3667 -- Uninstall before install

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shieber, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Apparently you still need to uninstall ATI before installing 3677, otherwise when you try to run it, you get that can't find valid serial number message. Another basic feature we wish they would fix so that we wouldn't have to work around it. Otoh, 3677 lets you edits image tasks again.

And when you install after unisntall, if you had to enter both ver 9 and ver 8 serial numbers, you still have to do that. (That might seem like a little thing if you have only one machine to update, but I have to update 4 machines to update, so the double rebooting gets to be a pain.) So I'm guessing they got just a couple of things changed in this buld and more builds will be coming over the next few weeks.

The forum makes the product something you can stick with but it's performance certainly isn't something that you can recommmend to others if your reputation is on the line. When asked about imagin software, I always qualify my response by first saying, all the available programs sort of suck in one way or another, here are the failures and pluses of each. . .

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

3. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Reading the post you referenced confirms that it does indeed work.

4. Howard Kaikow

no, it does not, the poster stated that the old task had to be deleted and a new one created.

5. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Well, when I read that he said it worked after deleting it I thought he meant he could edit it afterward. Maybe not.

6. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Yes, that's what he said and yes it does work in this latest build. Be sure to make a new rescue CD to be safe.

Uninstalling the old version is always a wise approach with most utilities. Ask yourself this question - is there anything here worth saving? Perhaps with a scheduled task there is information that you may want to record to simplifying re-entering it (days, times, file names etc). Deleting the scheduled task removes the script file associated with it. Recreating the scheduled task creates a new one. With this latest release of True Image 9, build 3677 and installing as I indicated above, editing of a scheduled task seems to work well.

Bruce

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  7. Howard Kaikow

The problem was NOT being able to edit the OLD task.

Deleting the old task, crearing a new taskk, and being able to edit the new task does not mean that you can edit extant tasks from a previous version.

8. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

That's true Howard, I have not tested that in that I deleted all previously scheduled tasks. With the new build installed all scheduled tasks can be edited.

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

With 3677 - I can edit my old tasks.

As far as the licence problem is concerned, I think there is a difference in downloading the upgrade version versus the full version.

For the past two versions I've just downloaded the full version licence that I have and have had no problems with the licence and installing over the top of the previous version. Maybe this licence problem only appears with the upgrade version - with the next release I'll download that licence and see what happens.

Colin

10. shieber

Can you explain which you are calling the "upgrade version" and which the "full version?"

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well I have two licences one that is an upgrade from v8.x and the other is a new v9.x licence.

Whilst the two files look the same, a couple of versions ago I downloaded the one marked upgrade (on the download page) and found it demanded the old licence and then the current licence. I cancelled the installation and downloaded the version marked on the site as full, this installed without demanding the licence information.

I suspect it is not the file that is different, but the licence sequence which tells TI whether it is upgrading (I would think from v:cool: or a new full version.

Well at least we now know what happens if you type v8 and ) too close together!

Colin

12. shieber

So you're using the same licensed copy and number on two machines?

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

No my laptop has one version and the PC the other.

Colin

14. shieber

I guess my point is, once they have verified once that you had the prior version, then that should be the end of it asking for the old serial number.

That's how most software that I've used works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.