360 Total Security - English

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ifacedown, Apr 23, 2014.

1. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

I am sure you do understand that the word "Internet Security" and "Total Security" are two different things?
    How?
    Take a look at other companies. Internet Security packages include AV, Firewall, and maybe Antispam features. Total/Ultimate/whatever packages include optimization tools, registry cleaning, disk cleaning, disk defrag, toolbar cleaning, take your pick.
    I for one use cleaning/optimization in TS way more than Antivirus scan, which I use it on the weekend only. it's a good thing you can choose what to use and what not, which makes everyone happy :)

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes, but it's quite possible that 360 will abandon their Internet Security product.

It's unfortunate that they have chosen to do that. But, in other antivirus products, any cleanup or optimisation functions are kept seperate from the antivirus part. With Total Security they have combined the antivirus and cleanup functions together, instead of keeping them seperate. Also, I will add that I never use internet security products - I always use the antivirus version, as I just want an antivirus. I have no use for 3rd party firewalls - I prefer Windows firewall, or extras such as website blocking, I just want an antivirus.

3. iforget

iforget Guest

The cleanup/speedup functions are something I will never use, I am ok with them being included. But, having them combined with the antivirus, and the first thing you see when the GUI is opened bothers me.

4. GakunGak

Qihoo 360 at this time is not abandoning IS. IF they chose to do so, we will have 6 months notice until it dies.
    BUT until it does, unnecessary hysteria does not help anyone.

Next, one click button is to save time/effort if user wants to do all-in-one checkup.
    If you want to use antivirus, it is just one click away, right under Virus Scan tab.
    You don't have to use one click button, it is not a time bomb and it will not explode, so you can go on without using it for, like, forever.
    We shall see what Qihoo have in store for us in the next version. As soon as I get any information, I will let you guys know.

5. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Is the total security out of beta ?

6. GakunGak

Way out.
    Unable to tell at this time if there's going to be public beta for the next version.

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I thought they pretty much already have abandon it. 360TS gets updated about weekly with a new build. Per the website, 360IS is on the same version from Jan 22nd. Seems other than updating the signatures, it's pretty much dead from development standpoint.

8. GakunGak

What it is that you'd like to see developed in Internet Security?
    I don't see it dead, it still receives database signatures, it works for most people and anything new would be seen as bloat.
    I have a friend who has old PC, it has Internet Security installed despite me being Total Sec fanboy, but it works and gets the job done.
    Anything more than that, it's the job for TS, IS is simple antivirus + sandbox, nothing more, nothing less....

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Just seems odd there has not been a bug fix, performance improvement, language add, etc. in over 6 months. Evidently it must be perfect as is? Meanwhile a new build of 360TS is updated on the site about every week or two. Pretty obvious where 98% of their time is.

10. roger_m

It's not about new features, its about improvements and bug fixes etc. Until TS was released, it received regular product updates.

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Right. The writting is on the wall. Some people are in denial.

12. GakunGak

TS is their flagship product, young and deserves focus while IS is stable and mature.
    It is logical to deserve more focus than IS.
    Now, IS as it is gets the job done. People do not want change or bloat in it. It's present architecture is ideal for both low and high performance machines.
    If there's anything that needs to be done to IS, as long as it is on the site, as long as it is active, it will be supported.
    Cannot guarantee in the case it gets 6 months window for users to switch to TS or alternatives when/if gets shut down.
    As there are no indications of that, people can safely use IS for as long as they wish.
    EDIT: I will take upon myself to ask about IS developement plans from Qihoo in the following days and let you know what I find. I trust that will be satisfactory to you?

13. roger_m

Yes, thanks for that.

14. GakunGak

Done, will report back anything official.

15. roger_m

16. GakunGak

No problem at all, very much glad to be of service.

17. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Actions speak louder than words. Updating the program would mean something. Telling people, "Yeah sure, we'll support it a bit longer" is just to get people off their back.

18. GakunGak

Where's the logic in keeping program alive if there's no intention to support it anymore?
    It only adds to cost to their server ops.
    Ideal scenario would be to have both progs up and running.
    Less than ideal would be to have TS modular and customizable [on/off].
    Less than desirable would be to have IS discontinued, but still alive.
    A very bad scenario would be to have IS die all of a sudden.

We shall see soon what new TS would be...

19. Forever

Forever Registered Member

I don't recommend TS. Used the update feature or sth like that and it disabled Chrome Updated and other important services. Had to reinstall Windows. Just use IS

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Exactly. They have a new program with the same features (plus more). Which is why there has not been an update to 360IS in 9 months. It probably uses the same update server as 360TS for it's Avira sigs, or they would have killed it off already.

21. GakunGak

Well Emily from Qihoo support replied to one user on another forum [copy paste in the IS thread] that it will be replaced by TS in the near future, so, I guess that's the 6 months countdown thing.... I expected official announcement on the website.
    In the meantime, it will be maintained and updated....

22. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

That's a shame.

23. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

360 Total Security 5.2 Beta
    1.Re-designed look and feel, user interaction
    1.1 Clear and visible protection status gives you peace of mind
    1.2 More consistent user experience, UI style
    1.3 Simpler function arrangement helps you focus on what you need
    1.4 Make Facebook Login optional by moving it to title bar
    1.5 Get updates by clicking version number
    2. Bug fixes

http://www.360totalsecurity.com/

Post moved here from the "360 Internet Security" thread. Cross links fixed below.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  24. roger_m

I just tried the new beta and don't like it. It's basically the same as the previous version but with an updated GUI. It's still and antivirus and tuneup program rather than being an antivirus with an added tuneup option.

25. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Not sure why they needed a beta for this. Seems like a minor skin. Biggest change is Facebook no longer front and center.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.