4 Bay USB External Interface Hard Drive Enclosures

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am considering getting a 4 Bay SATA Internal Interface/USB External Interface Hard Drive Enclosure. My motive for doing this is the added Security of having my backup SATA hard drives (currently Internal) accessible only when backing up data to or retrieving data from them.

The thing that concerns me the most is that a few years ago someone said that a 2 Bay Rosewill External Enclosure made the hard drives not readable by Windows if they were ever transferred from the external enclosure to be used as an Internal SATA hard drive. I want to use the External Enclosure as a JBOD (No RAID) with the peace of mind of knowing that any hard drive that is added to or removed from the External Enclosure will be readable from Windows, Linux, etc. Of course, I also want a "Reliable" External Enclosure.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

For some time now I've been using a pair of Sans Digital TR4U enclosures.
    USB 2.0 only, each holds four SATA drives (maximum 2TB capacity per drive), JBOD.

In more than a year, absolutely no problem of any kind. All drives are recognized by Windows, all drives are recognized via recovery CD, image creation and restore are successful using Paragon and Macrium. Additionally, I have experienced no functional issue with any other software capable of reading an external device and have successfully performed various tasks such as creating/resizing/wiping/deleting partitions.

The hard drives populating my TR4Us are of various capacities and brands, so no conflicts there.

In short, I have no complaints with the enclosures I own.
    What you are considering is more advanced, holds five HDDs, and will offer much faster data transfer rates so I can see no reason why you wouldn't be happy with it.

Good luck in your search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.