64 bit integration, important or not??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Subgud, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

As i understand most antivirus today are compatible with 64bit systems. But mostly of them install in the x86 folder. Comodo IS 3.5 does not. It is fully integrated to 64bit systems.

So my question is if every security suite in the world would be fully integrated into 64 bits systems.. Would they be more secure than those installing via the x86 folder.o_O o_O And what is the difference between those two ways to install?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. Arup

Arup Guest

Currently AVs like Avira and Avast as well as Nod, KAV, Norton etc. work on the concept that you described above, however that doesn't mean any part of x64 is not being scanned, specifically WoW 64.

Comodo on the other hand has been a veteran x64 player and they have had x64 firewall with HIPS for a long while so its not surprising to see them with a solid full fledged x64 suite. Hopefully others will follow suit as well as I see this as a step in the right direction. Maybe the thought of creating two installers are keeping the AV makers away from the idea, however with popularity of x64 OS, it would change sooner if not later.

3. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

The BitDefender 2009 product line has x64 installers. I am running their Total Security package on my Vista x64 system even as we chat here so enjoyably....

4. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

But my question was.. Is it more secure running a security suite that is running as 64bit application or running a suite that is 64 bit compatible and installing in the x86 folder?

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There is no real difference. Kernel drivers have to be 64bit, thats a requirement (otherwise you can't install them anyway), but anything above that can still be 32bit without any real penalty (even 32bit apps run faster on 64bit OS).
    Ability to scan 32bit and 64bit applications is mostly thing of an antivirus engine and not drivers itself, though some features may fall under that as well, limiting 64bit program slightly. On Vista that is mostly because of PatchGuard.

6. i_g

i_g Registered Member

If implemented properly, it doesn't matter. (And the installation folder is completely irrelevant in any case.)

7. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Thank You!:D :thumb: I am just trying to understand how it works! It is good to have this forum to ask around!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.