5.0.95 Final Release Still Not Working

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ljg, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljg

ljg Registered Member

I downloaded 5.0.95, posted on the Web site yesterday, only to find that my systems still freeze when connecting an external USB drive.

C'mon, guys. This is getting a bit ridiculous.

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Hi,

If you would like to call ESET US | 1-866-343-3738

Regards,

3. layman

layman Registered Member

It doesn't work for me, either. Problem is: I'm also getting the freeze when I revert to v4. Don't know what that suggests. I haven't kept a log, but I know this was the case when I initially installed v5, then dropped back to v4. So I restored to an image I had taken beforehand and everything appeared to return to normal. Since then, I've made the mistake of installing v5 without taking precautions. Arghhh.

EDIT: I failed to add that I do NOT get the "freeze" when running nekked (without NOD32).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. Phonemes

Phonemes Registered Member

Have you checked the state of your harddisks? I tried version .95 a few weeks ago before it was officially released and still had the freezing issue. I then went back to version 4 and discovered my computer still froze when my external usb-drive was connected. Next I found out most of the files on that harddisk had vanished. The folders on the disk were sorted alphabetically and Windows Explorer didn't list any folders beyond B. I then ran a diskcheck using Portable HD Tune, which showed at least 90% of the blocks on that disk were damaged. I tried to save my files (hundreds of digital albums!) with Rucova, but the disk has become completely unapproachable.

Version .95 may perhaps have solved the freezing issue, but if your disk got damaged due to the problems with the earlier version, you may still experience freezing. (That, at least, was my experience.)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  5. GreenWhite

GreenWhite Registered Member

Thanks for informing us about that ljg.

I have decided to wait for the 100% fix. Not wanting to risk an external hd failure.

Only eset knows why it took them so long to fix this issue. Its been 85 days since I first installed v5 and having this problem.

The good news is they know its not 100% effective. So I guess more waiting ..........

6. layman

layman Registered Member

The disks are OK, and, if I uninstall NOD32, I don't experience a freeze and the disks mount normally.

This appears to be a problem in low-level code. The word "freeze" is rather a misnomer, since a process monitor doesn't reveal anything that looks abnormal to me. Indeed, if you fire up a program like Process Explorer, that program will continue to function normally. But the OS goes into something of a stupor. Other programs that may be running report as non-responsive, the START button goes numb, etc.

There has been significant economic cost due to this defect. That cost is borne by the customers, not the vendor. That is a current reality of product software, but I expect someday that will change. Developers will have to get a lot more serious about quality control when that day comes. I have wasted a lot of time on this release, and can't help realizing that I never have these sorts of problems with the other commercial antivirus we use in our small shop. ESET is close to having bought its lunch so far as I am concerned. It's bad enough that this thing escaped into the wild, but even more serious that it's been at large for so long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.