66% Of All Windows Users Still Use Windows XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Thankful, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The other 34% are o_O

3. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

It's obvious that companies and home users have no intention to spend money till the product reaches it's end of life. Globally families and businesses try to save money. So upgrading an OS that is still good it's obviously not a good investment these days and specially when the upgrade sometimes must be combined with hardware upgrade or new hardware.

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Yup still using it and in no hurry to "upgrade".

5. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

why updating it to 7,win8 is coming soon right.

6. davidlynch

davidlynch Registered Member

And MS insists that IE9, Windows Live Essentials 2011 and others should be out of XP.

No problem, we'll use Google apps today, and tomorrow a Google OS.

To those who don't think that lack of XP support is a problem, be always prepared to ditch OS and many apps in few years. Spend money regularly on (fat) software so your hardware needs money too, and be prepared to install and setup each app to do everything the way you want, again and again.

I hope that someday we find intelligent life in the universe, because here...

7. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Windows 8 some time in 2012. Not sure if that is classified as soon.

8. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

and that means more money for MS...no way jose.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Not really surprising. 7 has only been out for around a year now. When people buy new machines, they get 7. Still a lot of older machines out there with XP that haven't died yet. When they die, people just move on to what's currently available, 7 right now, who knows what in a few more years.

10. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Around 90% of the people i know do, including me.

I wouldn't have Vista given to me, even if you paid me :p Don't know anyone with W7 either, not locally anyway.

11. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Make that 67% *puppy*

12. davidlynch

Me too. My clients too. Servers with 2003, too :)

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

What do you mean, "few years"? XP was released in 2001. How much did you pay for your copy of it, and how long have you used it for? It's not like it's something you rarely use either, it's something you use EVERY time you sit down in front of your PC. How has it been not a good investment? Why is it that apps don't support a 9-year-old OS seems so surprising to you? Were you honestly still expecting the majority of apps you use to support Windows 98 in 2007, or for Mac apps today to still support Cheetah and Puma?

The level of nonsense from you is absolutely appalling.

It's telling why you claim to want to upgrade to ChromeOS instead. If you've been sticking to XP all this while, through thick and thin, it would mean - to any rational person, like my girlfriend - that it's serving your needs well, and there's no need to upgrade to Windows 7, Linux, ChromeOS or anything else. But you express this desire to upgrade. You express the desire to upgrade to something for FREE. And therein lies the crux of the matter: people like you want the latest and greatest, but are simply too cheap to pay for it, and turn to attacking Microsoft as a smokescreen for your own miserly egocentricity.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's keep the posts confined to the software and not the members. Thanks.

15. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

So do I. All " special effects " in security and GUI I have in XP with third part applications.

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I would think that it is totally reasonable to stick with an OS that works for you, it makes common sense. When the time comes then people will move to Win7.

I have an old tower XP workhorse that has seen me through thick and thin. I know where to find things on it, it has a kind of logic that helps me use it.

But... it is old and I know that it is showing signs of 'old age', little noises and graphics card looks dated etc. So I sat down and thought. ''Do I throw money at it and then it still gives up a few months down the line, or do I get a Win7 laptop'' I got a laptop.

I like the laptop, shiny and bright with a library!! Does things auto style without me having to do anything, it's really nice and I guess in time......

I am typing this post on my old XP workhorse :D :D :D

17. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

No huge surprise regarding the continued viability of XP; why change if it does everything you need ?

I remain with XP for the same reasons already posted;
    it (XP) offers everything I need, it works with the applications I consider to be indispensable, and I have more control over the parameters of this OS than with any other I've used.
    In fact, I believe in XP so much that I recently bought a new install CDs of Pro and Home.
    Full SP-2 versions of each with COA and verified key- total cost of less than $200.00 and both are transferable to another computer should I decide to make a change.

With XP Home Edition SP-2 (no SRP option and no LUA), IE 7, Sandboxie, WinPatrol Plus, Keyscrambler, Malwarebytes on-demand, and some common sense, I believe I'm as secure as someone running Windows 7.

18. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm one of the crazy people who preferred Vista to XP. o_O

7 is nice though, it seems to be selling faster than the proverbial hot cakes. I'm quite impressed with 7 64 bit.

19. tgell

tgell Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

And, since sp3 will be supported until 2014, I will keep using it until December 21, 2012. :D

20. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The sales figures don't mean much. Unless you buy a Mac, you basically have a choice of one. If XP and other OSs were still on the shelves, supported and on competitive hardware, the sales figures would be a lot different.

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm using a desktop with XP & a laptop with Vista64/PCLinuxOS dual boot.

I just bought a new netbook 3 days ago with XP. I'll dual boot after a while with PCLOS.

I think M$ will have to back peddle & still offer security updates for XP well into the future. The date I've heard is April 2014.

Here's a July 2010 article. Claiming:

"Microsoft has announced that downgrading to Windows XP will be available as an option to users of some Windows 7 SKU users until 2020."

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/0...life-to-2020-and-releases-windows-7-sp1-beta/

22. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Since I also have VISTA, I'll hold on to XP until 2014, at which point I'll switch to VISTA.

23. davidlynch

I'm happy (really) to see that there are many people that think like me :)

Thanks to everyone :)

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Not really. There are people who want an upgrade, they just don't want to pay for it, and there are people who don't want an upgrade at all because they're genuinely satisfied with the current version of their product. Big difference.

25. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

...And there are people who don't consider Vista or Windows 7 an upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.