80 Gig TIB-File is empty while browsing. Wizard gives: "success Message"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pooz, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pooz

pooz Registered Member

Hello,

I backupped with the boot CD of True Image my folder "My Documents" (Own Data including My Music, My Pictures, My Videos etc...) to a 88 GB File.
    But while browsing it with the TI 11 Built 8.105 it shows that the file is emtpy!

Whereas Using the built in Recorvery Wizard shows the whole file structure correctly, but when I want to recovery my folder "My Music" or "My Picures" it finishes after 1 Second with a successful Message but the recoverd folderes are empty!

Who can help me?
    I need help, I searched with google and I am totally dissappointed and sad. My whole Data is on that. :-(

- There is also a TIB-File, which is suddenly Password Protected. I never set any Password. What to do now?

HINT: I use now a new clean Windows-Installation and my previously backupped Folder "My Documents" was protected with the windows-own-User-Account-Protection (that one, when you Right-Click on the Folder and choose something like "Don´t share this Folder". Then the folder is not accessable from another user account.)

I´ve attached a Screenshot with both windows: TI Wizard and Windows Explorer.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Sorry to hear of your situation. I know this will not help now, but in future, it is not advisable to use True Image to backup music, picture, and video files since they are already in a compressed format and you would not save space by compressing them with True Image. It is far better to simply use Windows Explorer to copy them to your destination drive or burn them to CD or DVD with Nero or your favorite burning software.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Should your hard drive fail, TrueImage Home can help you recover providing you have taken the time to create a disk option backup which includes all partitions on the disk. Check line 2 of my signature below.

The instructions by DwnNdrty are a good way to go. Copy music, picture and video files to another backup source using Windows or another program which does not alter their file construction.

4. pooz

pooz Registered Member

Thanks for your answers,

as I remember, I did uncheck the compress option, because I just wanted to make a "straight forward" copy of my Folder. I had to use TI, because I had no permission on my folder with my new Windows account. And TI could read and open the folder correctly.

So, it is not only my Multimedia Data which doesn´t occour, its also all my Documents like Text-Files and Outlook Data and so...
    So this does not really affect my Problem.

My Problem is still there: Recovering gives me an emtpy Folder, independent of which Folder (if Multimedia or not) I am recovering .

5. DwnNdrty

You're not the first user to have problems with True Image when using the Files and Folders feature. I don't use it so I don't know the ins and outs of it. True Image's strongest feature is the complete disk backup. And like Grover mentioned it is always good to have a whole disk backup first.

In True Image, even if you chose no compression settings the default does give compression, which puts the files in a proprietary format that only TI can access.

For your Documents whether multimedia, text, or Office-type, if you want to compress them, use the built-in zip format in Windows.

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Let's see if I have this correct.

You have backed up a 'files and folders' tib file using the rescue CD to drive F: with the file name EigeneDatien.tib (My Documents.tib, in English).

You have restored the folder to a new installation of Windows using either the rescue CD or the Windows version of TI, and now can't access the folder and it reports itself with zero bytes.

Looking at your current situation of not being able to open the restored folder, you need to assign your new logon SSID, to your old one that is in the restored folder. Everytime you re-install XP or Vista, this SSID protection (which is hidden) will change.

To allow your new self access, you need to boot into XP safe mode, right click on the restored My Documents folder and choose Properties\Security. Then click on the Advanced tab in the bottom box, click on Add, add them to your current logon name, making sure the Inherit from Parent is ticked.

Then close down the dialogue boxes and reboot the computer. You should now be able to open your original folders. Until you do this, Windows will report these files as empty and normally give you an error message about permissions.

I suggest making a full image backup before you do this. Although nothing should break, it is just an extra bit of security of something does go wrong. The above assumes you have XPpro - I'm not sure how this works in XPHome as it doesn't give you access to the security feature.

Back to your original problem, are you using the German Version of TI with your German version of Windows? There have been reports of strange things happening if you use the English version on a German Windows XP.

Is it both the CD and the Windows version of TI that report the file as empty?

Colin

7. pooz

pooz Registered Member

Thank you for your help!!!
    @bodgy
    Yes, correct!

Partly. I can access the restored folder, but it reports itself with zero bytes.
    Changing the permisson is a good idea. But, the restored folder was restored in 1 second only! This shows, there was no correct restoring. So chaning permission to my current SSID will still show an empty folder, cause the restore process wasn´t as successful as I wished.

Both are German Versions.

If you mean the restored Folders are empty, after using both CD and Windows Version of TI, then YES, you are right, they are empty in both.

But browsing within the tib-File using the Recovery Wizard of both CD and Windows Version of TI is correct, as is shown in the upper part of my attached Screenshot.

But browsing directly within the .tib-File with the windows explorer, wich is only possible when Windows running with Windows Version of TI, then the folder is empty, as shown in the lower Part of my attached Screenshot

So the main Problem is still, that the restoring process doesn´t work as it should be, when TI gives the result message: "Restoring was successful"...This can only be a joke! No, this is a joke!

I wish only, that my laughing would be stopped!:cautious:

8. pooz

pooz Registered Member

@DwnNdrty,
    thanks for your help!
    So is there another Tool, whose strongest feature is also in backupping Files and Folders?
    I do want to have a whole disk backup, but TI (CD Version) wasn´t able to do one. I guess, the reason is, that I wanted to do a disk backup from my dying HDD. After a crash some files or sectors or I don´t know what, are destroyed. Maxtor/Seagte Tool reports, that HDD is defect.

@All
    I just wanted to rescue my data from this HDD. So I used the CD Version of TI. Whole Disk backup failed, so I jused selected some folders only.
    Some of the folders could not be backupped (TI reported backup was unsuccessful), so I deselected them.

So only with this minimization, I was able to backup at least some files and folders with TI (TI reported backup was successful)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  9. DwnNdrty

Windows Explorer mentioned above, or create a batch file using the free XCopy with the appropriate switches will backup, after the initial backup, only changed files.
    You might still be able to rescue some of your files with file recovery software like RStudio or GetDataBack.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pooz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that as the backup was taking from a failing drive, it's possible that some files/folders were only read partially. We may recommend you to try restoring the whole archive. You may need to take ownership of the restored files after that. Please see this Microsoft KB article for instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.