6mths free for Kaspersky fan/

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n1g3lng, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Sounds like the same guys that work at Extendia AntiVirus. :) I tried to download their trial version once. They were supposed to send me the key, but I never heard from them. They don't like answering e-mails either. :doubt:

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I must say here that I never have a problem with extendia correspondance now. Garry always seems to reply within 24 hrs. I havent tried the request for the trial though. But they are real good with any queries that I may have concerning my Kav extendia.

3. someone

someone Guest

My experience was the same as Graystoke's. I was going to purchase three copies from Extendia and recommend them to clients. But I had a few questions which they absolutely refused to answer in writing. Insisted the questions could only be answered by phone (which meant no paper trail, of course).

They took good will and turned it into bad will so I dumped Extendia and I am VERY glad that I did. Because I subsequently installed KAV Personal 5.0.227 and found that it created much less of a performance hit on my computer than Extendia did. And, of course, you get both signature and program updates when you use KAV directly rather than the older, rebranded, version that Extendia offers.

4. solarpowered candle

yes thats not good ,although I would value speaking personally to some one rather than via email . However I live down under so they never offered to speak to me. I am fairly conversant with each of the KAV models and have found that my extendia single Kav engine is as fast and easy on my sustem as the 5. Albeit when I first loaded it up some months back now , I did have some issues. These were cleared up by simply not running my anti trojan on real time and also loading extendia up on a clean windows install , which I did when loading up process gaurd. I have not had to limit its capacity in any way or tweek it . I also run its email blocker . I know that many have found it a drag. This I believe is due to maybe not cleaning out there registry from all the previous bits n peices from other anti virus or Kav downloads , which is sure to gum the system. I also run regular maintainance and defrag to ensure it keeps flowing well with my other security . You mentioned you had tried Extendia , so you must have been one of the few who managed to download a trial?
    Regarding the time delay of downloads I asked Garry from extendia this question some time ago and he said there was none . I would say that if there is a time delay or relay it might be fractional ( a few seconds) This doesnt concern me as I chose to always download my manually. I have no concerns what ever over my anti virus security . I am very happy with Extendia Kav and for me its the ultra KAV LITE in reincarnation .

5. Unity

Unity Registered Member

What kind of version is the AVK single engine ? is it kinda like the cyberscrub (REALLY) lite version ?

Where did you buy it ? the extendia webiste is also a little messy when you deal with the single engine version.

6. solarpowered candle

Single extendia KAV uses the same KAV engine as eScan Free 4.6.9
    Cyberscrub is the 4.5 KAV lite that KL dicontinued last year.
    Extendia is really more liken to the KAV 4.5 version. I used KAV Lite for a few years and loved its simplicity and it was only around $19 . I was disapointed that its support was not to be continued. KAV Lite was a good affordable option for those , like myself, who wanted a set and forget anti virus at a very good price , yet provided the same detection as the KAV personal , without the extras. .
    The extendia single Kav is my option or choice as some thing that fulls the gap between the KAV Lite and the Kav 5 . It costs $9.95 first year and $8.95 there after. So its cheaper than the Lite. It also has more ability to make changes if one does not feel happy with the default settings. Its email plugin filter is excellent where as there was no email scanner on the Lite. Its not the true Lite version , but is Lite on price yet excellent on detection. Some have had issues with preformance hits , but that seems to be using the dual scanner ( pro) . I found that by cleaning up my system thoroughly first and defrag etc I have no preformance issues at all I do not run any other anti virus scanner currently so that may help. Nor do I run an anti trojan on real time as that I believe really slows the system down . KAV has excellent anti trojan detection. THe extendia page for the download info is http://www.extendiaavk.com/eXtendiaAVK.htm

7. Unity

Unity Registered Member

Thx a lot for the info :) , sadly if my english is not too rusty , that website mention the 9,99 price but also :

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  8. solarpowered candle

yes there are two versions . The 9.95 is direct download .
    the 19.95 is a CD version that you can have posted.

9. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

How can they offer an antivirus with the KAV engine for so little money compared to the actual KAV? Is something missing. Heck for $9.95, I think I'll purchase it and find out. [​IMG]

10. solarpowered candle

11. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I purchased Extendia Antivirus AVK download for $9.95. So far it's running nicely on my computer. I'm not sure if it's using the current KAV engine. It says it's AVK 11.0.4. Virus signitures are AVK 15.0.1468. Anyone know if this it the current KAV?

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

For this cheap price, both in the single-engine and Pro versions, you only have the older KAV engine.

You can only update the definitions and not the engine with eXtendia AV.

But I would not worry too much, as the older KAV engine still offers excellent protection, and possibly may even be more stable than the KAV 5 engine in Defender Pro.

13. jlo

jlo Registered Member

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I reported on this cheap package in the summer; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43085&highlight=eScan
    In fact you can even buy this CD for less than $10 now in some booksellers in the UK. Just look in their bargain basement bins!!!!!

It is however, bloated as you have an AV, Firewall, Parental Blocker and a Spam Killer all in the one package. So you may have to custom install what goes on your Dad's computer.

I bought it originally for my daughter's new laptop, but it brought her system to a standstill!!!!! Just installing the AV made life a little better, but again there was considerable slowdown in performance and the on-demand scanner was very, very, slow.

A potential bargain if it will run okay on your Dad's system.

IMHO, I still think Defender Pro, (if it is compatible with your computer) appears to be the best, value for money KAV-clone alternative at the present time.

15. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback.

May be not such a bargain if it slows down the computer a lot. May try running it on my computer first and see how it compares to F-secure.

Best Wishes

Jlo

16. manuel2

manuel2 Guest

Does anyone know if defender pro and/or defender pro 2005 allow you to install only the AV? Any conflicts with other security programs (firewalls, process guard, etc.)?

17. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

Well I went for Escan for £10 from Amazon. I am really pleased with it. Very good e mail scanner, Always looks for an update when I log on to broadband and I have set it to check for updates every 30 mins.

I normally get 3-4 or more updates a day! I think as soon as KAV bases are updated so are Escan and Extendia's who use the same engine.

I am using XP 1800 processor and its no slower (if not slightly quicker than F-secure)

My Father is running Extendia single engine (Kav based) and he very much notices the slow down when opening programs like Nero burner etc.

Cheers

Jlo

18. manuel2

manuel2 Guest

Jlo,

I have tried the free version of escan... Does the paid version allow you to configure how it handles infected files? The free version does not ask the user and just cleans/deletes the files. Same thing for registry entries. That can be a problem with false positives....

manuel

19. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi Manuel2,

Yes you can. With default it cleans or deletes with out any notification to the user but you can go in to the on access settings and configure it to report first, try disinfecting, if not delete etc etc.

The one thing that did suprise me is Heuristics is not turned on with the default settings. You need to go in to monitor settings (Bit like the KAV tree) and tick heuristics (I thinks its listed as advanced code analizer or somthing like that. I am writing the from my Father in Laws computer so don't have the program in front of me but can report back later in the week)

Best Wishes

Jlo

20. manuel2

manuel2 Guest

Jlo,

One more question: can you scan a file specified on the command line with escan? I know that files get scanned on access but there are situations in which it is useful to be able to scan a specific file passed to the program as a command line parameter. I'm using AVG now and it lets me do that. I think that KAV 5 added command line capability recently and I'm wondering about escan...

manuel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.