4th SATA disk not seen in bootable CD Disk Map

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by djom, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djom

djom Registered Member

Hello,
    Got 3 SATA2 drives (C:, D: and F:) and one SATA3 drive (G:). Drive G: is formatted NTFS.
    Running Paragon under Windows 7, I can see all 4 drives.
    Building the Recovery Media under the form of a CD and rebooting from this CD I see only the 3 1st drives...
    ..is it normal ?
    My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R.
    The 3 first drives (SATA2) are on ports SATA2-0, SATA2-1 and SATA2-3 (SATA2-2 is for the DVD). The 4 ports SATA2-{0-3} are managed by the Intel ICH10R controller.
    The 4th drive (the one that Paragon bootable CD does not detect, a WD 500GB SATA3) is plugged onto port GSATA3-7, managed by a Marvell 9128 chip.
    I tried to unplug one of the 3 1st drives (in case it was a limitation to max 3 drives) but still, the SATA3 drive on the Marvell controller will not appear in the Disk Map...
    Brgds/djom

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

When you Press F12 to boot from the Paragon CD, do you see the fourth drive listed then? If not than the Paragon CD won't see it either. You need drivers for the 4th drive's controller.

3. djom

djom Registered Member

Hi Bill,
    Yes the drive does appear when I press F12 (by the way I do not need to press F12 to boot from the CD, BIOS is set to boot from CD 1st).
    I did install Marvell drivers from Gigabyte CD then from Gigabyte site. I guess that if I had not done so I would not have been able to partition and format this 4th drive from Windows 7 as I did (unless I miss something).
    Brgds/djom

4. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I thought maybe that it might be like USB 3.0 using a PCIe card. That drive won't appear in the list because drivers aren't loaded at that point but since yours does, I'm clueless as why you don't see the drive. I'm sure somebody will respond with a answer for your problem.

5. djom

djom Registered Member

The problem came from the bootable CD (Linux/DOS) which does not have the proper drivers to see my SATA3 drive (Marvell chip). I opened a ticket and was surprised to see an answer next day (no too bad for a free edition), that is :

"This problem usually appears if Recovery CD meets some hardware it doesn't support. The thing is that the Recovery CD that's available in your version of the program is a Linux/DOS based Recovery CD. This meas that it was created on basis of a Linux OS (Normal mode) or DOS (Safe modes), that's why it doesn't contain all the drivers the Windows OS contains. This problem can be solved by using the WinPE based Recovery CD, but you need to purchase a full version of the program (Personal Edition for example) to get it, because Microsoft license agreement doesn't allow us to include it into our free products."

I purchased the home edition, used the provided WinPE bootable CD and it worked very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.