6 Months FREE BD IS 2015

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by daman1, Jan 26, 2015.

1. darts

darts Registered Member

Why is Bitdefender internet security 2015 still using about 230 mb of memory? I find this a lot.

2. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

a post I copied from Roger_m, all credit goes to him:

"Memory usage only matters if your system does not have enough RAM installed. If you have plenty of RAM e.g. 4GB of more than the amount of RAM a security solution uses does not matter, as you will still have plenty of free RAM even if the security software is using several hundred megabytes of RAM.

What matters is CPU and disk use, as if either of these becomes too high, then system performance will be affected. Infact some antiviruses with low RAM usage have much higher disk usage than antiviruses which use plenty of RAM."

Who cares about RAM?!?! I never even check how much RAM an AV uses, all I care about is how light my system feels and how it does or doesn't affect web browsing and downloading speed. Let it use all of the RAM it needs. The more it uses the better since it will have most of its components loaded into RAM for faster operation.

RAM usage was important back then in the year 2000 not now

3. darts

darts Registered Member

Ok thank you for youre explanation :)

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I spoke to soon. BD started causing extremely slow start up times. Removed BD and start up back to normal. Have had problems with BD everytime I have had it installed.

5. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

You will get a slight delay with boot,if you go in settings and untick "early boot scan" that will speed up load time some.

open UI/protection/Anti virus,gear/custom/miscellaneous/ then uncheck early boot scan

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Well, I tried it for a week and the experience was not positive.

Pros:
    Highly effective (as per AV-Comparatives)
    Light on CPU

Cons:
    Very slow boot, and very erratic; sometimes I'd be faced with the welcome screen for ages, others with a black screen, others the desktop would show immediately but everything would freeze for minutes (this was with the early scan disabled).
    Browser slow downs; sometimes pages would take long to load, others would not load properly (some elements wouldn't show).

I uninstalled it and can confirm that their uninstall tool works very well.

7. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Joxx
    :argh:

8. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

update:

I went back to Avast but got very disappointed. Apart from the issue itself some answers from Avast Evangelists were idiotic to say the least.

So I'm giving BD another go.
    The slow boot is still there but the browser slow downs are less pronounced. I also notice frequent Web Protection alerts blocking resources which is comforting. I took the key from this giveaway (which offered 9 months to my current 6) and it was accepted.
    Lest some serious problem arises I'm keeping this program.

9. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Bit is a good program you'll have some issues with any AV, ill live with a bit of browser slowness knowing im protected well.

the way I understand free promotions like that can not be added to existing licenses. Im confused on how you got this too work?

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=57403&hl=

10. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

That's what I always heard.
    But since the mail with the key was exactly like the previous one (even the download link) I tried and it worked;
    the key was accepted the number of days left changed from 167 to 270.

11. anon

anon Registered Member

To accept a new license is one story and to add a new license is another.

Your license just changed, from the old 6M to the new 9M:
    and not
    days left changed from 167 to 437 (167 [current] +270 [new 9M] = 437)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.