I have?

4. kstrahan

Also, the video card is an onboard ATI RageXL 8MB PCI Graphics Controller. Not sure why the standard drivers wouldn't work....

5. DwnNdrty

In re-reading your original message, I find it a bit confusing. First you said you performed the restore successfully with new SCSI drivers. Then you said the machine reboots to a message that UR is preparing the machine. This tells me that the Restore has not yet been done so I don't see how you can say that the restore was succesful.
    In any case, try doing the restore by booting from the bootable TI cd which you can make from the installed software.

6. kstrahan

I should probably clear things up. The steps we followed were:

1. Boot from bootable TI CD with universal restore.
    2. Pick new SCSI drivers for Universal Restore.
    3. Start Restore.
    4. After about 90 minutes, restore finishes succesfully.
    5. Exit TI and reboot without CD.
    6. Windows Server 2003 starts and upon reaching the Windows login screen, a window pops up saying that Universal Restore is now preparing the system for use.
    7. That's it, it sits there doing nothing and not allowing any user interaction.

7. DwnNdrty

Ah ... now I understand .... unless the graphics card was identical to the system from which the backup was made you must add the one for the destination drive during the inital process of the restore.

8. kstrahan

I'll give that a try then. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kstrahan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that the primary goal of Acronis Universal Restore is to make the deployed system bootable. It handles only HAL and mass storage device drivers and does not install drivers for other devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). Normally, once the deployed system starts, Windows takes control and initiates the usual first-start process. At this point, you will be able to specify drivers for other devices, if Windows cannot find them automatically.

We would recommend that you make sure you use the latest build of the appropriate version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Create a new Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media (with Acronis Universal Restore) using the latest build.

If you already using the latest build and experience the above issue, please collect the following information that would allow us to take a closer look to the problem and provide you with a possible solution:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post of the system you have imaged.

- Clarify if you create/restore the image of the entire drive or system partition only.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.