3TB truecrypt problem

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by d3r_k0m155ar, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d3r_k0m155ar

d3r_k0m155ar Registered Member

Say 0strodamus, I was wondering if you would help me out concerning a post that you made a few months ago. It concerns encrypting drives > 3TB with truecrypt.

I have a 3TB Seagate GoFlex external hard drive which includes the USB 3.0 desk adapter.

First, I removed the drive from the desk adapter and hooked it up inside my desktop tower via SATA and wiped it clean with DBAN.

I then booted up windows 7 and ignored any formatting offers (since windows 7 is ever eager to wipe data out) and opened my truecrypt client. I then encrypted the drive and it was even friendly enough to use create a ntfs file system for my data.

I then booted up scientific linux and mounted the drive with truecrypt via command line (I have logs of these commands back home and can paste them in if you think they would help). I backed up all of my data to the drive via rsync and then shut the system down. I then removed the drive from my desktop and mounted it back on the USB 3.0 desk adapter.

I went over to my macbook and connected the drive via usb. With the mac truecrypt client, I found the drive and attempted to mount it. When I entered in my password, an error appeared "Error: Incorrect/Invalid parameter". I then took it to my windows machine and attempted to mount it there. Same Error.

Any Ideas how I can get this to work? The data does not matter since it is safe on another machine, I just want to be able to securely carry around all of my data and access it via the 3 operating systems I employ in my day-to-day life. As I write this, I'm beginning to suspect that it may have something to do with the USB 3.0 desk adapter.

Please let me know what you think. I know this is the wrong forum, but the other one was closed and I didn't know how else to reach you. We can take this conversation elswhere once you see this. Thanks in advance!

2. d3r_k0m155ar

d3r_k0m155ar Registered Member

Good news folks, it looks like the USB 3.0 desk adapter is the culprit. I was able to mount the drive error free once I reconnected it via SATA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.