5 Year AV solution by Kaspersky for $ 49.95

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hollywoodpc, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

(ATLANTA, GA) -- CyberScrub LLC, an Atlanta based developer of computer security tools today released CyberScrub AntiVirus, Lifetime Edition and announced the "Ax the Tax" campaign against expensive annual subscriptions.

This new antivirus program prodvides the user a five year signature update subscription- generally considered to be the life of a computer. For the cost of what is typically a single year license, this new product will provide four additional years' benefit.
    Read entire article...
    Features

Checks the computer and diskettes for viruses on demand
    Provides five year update subscription
    Continuously checks for viruses in all files upon their opening or executing
    Scans for viruses in MS Outlook Express email databases
    Removes viruses from ZIP archives
    Streamlined updating of the antivirus data base
    Includes Kerio Firewall for added protection
    Super fast and powerful scanning engine
    Updates available every three hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
    Prompt, courteous and reliable customer service
    Extreme ease of installation and use - Install and forget!
    Schedule scans
    Award winning technology

CEO Bill Adler and
    Kaspersky CEO Natalya Kaspersky
    sign licensing agreement in Moscow.

I heard of this but , did not know it was Kaspersky . Wow

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Re: Lifetime Av solution by Kaspersky for $ 49.95

Its actually quite a cool anti virus. I use it . Iv been a fan of this since the days when it was Kav lite. They actually only charge you $39 when you buy it , even though its advertised for $49. There is some support also . The first level is ok , however if you have any serious issues then it appears to get passed on to support that does know what they are on about. This may take a few days longer but its good support ( at least that is my experience ) .
    It is ultra simple and excellent for a pc that needs good sound protection without all the bugs and bells. It is the 4.5 kav as far as im aware although they call it Cyberscrub 1.00 , so perhaps theres room for developement each year. Its very lite on my system in real time also. There is little to do with it as there is little to know about its workings and updates , unlike kav 2006 etc. It lacks alot of the modern day benefits that the 2006 has thats for sure . I really havent a clue how far behind the updates are and when I asked their support this question they just replied "its not" . However its also an excellent ondemand av to have at a very good price. It would give good av/ wormz/ trojan protection for most sane users. It does not register in the windows security centre fully. It states that kaspersky av reports that it is installed but its status is unknown. Also I cannot run a scan in safe mode with cyberscrub. It updates manually or automatically (every 4 hrs) or when you first go online. Its not too shabby .
    I chose not to install kerio 2 with it but run it with looknstop .

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

CyberScrub is actually quite a nice AV. The latest version is 1.2

But does anyone know whether it can use the extended databases?

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If you can edit the servers, then simply add: _ext, to every server, so it looks like this:
    It should work, but use "prompt user for action" as action if virus is detected.:)

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Initially this offer looks very cost effective.

BUT if only engine and definition upgrades are available and not program/version upgrades then even with a KAV engine, CyberScrub AV becomes less atttractive as the license period nears the end.

Defender Pro IMO, may still be the better KAV clone cut-price offer.

6. Firecat

I'm kinda looking for a KAV-based AV thats somewhat cheap (within USD 39.95) and fills the job of protecting the average user (my brother), AND is available online. Defender Pro is not available online, so right now CyberScrub is looking good.....Extendia (or GDATA) AVK may also be nice....

7. solarpowered candle

The extendia avk single engine is very good and costs around $10 . Its no good in real time though . It slows the system down to a halt. It perhaps may not be so good for your brother . Their support can fluctuate also from good to non existant.
    There is nothing wrong with the kav lite. Its able to offer good av/trojan/worm protection on its own. Iv not heard of any one on any forum including the kav ikonboard forums where the current version was beta tested (4.5) say they have ever had any infections slip through. as a back up he could run a online scan at the kav online scanner now and again also .
    If cyberscrub keep to their word then their will be timely engine and definition upgrades as well as program/version upgrades
    Many users still opt for kav 4.5 in preference over 5 still. It wasnt that long ago that the 5 became reasonbly ok on many systems and some were still opting for the 3.5 and 4.5 complaining about massive slowdowns as well as other conflicting issues. It was then that we noticed a lot of 5 versions appearing at big discount prices on the shelves and bargin basements. Its humming along nice now that all the bugs and issues have been ironed out. The new 2006 is where all the attention is being placed. . My feeling is for 99.999% of surfers cyberscrub is possibly safer and easier than what most play round with. The simplicity of it is what may and has put many off . In the days of kav lite , in my opinion, they opted to market a product at $40 than one that can virtually do the same job for $18 ( which was the licence for kav lite.)

8. Socio

Socio Registered Member

This is particularly relevant as we will likely migrate from XP to Vista in the next year or so and most licenses like this only cover current OS. So when you upgrade to a new OS you will need a new version of the product with a new license.

9. Firecat

Well, I'm sure CyberScrub wouldnt just ditch people migrating to Vista......

10. Firecat

Well, CyberScrub AV does not support extended database, and according to support, it will not upgrade its KAV engine "for the time being". :(

11. solarpowered candle

o thats a shame . You will just have to buy your bro the new 2006 next year :)

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The KAV engine upgrades are included in the normal definition updates. They probably meant that they will not upgrade the present program/version of KAV in Cyberscrub AV.

13. Farq

Farq Guest

Does anyone know if this Kaspersky engine creates Alternate Data Streams? I swore off Version 5 because of those pesky things.

Thanks for any reply

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You don't have to install ADS with ver 5 it is optional during install.

15. Farq

Farq Guest

Thanks for your speedy and informative reply. I will watch the install more carefully next time.

cheers

16. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Farq

Next time you install, just do this:

You will during the install encounter this window:

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/1415/k47hg.jpg

Here you uncheck "Operate according to recommended settings", click next and proceed to the next window:

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/6915/k58gf.jpg

Here you uncheck "Use real-time protection against network attacks" (if you already use a firewall, this is also where you disable the iStreams technology, if you so wish), click next and finish the install as you would normally do.

Important: IDS is a part of the firewall, and it cannot replace a fully functional firewall on your computer. Kaspersky Labs recommends you to use this system (Intrusion Detection System) only if you do not have a personal firewall on your PC. In order to have full control over network activity on your computer (control over applications' network activities, packet filtering) we recommend to use a fully functional personal firewall

17. Farq

Farq Guest

Thanks Don Pelotas. I see where I erred.

Farq out

18. Firecat

BTW CyberScrub AV does NOT create Alternate Data Streams. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.