64 bit installer error

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by dkyuss, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fidelius

Fidelius Registered Member

I have tried to install the latest version 3 of EAV and it works well. It should be the same for ESS. Too bad V4 is buggy.

2. dkyuss

dkyuss Registered Member

well ESS V3.0.694.0 64 bit installs and operates fine so far. I will have to use it awhile before I declare it functional... but it doesn't BSOD.

What are the differenses between V3 and V4?

Graphically, they look identical.

Virus signature database: 4439 (20090918 )
    Update module: 1028 (20090302)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1237 (20090915)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1097 (20090809)
    Archive support module: 1102 (20090915)
    Cleaner module: 1044 (20090826)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1012 (20090526)
    Personal firewall module: 1051 (20090812)
    Antispam module: 1012 (20090608 )

This setup works so far so good....

I have not tried disabling the individual V4 ESS drivers, and not sure what that would tell us other than that specific driver was causing the problem?

Do I settle with V3 until some fix is provided?

3. dkyuss

dkyuss Registered Member

Well, I was searching around on this forum for similar cases and found a few....

computertek commented on the service start mode in the registry and that his KAV did something similar and was set to '0' (Boot). Changing to 1 fixed him up.

Trencan, with your comments on the same registry setting to set to 4 (Disabled) I took a look at this setting with V4 reinstalled and noticed that only ehdrv and epfwtdi were set at start = 1. So I tried ehdrv first and set it to 2 and voila! No problems. No more BSOD on startup!

Hopefully this does the trick. Thanks for the help!

I can not foresee how this change might compromise ESS or affect my security level.... Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  4. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

start = 1 means: loader: I/O subsystem. Represents a driver to be loaded at Kernel initialization.

start = 2 means: loader: Service Control Manager. To be loaded or started automatically for all startups, regardless of service type.

So by setting to 2, you delayed loading of ehdrv driver. Once yoor PC is booted, is ehdrv driver running? You can check it with command in cmd.exe:
    sc query type= driver | find /I "ehdrv"

Ehdrv driver has 2 purposes: It provides Self Defence and AntiStealth technology.

5. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

There is an easier way.Just go to device manager, click view at the top of that window, click show hidden devices.Then a group called non-plug and play drivers will show up, find easdrv and set it from system to auto, if your still having problems you can alternativley set it to demand and that will make it load even later in the boot process in most cases.Epfwtdir should stay at system start, or auto only if your having problems though, and epfwtdir will not start on demand so never set it so.If your having problems with eamon, which I don't see many having, then you can try to set that from auto start to system start.But if windows sets eamon up right and it actually sticks as a level 2 file system driver, then it won't show up in device manager, even under hidden devices, it's supposed to be like that though.In that case then you have no choice but to go to registry services and change the setting from the registry.Glad I helped you and possibly others, if their still reading this and having the same issue, this is kinda an old thread.

Yes, for some reason, windows does not want easdrv or ehdrv set to system start, I allways change that one to auto or demand.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.