3rd choice paid AV please?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tobamore, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

Hello,
    We are lucky enough to own 3 pcs and my pc has nod32 & ewido, 2nd pc has Kav & tds3 and 3rd pc will have ewido and another av. My question is, given that I want all 3 pcs to have different avs and I have already chosen the best two, what would be the next best av to buy?

I appreciate that many will think I'm mad, but please, bear with me?

mtia

#
    Toby.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

tobamore,

The next best in my opinion would be ArcaVir. It has a very good balance between signature and heuristic detection, with both of them being VERY good.

Its also light and feature-rich and cheap. And o yeah the support is awesome, ask the other members.

Regards,
    Firecat

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

the other one in the top three would be mcafee ;)

4. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Go with McAfee, BitDefender Pro 8, AVAST are greats Programs

5. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I mean no offense by this but it amuses me that you proclaim your "top three" but they surely don't match my "top three", hehe .. each to his own I guess .. take care my friend! :D

6. Firecat

For Randy its Symantec/Norton...and that's also a very good AV, though I think its costly.

7. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Why don't you try a Free AV like Avast! :)

8. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

We can all agree that KAV is the King! Hehe .. but KAV is very pricey, if we are talking $$ investment. :D :D

9. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

:)

It's a fair question, but I believe theres no such thing as a free lunch and as far as avs go, I would assume that the paid for avs are generally better. After all, if they want our money, they should be more hungry...

#
    Toby

btw Randy, I prefer nod32, just don't want to put all our eggs in one basket...

:)

10. Firecat

In my country NAV cost more. But then, it differs for many people :D

11. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Go with DrWeb or ArcaVir.

12. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I don't think thats the case but I guess if your not willing to try then you'll never know for sure.

How about this...Avast home (free) as resident scanner and Bitdefender 7 (Free) or eScan (Free) as backup on demand scanner ? What paid for AV will beat that combo ?

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

As I examine various tests, and especially the ones by Firefighter, I am not sure why NOD32 is considered the best AV.

For example, in this test https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=69091&highlight=firefighter
    NOD appears to be pretty mediocre to me. I admit that I am not very knowledgeable here, but NOD was outclassed by several including Bit Defender free with Ewido.

Without flaming, can someone tell me why it does not show as well in some tests, yet is considered one of the two best? I realize that it did well in the VB tests, and that is not to be sneezed at. However in this test it was not considered equal to several others.
    http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    Another of Firefighter’s tests. Here NOD is only good as AT detection.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=70679&page=5

I sincerely am not trying to cause arguments, but I have to wonder how it gets to the best when it does not show up so well in some tests.

Someone please fill me in so when I need a new AV I will have an insight that I do not have now. FWIW I am using BD 8.0 and Ewido. I do not claim it is the best, and I am not so loyal that I will not change, but so far it seems that NOD 32 is not that good.

Jerry

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

BitDefender is a strong solution.

15. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

It seems to me that NOD32's claim to fame is mostly in its ability to detect new, unknown viruses (possessing among the strongest heuristics available). Also it's known for having a light footprint on your system and a fast scanning speed. It might not have the best detection rates available but it is a very well rounded package. Trojan detection is very much improving and it looks like spyware detection is on the horizon. All of this, plus the fact that it's highly configurable and compatible with other software, I think make it one of the best, not strictly detection rates.

BD is a very good antivirus as well and, unless your license is up, I don't know why you would think about switching. I don't think you'd gain very much. Just my opinion; hope it helpes.

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, and for realizing that I am not wanting to start a flame war, but just want to understand.

se7engreen, that rationale makes sense to me.

Jerry

17. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

se7 .
    You are pretty much on the money for the claim to fame . And Jerry . Keep in mind , NOD is NOT an AT . Many KAV people will tell you all you need is KAV . That is absolutely untrue . KAV is very good at trojan detection but , to be completely protected , you need an AT as well . I use NOD because , in my real world , it does very well . Answer to your question . Arcavir is fairly new here . Why not try it and see what you think ? If not , I guess my opinion would be either Dr. Web or F-Secure . F-Secure uses the KAV engine though . And two others . I like it actually . Just my thoughts . Good luck

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i am considering dr web and arcavir for my second backup scanner these seem to be very good alternatives. tried the f-secure thing today did not play nice with others. and i know you all told me but what a pain in the #@* to get rid of took forever to get it completely off of here. i used bitdefender and while i really liked the program had many issues with certain things that i just didnt like. not bashing anyone here at all. mostly updating issues. sometimes would say it updated and really didnt if you checked the # of sigs. and sometimes after updating just rebooted without asking me at all. and it seems to shut down while updating i could be wrong here though. just my 2 cents

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

everyone has their preferences. That is all we have seeing as there is no "best" antivirus just good, mediocre, and bad ones ;)

bigc

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  20. polaris

polaris Guest

why don't you have "boclean" in the 3rd pc. I think it's good to have 3 different AV and AT.

21. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Definitely Dr. Web!

22. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

My choice would be as follows:

First choice: Mcafee

Second choice: Panda

Third choice: Bitdefender standard

I can't comment on arcavir, as I've never used it. I would just trial all of them..and see which one you like best.

23. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Randy, Didn't you know that mentioning" NORTON" on here is a no no...LOL :D

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Like yelling fire on an airliner at takeoff....LOL :D

25. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.