64-bit PCs: Drivers wanted

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I do not understand why they are so slow to develop 64 bit drivers. 64 bits is the future and the only way to access 4 gigs or more RAM. At least Apple is going straight to 64 bit with Leopard. Part of me wonders why Microsoft made a 32bit version of Vista to begin with. I have been using Vista 64 for some time now and only had issues with my Belkin Nostromo n52 which I fixed with a hack. Everything else has been fine and I am quite happy.

Applications requiring 4gigs or more are already here and more are on the horizon. With more people editing HD video and playing games such as Company of Heroes at QXGA, WQXGA and QSXGA resolutions, 64 bit OSs should be the norm by now.

Which reminds me. I remember years ago when dual processors were introduced. You had to buy a special version of the WinNT to take advantage of it. Dual processors never took off then because no one took advantage of the architecture. Now look at us. Everyone is buying dual cores and even dual quad core systems. But we are still slow to take advantage of the architecture.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

The manufacturers are reluctant to make 64bit drivers, I had a tough time finding 64bit webcam drivers and only found beta ones which thankfully work, luckily, printer and scanner manufacturers have been kinder, Canon and Epson have x64 drivers for almost all their printers. The other sad fact is that software makers seem to be stuck in x32 mode, even the great Adobe which stands to benefit most from x64 still makes their program for 32 bit. Its a blatant waste to buy a x64 CPU and then use x32 programs on it via a emulation layer. Its like the old days of Pentium Pro which was a real powerful CPU way ahead of its time but due to programs being x16, PPro suffered immensely due to it not being reverse compatible. Having said all this, I must say, my x64 XP is almost a year old and everything I have on it runs fine thankfully so I get full use of my C2D CPU.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

MS decided, that Windows Seven will be 32-bit to provide better compatibility, but developers only take advantage of it, that they do not need to do 64-bit yet.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Although Ive switched to Vista x64 and finally made use of my Athlon 64, I am left wishing more developers (especially of security programs) would start working on x64 compatibility. Theres just not much variety in x64 compatible software.

Add to the fact that the next Windows will be available in 32-bit and Im a bit disappointed.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    We're talking Windows right? Because Linux has superb support for 64-bit processors. Twine a 64-bit processor with 64-bit kernel and you get warp speed 9.
    Mrk

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

No, we are talking about Windows aplications. Vista supports 64-bit CPU, dual core and quad core without problems. ;)

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Ubuntu 64 which I am using currently still lacks a lot from its x32 bit version, basic stuff like Flash etc. has to be installed via ndiswrapper, many more hurdles as well.

9. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I'm using Ubuntu 64 and the only thing missing is WINE.
    Apart from that, haven't found anything lacking.
    Mrk

10. Close_Hauled

You Linux users are living in a dreamworld when you state that there are plenty of 64 bit drivers for Linux. I see no 32 bit or 64 bit Linux drivers from the manufacturers of all the peripherals on my system. Companies like Logitech, Belkin, and Apple. I personally don't like the idea of searching around Souceforge for hacked drivers that might work and might be supported in the future. Stop finding excuses to tell us that Linux is better than Windows. We have all heard it before. It is tiring and boring. It is elitism and you are embarrassing yourselves.

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,

I have fairly new hardware - all my drivers have come with the mobo CDs (Asus). Likewise, I successfully downloaded and installed official Nvidia drivers. The only hacked driver is the printer driver - using HP for Lexmark and works great.

I don't see how I'm embarrassing myself by pointing our some fairly simple truths.

As to drivers, it's more than just drivers for peripherals. It's the integration of kernel with hardware. Try a 64bit Athlon with 64bit Linux and see for yourself.

BTW, the problem is not the Linux, but some companies that do not produce drivers for this operating system, showing their lack of ... professionalism.

Mrk

12. Arup

Arup Guest

I agree about driver issue for Linux x64, its the companies, but the same then can be applied to XP64 as well, its the companies that has been lax in their 64bit driver development, XP64 beta was out for a long time and so were the libraries, there was just no initiatives on the hardware maker's side to develop quality drivers for x64.

13. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Registered Member

Would you mind sharing the hack?

14. Close_Hauled

Posting it may violate the the TOS of the forum. Let me check with a moderator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.