4.2.40 - Failure during the package install - exit code: 1603

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by maximx86, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximx86

maximx86 Registered Member

Hello,

I am getting : Failure during the package install - exit code: 1603, description: Fatal error during installation. on a few machines when I am pushing the updates. I have the latest ERAC and ERAS.

In ERAC:
    1. "Get Info" completes successfully
    2. "Diagnostics" completes successfully

I found the info about error Error 1603, but I don't have any other AVs installed and I have been using ESET for almost 2 years now

Error 1603 on push installation: Generic error
    Cause: The installer is detecting other Antivirus software on the computer. Uninstall the previous antivirus/firewall. If you try installing the .msi manually on the computer, it will show a message that another Antivirus progam such as "AVAST" was detected. Uninstall that software and redo the push installation. Not enough disk space or a corrupted Windows installer can also cause this error.

4. I ran ESET msi installer locally to ignore any conflicts (IGNORE_CONFLICTS=1). It didn't work...

The failed installation left some folders and registry entries I cannot take ownership either as a local or a domain admin

HKLM\Software\ESET
    HKLM\Software\ESET\Security
    HKLM\Software\ESET\CurrentVersion
    HKLM\Software\ESET\CurrentVersion\Info
    HKLM\Software\ESET\CurrentVersion\InstalledVersionInfo
    HKLM\Software\ESET\CurrentVersion\Plugins
    HKLM\Software\ESET\CurrentVersion\RAClient
    HKLM\Software\ESET\CurrentVersion\Scanners
    HKLM\Software\ESET\CurrentVersion\Scheduler

5. I followed this guide and tried to remove NOD in Safe Mode http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289 but the Uninstaller crashes without any logs in EventViewer

Here is the output from SubInAcl when I try to grant permissions to one of the keys:

subinacl /subkeyreg "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler" /grant=administrators=f
    Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler : delete Perm. ACE 5 builtin\administrators
    Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler : delete Perm. ACE 4 builtin\administrators
    Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler : new ace for builtin\administrators
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is denied.

Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler\1 : delete Perm. ACE 5 builtin\administrators
    Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler\1 : delete Perm. ACE 4 builtin\administrators
    Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler\1 : new ace for builtin\administrators
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler\1 - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is denied.

Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler\100 : delete Perm. ACE 5 builtin\administrators
    Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler\100 : delete Perm. ACE 4 builtin\administrators
    Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler\100 : new ace for builtin\administrators
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Scheduler\100 - RegSetKeySecurity Error : 5 Access is denied.

Any ideas?

2. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

First off, the 1603 error is coming from the MSI Installer. Googling that error came up with pages of hits, with all sorts of suggestions. I noticed both Symantec and McAfee had KB articles on this error, I'd check them out.

I noticed several articles said to clear temp files. I'd give that a try first in case prior installers in the temp folder are causing errors.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Check permissions for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESET key via regedit. The key is not protected by self-defense in safe mode so it must be a problem with permissions themselves that prevents you from granting permissions via SubInAcl.

4. maximx86

maximx86 Registered Member

Hello,

I followed many KB articles from different AV vendors and many others I found on google. No much help I am afraid.

Like Marcos said the issue is the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESET key. I tried to change permissions and even delete it but I couldn't (even in SafeMode).

I installed RegistryMechanic and it recognised the key as corrupt but it couldn't do anything either. I had a support guy trying to fix that few times to no avail. In the end he asked me to install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Has ESET corrupted the registry? I have few other machines with that problem.

Any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.