64 bit faster than 32?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by windstrings, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Anyone notice if the 64bit if indeed faster when installed on a 64bit OS like Win7?

Surely its not slower.. just wondering if it was noticeably faster.

And shouldn't No32 64bit be called "Nod64?"

And where do you confirm what version you are running.. after installing 64bit, I can't see any tags that show its the 64bit version?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Open the NOD32 main window by clicking the tray icon. Go to help, then about, and it will show your version.

3. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

On an x64 system, ESET GUI is 64-bit but the kernel is still 32-bit. At least, the main processes are.

Check processes egui.exe and ern.exe.

Jim

4. windstrings

ron, I still see nothing about the version.. it tells me what version of windows I'm running and processor etc.. but not what version of Nod I'm running.

ekrn.exe *32 is running in processes.

Just says "NOD 32 v4.2.350...

But no where if I'm really running 64 bit version verses 32bit version.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A 32-bit version of EAV/ESS will not install on Windows x64 and vice-versa.

6. windstrings

ok.. thanks.... most 32 bit software installs fine on my win 7 64 bit machine so I didn't know.....
    would be nice to have a ID tag somewhere in the "about" section.

One way I figured out how to confirm is because Windows knows.....

The eset directory is located in my "program files" directory which is all 64 bit stuff... otherwise it goes into "program files (X86)"

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. windstrings

Thanks Ron.. that was an excellent explanation....

I haven't tried 32 bit on this machine (DV8T, 4 Core Q720-I7 Processor, 8 gig ram etc) but I have played with it extensively without AV on it at all as I did a virgin install of Win 7 64 bit and went 3 days into configurations before I finally installed Nod32.

I can say that I can't see any discernible difference "or slowdown" with Nod32 64 bit installed.

Even after a reboot, the Nod screen pops up for only a second and goes away.

I'm only running a 16mb swap file on a 256gig SSD, total reboot time is about 35 seconds and I still have themes and lots of goodies loaded.

Since I've never ran 32 bit on this machine I honestly didn't know if I was gaining any benefit from running the 64 bit version... as the simple speed of the machine is so much faster than my older laptop it would be hard for me to know.... "is it the 64bit program thats faster, or the machine making it appear faster?

IN other words, I was not qualified to really compare since I hadn't installed 32 bit.

I know some folks have been frustrated that Nod had a little slowdown with Version 4 but I'm thinking 64bit has allowed Nod to redeem itself to the days of "not being able to tell its even installed".

I know I'm sounding redundant, but I'm thinking the 64bit is bound to be faster than 32bit since I can't even tell its running :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.