5 minutes later & Avira Sec. Suite still won't update..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Straight Shooter, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

Since yesterday I have been finding Avira Security Suite impossible to update.. manually.

I haven't noticed any automatic updates because I can't stand by my computer for hours on end... but I can't get it to update manually..

I know Avira has updating issues, but I thought it was on purpose for the Free users.. Not the pay or trial users...

Anyone know what's going on?
    Jim

2. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Are you sure updates are available? Last one was Friday afternoon (US central time).

If you go to the control center and click the + by "last update" what definition file does it show?

And what kind of message or indication do you get when you click "update" in the control center?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  3. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hello,

I am having a similar problem. When I try to manually update, nothing seems to happen . . . no error message, no pop-up window, nothing.

I think there should, at least, be a message saying something like, "No updates currently available," or something?

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The last update listed at Broadband Security forum is Oct.5.
    I think jmshwartz is right.Should be a message about being up to date etc..

5. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

By manual update, do you mean downloading the defs and installing them or just clicking "update" in the control center?

There normally is a message for the latter. I see it all the time!

6. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hi Thug,

I mean trying to update either by pressing F9 or the "Update" option within the program.

I see no message window at all. I've uninstalled and reinstalled two times today, and nothing seems to help.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,
    Jim

7. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

Same issue here. Went back to my old AV instead.

8. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

This is what I see when I hit f9 or click "start update." The Suite is the same (I have both).

Attached Files:

9. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

I wish I saw that. Alas, no window of any kind pops up. And I have no extra popup-blocking software installed, either. :oops:

10. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Have you tried manually true preupd.exe in your antivir folder. Firewall/proxy settings changed perhaps

11. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hello De Hollander,

Your suggestion sounds good. Alas, I've uninstalled Avira and am awaiting someone on the company's BB to suggest a fix. Maybe I'll get courage again and try for the third time today to install Avira.

Again, thanks for the idea.

Regards,
    Jim

12. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

;)

If it works (preupd.exe) take a look at scheduler, check if it's started and set to automatic.

13. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Yesterday AVIRA would popup trying to download and hang untill id shut it down within taskmanager. Ive set it to check for updates every 3 hours and now and again i press update myself. That all didnt work yesterday.

Ive been running avira suite for several days now, it looks real nice and is darn light but there are bugs to workout.

I password protected the firewall but it wont ask for pass if shutdown from avira console. Not a good thingh.

During every session of newsleechin avira firewall would bsod on me. Weird really especially nice i never install a thirdparty firewall.

Ive deinstalled the firewall for now and kept all other suite components without a problem.

14. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Well, I tried to install the program again, and once again it did not show any popup window during the manual update process. I even downloaded the zip file and used the real manual update facility. The program showed that it was updated to the current definitions after this, but after a reboot it still did not open a popup window to show that the program was updated.

Oh well, I've uninstalled the program once again. Hopefully, someone from Avira (I have a message on their forum) will help me find out what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks to all for your help.

Regards,
    Jim

15. Straight Shooter

It finally updated after I waited a couple of hours. So that tells me the problem was on their end, not mine. I will go home and try to manually update my wife's computer and my laptop and report back. No message or nothing.. Just no update for I believe 5 hours.. I think their servers were hanging..

I am going to try to configure my systems to automatically update every hour so I can better keep track of this situation, then I will try to find the time to post on their (Avira's) forum.
    Jim

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Same here.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

working and updating like a charm for me, as always.:)

18. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hello,

Radu at Avira figured it out. Seems that Symantec's uninstaller can occasionally remove a common registry key "Common AppData" which is needed for Avira's update window to show.

Replacing the key per Radu's instructions fixed the problem. Thanks to all here who offered assistance, too.

Regards,
    Jim

19. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

20. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I have the situation where when I click on "update on" aviras taskbar icon, update.exe is launched, and does seem to check for updates, but produces no window.
    Clicking update a second time - the window appears as per normal.

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The last update was at 3PM Hawaii Standard Time Friday afternoon. Since then Avira has been connecting every hour to look for updates but there have been none.

Evidently though, that Fri update killed avgnt.exe again. :( I have no umbrella in the systray. I hadn't noticed until I started reading this thread. avguard.exe is running though as is scheduler.exe.

22. Straight Shooter

I can assure you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, my desktop never had Symantec installed.

23. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hi Strait Shooter,

Maybe some other program changed the CommonApData key in the registry? It wouldn't hurt to check out Thug's link above to be sure.

Regards,
    Jim

24. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Same here.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I just installed the Suite yesterday after a reformat, and it updated then around 5pm (Saturday) my time, but no updates since then and today is Sunday. No problems with the tray icon though. Nothing else weird, and it's checking for updates when it's supposed to judging by the logs. So I don't see any problems here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.