5 Alternative Search Engines That Respect Your Privacy

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay thanks.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I was lazy not to read that. :D Thank you. :)

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Good information there. Thanks, Tom.

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello Thread:

Where does Duck Duck Go host it's search engine?

It need a host server like everything else.

If somebody here can check that I'd appreciate it.

5. Escalader

Hello Thread:

Here is what I found for Duck Duck Go , one private residence and an Amazon Cloud server. My Firewall blocked the outgoing flash.duckduckgo.com 137 Block NetBIOS

Can someone else verify?

www.duckduckgo.com
    10:35:21 AM SYSTEM OUT UDP flash.duckduckgo.com 137 Block NetBIOS Traffic 0 0
    IP Addresses Report

Created by using IPNetInfo
    Order 1
    IP Address 72.94.249.36
    Status Succeed
    Country USA - Pennsylvania
    Network Name FTTP
    From IP 72.94.249.32
    To IP 72.94.249.39
    Address Private Residence
    SCHUYLKILL

Email IPNMC@gnilink.net
    Resolved Name flash.duckduckgo.com

Order 2
    IP Address 184.72.106.52
    Status Succeed
    Country USA - Washington
    Network Name AMAZON-EC2-7
    From IP 184.72.0.0
    To IP 184.73.255.255
    Address Amazon Web Services
    Elastic Compute Cloud
    EC2
    1200 12th Avenue South
    Seattle

Email aes-noc@amazon.com
    Resolved Name ec2-184-72-106-52.compute-1.amazonaws.com

6. syncmaster913n

syncmaster913n Registered Member

I've tried out a few search engines other than Google (particularly DuckDuckGo), and I'm sorry to say that their algorithms are nowhere near as good as Google's.

The way I see it, these other SE's are good if you are searching for really basic stuff, without using too complicated and compound keywords. If you are searching for something more complicated and plan to use a few random related keywords, all the other SE's are basically ripped apart by Google's capabilities, as far as my experience goes.

One example that comes to mind: I was trying to find a certain video game that I played a long time ago. I could not remember the name of the game, but knew that if I saw it I would recognize it. What I knew is that the game was made by a Czech company, and that you played a robot as the main character. So I typed in something like "game czech robot" (note: it might have been a bit different, but not by much) in a few search engines, other than google. None of the first few webpages in any of these SE's produced a helpful result. I searched for the same thing in Google - the very first link was to a game review of that exact game I was looking for, with the game name nicely visible in the title.

I've had many other similar situations, but this is the one I remember the most because of it's extreme nature. The more complex the search keywords got, the better Google did compared to the other SE's.

It's Google for me, no contest.

7. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Yeah, I can see that. However, some of these sites will use Google anyway. For instance, privatelee uses both Google and Bing results.

8. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I use StartPage and have to go to Google only maybe once or twice every few sessions. They are my default on everything.

PD

9. Escalader

Yes looking at the links of DuckDuckGo it has links to Google, Youtube, Twitter etc.

The thread says "Respect Your Privacy". It is not in my view focused on "effectiveness" of the searching.

10. syncmaster913n

syncmaster913n Registered Member

It's definitely related. There is no sense in using something for privacy's purpose, if the product is significantly lacking in functionality. I wanted to share my experience with other SE's functionality, which to me is so low that I definitely prefer using Google and having less privacy, than using an inferior product only for the purpose of maintaining some extra privacy.

Also, let's not get carried away; every thread will get slightly "derailed" (if you want to call it that in this case). As long as the thread starter doesn't mind (and he doesn't seem to, given that he himself is discussing issues not directly related to "privacy of SE's), and the discussion is hovering around the main title, I think it should be fine - we are not robots. If mods think otherwise though, I will of course follow.

11. Escalader

No problem, it is just my privacy bias which I make no appology for and yes I know none was asked for:D

I'm giving in my findings on the duck and didn't like what I saw, links to google, private residences etc.

So, in a nut shell I'm not sure it does respect my privacy. If as you say it is not a good searcher well.... the whole matter is mute.

What I want is a search engine that can PROVE it respects privacy.

Claims need proof.

12. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

Would that make it a lame duck? ;)

13. guest

guest Guest

Is the game you searched for named Machinarium?

I did some tests with "game czech robot". Here are some findings:

Bing returned Machinarium.net as its #5 result. Bing also returned a YouTube video about Machinarium as its #4 result.

DDG returned Machinarium.net as its #6 result. DDG also returned a YouTube video about Machinarium as its #1 result.

Google returned Machinarium.net as its #1 result. Google also returned a YouTube video about Machinarium as its #3 result.

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, if it limps like a lame duck, quacks like a lame duck ... LOL

15. Escalader

Well, in a word yes... if it looks like a duck and......... you can fill the rest!:D

16. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Since somebody mentioned it (I didn't want to offend users of DDG), I have to agree that DuckDuckGo search results are seriously lacking. StartPage, PrivateLee (most clever name of the bunch) are much better with results.

17. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

18. Yura

Yura Registered Member

Lol what? What is Platzhirsch? It does not make any sense in Russian.
    Yandex is a great SE which dominated russian SE market before Google ate that one too. But Yandex positions are still very strong. Have no idea about their privacy stand because since it's based in Russia what they say in TOS doesn't mean a quack. (Could not resist lame duck joke :))
    P.S. But mind you, Yandex always does and always will prefer .RU domains and shows russian based pages closer to top. Russian language pages it's first priority.

19. hashed

hashed Registered Member

I have to agree that DDG is not always the best option, but I typically start with them; but these are definitely good to add to the arsenal.

~h

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.