9.0 Slow back-up to Network Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by arf1410, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arf1410

arf1410 Registered Member

There have been a variety of comments during the last several months that stated when backing up to a network drive, 9.0 is substantially slower (2 - 4 times longer) than doing the same task with ATI 8.0.

Has Acronis been able to duplicate this in the test facilities, at least acknowledge it is an issue that need to be worked?

Can any users report that 9.0 does NOT run slower for them than 8.0 when backing up to network drive?

Have any users found a solution for this?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I backed up 4.4GB (Normal compressed size, 6.6GB used on C drive) in 13min via XP 100Mbit network which is 338MB/min. Verify another 9.5 min.

Never had TI8 so I can't comment on speed difference.

3. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

I can verify the slow speed. I started TI9 to create an image of two partitions with total size of 16 GB. It said it would take two hours to complete. :eek:

I then ran the same backup to the local hard drive, which took about 12 minutes. Then I copied the file to the other computer, which took 7 minutes. :)

4. seekforever

Did you let it run and see what the time really was? I did a backup that had a huge time initially displayed then it dropped dramatically.

How much of the 16GB was actually used or is that the amount of data?

5. arf1410

arf1410 Registered Member

Rick_G -

I was thinking of using the "2 part" back-up - copy local, then transfer, to speed things up, but I consider that to be a work around, rather than a true fix. Did you ever use TI 8.0? If so, was that just as slow to a network drive, or same as 9.0?

6. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

I let it run for about 10 minutes, and the progress bar barely moved. That is when I bailed out. I have 10 GB of data and 6 GB of free space between the two partitions.

7. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

I am new to the Acronis line, just started with 9.0, no experience with version 8.

8. jay beckham

jay beckham Guest

I am doing backups to a network hard drive. It is a brand new Western Digital that is connected to my network via Cat 5 cable to a switch. My desktop is connected to the network using a USB attached 54gb external wireless device. The wireless access point that is attached to the switch is also of the 54gb speed. My USB port may be 1.1 rather than 2.0. A 40 gb backup (condensed size) is taking about 12 hours. Help!

9. seekforever

Suggest you verify speed of your USB port first. If it is 12Mbits/sec that is only about 1.5Mbytes/sec. 40,000MB of data would take 7.4hrs with no verify and this is probably the ideal time with no overhead.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you encounter any "speed problems" when backing up to a network drive using Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please do the following:

- Boot from Acronis True Image 9.0 Bootable Rescue CD (created using build 2337) and press F11 key when the selection screen appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear.

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

- Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Could please also provide us with the following information?

- What is the exact size of the data that you are backing up?

- What is the exact size of the resulting image archive?

- How much time does it take exactly to create an image?

- How much time does it take exactly to create an image under the same conditions saving it to the internal hard drive?

Please let us know the actual time, but not the estimated one, since the latter is usually quite approximate.

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please also provide us with the more detailed information on your network structure (hardware and software vendors, models, versions, etc.).

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Edit: Instructions corrected according to bertsirkin's remark.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  11. bertsirkin

bertsirkin Registered Member

I too have VERY slow network backup.

As for your instructions, you left two items out:

"After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button and wait for # prompt to appear"
    After this step you need to select "Acronis True Image" from the 3 options before you get the "#" prompt.

You also need to put a floppy disk in your drive to save the files to as I (and your instructions indicated) boot from a CD.

Lastly, I can't read either file when back in Windows. Windows Explorer reports the files have data (the Sysinfo.txt file is reported to be 44k) but when viewing the properties of the file, it is zero length.

Any other suggestions??

bert

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  12. Acronis Support

Hello bertsirkin,

Please accept my apologies for providing you with the incomplete instructions. I've corrected my post above.

As for the non-readable sysinfo.txt file, please do as I have suggested in this previous post of mine.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

13. bertsirkin

Alexey,

I used the utility to send the 2 files in - but haven't heard anything back yet.

This software is completely useless to me if I can't back-up to my network. Any ideas yet on how (or if) this can be resolved?

bert

14. Acronis Support

Hello bertsirkin,

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send me a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

15. bertsirkin

The subject of the email was [Acronis #470380] Slow response

Thanks
    Bert

16. Acronis Support

Hello Bert,

As I can see, your issue has been forwarded to our Development Team. We will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible. As this can take a few days, we apologize in advance for any delay with response.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

17. greigmg

greigmg Registered Member

I'm having a similar problem backing up over a wireless network. Letting Acronis do it takes about 20 hours for a backup that's compressed to 18gigs. If I do it using the "two-step" process, it takes about 25 minutes for the computer to make the backup file, and then about 7 hours for it to transfer over my network.

18. Acronis Support

Hello greigmg,

I'm afraid that none of the currently available Acronis True Image versions supports wireless network.

Please take a look at this previous post of mine for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

19. greigmg

greigmg Registered Member

Right, I knew that - if it ever failed I was just planning on putting the backup drive into a usb enclosure.

The fact that the network is wireless, though, shouldn't make any difference when backing up - the computer just sees it as another networked drive. And in this case, it takes an inordinate amount of time to backup over the network as opposed to doing it manually.

20. bertsirkin

This is getting ridiculous. I've forwarded countless files and data to Acronis with no results. Clearly v9 is not ready for network backup! I was going to upgrade to Symantec Ghost v10 but liked the differential backukp option of Acronis. Right now Acronis is backing up at 88MB/Minute (almost 4 times faster than it was origially - not idea why as nothing on my end changed). Norton Ghost 9 backs up at well over 400MB/minute. It's faster to do a full backup with Ghost than a differential backup with Acronis!

I'm going back to Ghost!

bert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.