70 years young first thread please help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by w.bishop, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w.bishop

w.bishop Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I desperatly need help.
    I heard strange noises from my computer coming from my western digital hard drive it is roughly 1 year old. I contacted WD and they are replacing it as it is under guarantee.
    Because of the noise I decided to do a full back up with acronis true image home 9 it took 5 dvd disks.
    I fitted an old maxtor 40 gig hard drive temporary to the computer loaded xp and tried to load from the dvd`s to this HD but it will not work.
    Please help.

2. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

Hello W.Bishop,
    Can you give more info on why it doesn't work? Are you getting any error messages? What build True Image are you using?

Corey

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Is there a way to have both HDs attached to your system? If so, I would backup your failing drive to the Maxtor. Much faster backups/restores and probably less prone to problems.

4. w.bishop

Hi Corey thank you for responding.
    I have build 9.
    I put the DVD`s in my DVD burner but nothing hapens other than it tells me what files are on my disk.

5. w.bishop

Hi to you THE WEAZ.
    The hard drive packed in completly and the computer would not start at all.

6. TheWeaz

If you backed up to DVDs, the only thing on them would be the .tib image file.
    You need to launch TI either from Windows, or boot with the rescue CD, and run the program selecting the Recovery option.

7. w.bishop

I do not understand I am sorry. What do you mean by rescue disk?

8. TheWeaz

TI has an option under Tools to “Create Bootable Rescue Media”. This will create a CD that you can boot from and then run TI. If your HD should stop working altogether, you would have no way to run TI since it was installed on the failed HD. You, instead, boot from the rescue CD.

9. w.bishop

I will try this, and report back thank you.

10. FBMachines

Bishop,
    did you create an image of your hard drive or did you just backup the files? If you don't know can you list a few of the files on one of the DVD's?
    Corey

11. w.bishop

I could not find out how to make this cd disk

12. w.bishop

Hi again Corey.
    How can I do this please?

13. FBMachines

Bishop, This is taken from the version 10 user guide. It should be the same as your version though.

14. FBMachines

Bishop,
    when you said,
    can you type a few of the file names lised on the disc here?

15. w.bishop

The files are called:- Full Backup1.tib
    If I try to open the files it say`s:- Windows cannot open this file.

16. FBMachines

OK, that is what I needed to know. You did make an image of your hard drive. Have you looked in your start menu for the Acronis media builder? If you still can't find it you might need to reinstall True Image and make sure that the "Bootable Rescue Media Builder" option is checked.
    Corey

17. w.bishop

I will have to search to see if I still have the true image instalation disk

18. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

That is true ... only the True Image program will be able to access it. But it looks like you do have the backup files. An alternative is to copy them to a usb hard drive and try the Recovery then - by using the bootable True Image CD.

19. w.bishop

I could not find the original true image 9 disk, but I did find a acronis manager is this the disk I need?

20. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

In all previous versions the feature was there by default. I think Acronis made a big mistake by having it as a user option. EVERYONE needs to make this CD.

21. FBMachines

If you do still have the disc, that can also be used as a Bootable Rescue Disc. If you can't find the disc you can go to https://www.acronis.com/oem/my/ and sign up for an account. Once logged in you can register your product by simply entering your serial number for True Image. This will allow you to download the latest installer for your version. From that you can reinstall True Image with the "Bootable Rescue Media" Option. You might want to download and install this anyway to ensure you are using the latest build (For True Image 9 Home the latest build is 3677). You can check your version by opening True Image clicking Help then clicking About. It should be listed there. Check the build number then let us know what it is.
    Corey

22. FBMachines

Thanks for the clarification Ralfie. I use TIW 9.1 so things might be a little diferent from that. I agree this should be set by DEFAULT.

23. FBMachines

Bishop,
    I just reread your first post and it seems like you probably don't even have True Image installed on your current hard drive (That's why you can't find the Create Bootable Rescue Media Option). So follow the instructions listed above to download the installer and go from there. Do you still have your serial number for True Image?

24. TheWeaz

If you listen carefully, you can still hear the echoes of people screaming, “Why is this install so damn big!” :D

25. FBMachines

LOL... The masses are never happy! They want the software to do everything and still come in a nice, small, pretty package. What you gonna do?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.