86 IE items refuses protection

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Percival, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Percival

Percival Registered Member

Hello :)

I'm an old member here, but this is my first post. The board tells me that the last time I visited was August 2005, and to tell the truth I had forgotten about this forum.

I have used SpywareBlaster for many many years, now version 4.1. For some time now, at least as long 4.1 has been out, I have had a small problem with the protection.
    Almost every time I start SpywareBlaster, 86 items is unprotected in Internet Explorer 6. I enable all protection every time. Then I may use IE for a day or two, and when I start SpywareBlaster those 86 items is unprotected again.

I don't know what is shutting off the protection for those same 86 items. Conflict with other software? I'm using a few security apps, and I think the only possible software that could enable or disable IE protection is Spybot S&D. But immunizing by Spybot is not disabling anything, at least not immediately. The 86 items are disabled after some time of IE usage.

Any clues? Thanks in advance.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

What other security/privacy software do you have installed?

This is almost always caused by another program that either interferes or removes some of the Restricted Sites protection.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

3. Percival

NIS 2007
    Ad-Aware 2008 (7.1)
    CookieWall 1.01
    IE-SPYAD
    No Flash 2.2
    Spybot S&D 1.6 (included Teatimer)
    WinPatrol 15.9.2008

4. Percival

No answers? :doubt:

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

As i've seen many times on this board, Spybot S&D is usually the culprit for disabling items in IE's protected list. So just to confirm this isn't happening immediately after updating and immunizing Spybot S&D?

U might want to monitor this after updating your other apps to see if they are causing this. Kind of a process of elimination. :)

Also to confirm u are using SWB 4.2 now(latest version)?

snowbound

6. Percival

It seems to happen random, not just after Spybot is updated. I don't update either of them often. But it often happens that items are unprotected in IE.
    I usually find 86 IE items unprotected when I look in SpywareBlaster. If I leave them unprotected and start Spybot, I usually find 16 IE items unprotected in Spybot.

If I then click 'Full protection' in SpywareBlaster, I find that 1 IE item is unprotected when I check in Spybot again.

I am using SB 4.2.

7. Percival

No! Flash™ interferes with SpywareBlaster protection

No! Flash™ interferes with SpywareBlaster protection

For quite some time, I have noticed that 86 IE items refuses protection sometimes. I did not know why.

I was suspecting Spybot S&D for being the offender, but I have now found positive proof that the offender is No! Flash.

No Flash by Baryon Lee is a tool designed to block Flash and ActiveX content. It can be enabled and disabled in the system tray. Enabling/disabling changes the IE settings, this is the way it work.

When I disable No Flash (=allow Flash content), 86 IE items shows as unprotected in SpywareBlaster. This has been bugging me and I asked for help in the other thread (see first url in this post), but no one could explain it.

When I enable No Flash (=block Flash content etc), all those 86 items shows as protected again.

I did not see it in connection with enabling/disabling Flash until today.

Screenshots from the items in No Flash, I suppose it's the same items that shows as unprotected in SpywareBlaster, are attached below.

I think that when I allow flash content by disabling No! Flash, I also allow all the 86 malwares at the same time. I'll try and untick all the malware in No! Flash and instead let SpywareBlaster and Spybot take care of them. Because I must be able to allowing flash without allowing malware at the same time.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  8. Percival

Re: No! Flash™ interferes with SpywareBlaster protection

Here's the last four screenshots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Good to see u found the culprit. Do u not already use the flash killer option in the tools section of SWB? I would think it would basically do the same job as No Flash.

snowbound

10. Percival

I do not use the flash killer option in SwB because I don't want to permanently block flash.

Alot of sites needs flash enabled, and having an easy way of enabling/disabling flash is essential. No Flash offers an easy way. It also offers an easy way to enable/disable GIF animations, which can be very annoying.

Perhaps there are better tools than No Flash, I don't know. But SwB 4.2 can not replace No Flash.

The bad thing with No Flash is that clicking its sys tray icon to allow flash/gif animations/etc also allows all the bad active x it was designed to protect against. So I can't continue to just click the sys tray icon once as I've been used to do, I have to double click it to open up No Flash, then tick the flash and GIF checkboxes. But this is still easier than to launch SwB and tick/untick the flash checkbox there. And SwB 4.2 can't control GIF.

Perhaps I'll uninstall No Flash and reinstall it as freeware. As freeware it does not have so many bad active x in its database, which hopefully means that it won't block 86+ bad active x, just to unblock them all when I click the sys tray icon to allow flash/GIF.

If anyone here have tried No Flash and happens to know of a better product, please give me a tip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.