360 Internet Security: FREE Triple antivirus engine, BitDefender included

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 11, 2013.

1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well that's certainly enough not very encouraging to read regarding the added bells and whistles in TS not to mention what remains to be seen of it's peerformance. I still and have been ONLY ever since day one installed, still using 360 IS with continued incredible results and stability!!

Before Qihoo 360IS I wouldn't touch a resident AV with a ten foot pole. HIPS plus other alternatives like Virtualization was the rule of the day. With the introduction of 360 IS triple AV w/Pro Active Defense and in the insane LOW HIT on system energy level, it proved it's metal in many more way then one and still is on my machine.

FWIW, I have no interest whatsoever in TS and if or when 360 IS is deemed ended, so will my choice for an AV and will resort back to the old standards again in virtualization + On Demand etc.

Long Live Qihoo 360IS

2. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

My vote goes towards keeping 360IS alive. Maybe not updates as much (since TS would be the flagship product) but nonetheless alive.

I have had nothing but problems with TS since it was released. Every time I would install it the Bitdefender engine would sometimes install but more often then not the install would fail. as it would fail with multiple reboot's so I would uninstall/re install and the cycle would begin again.

thats just my 2$ worth though...

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Count me in too. ALL THE WAY IN! OR ALL THE WAY OUT!

4. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

I agree 360 IS needs to grow! Its a FANTASTIC product apart from the fact of that outdated BD engine which needs to be fixed.

5. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

360 IS is allready grown up, they just have to keep it alive !!
    Are you sure about outdated bitdefender engine? in TS it is more outdated then IS

6. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Yes, Long live 360 IS! I'm a happy user of it and want to go on.

7. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Regarding the Windows Patchup module of Qihoo -- I like this. At least I want to achieve this result in an automated and efficient way.

G-Data commercial products now advertise a similar capability:

https://www.gdatasoftware.com/patchmanagement.html

From the G-Data website:

A remarkable fact about this: a patch already exists for around 90% of exploit vulnerabilities. G DATA PatchManagement reliably identifies such security holes and easily and quickly closes them, using tested patches from the largest patch database in the world.

What is the best standalone product to achieve this result that Qihoo, G-Data and others are addressing?

Thanks,

-ftp

8. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

9. questions

questions Registered Member

So, any news about Qihoo guy which was supposed to post hereo_O?
    Is ANYONE from Qihoo posting in ANY language ANYWHERE on interneto_O

10. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I saw a thread last time I was in Qo'noS, but it was obviously in Klingon.

11. GakunGak

He's not responding to my mails anymore, and regarding latest Bitdefender problem in TS, I was contacted by Emily. They sure do have nice names.
    He got off in a good start and just gone. I did not plan contingency for that...
    They have their Google+ group tho, as their FB was spammed with selfies and other unrelated crap....
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109743774012923710723?cfem=1

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEcvdWly9M3YZmQyvXMeOwm05JDSj4Iy1U5d3AbhE3VToieQR9
    Rules of Acquisition #190: Hear all, trust nothing...

12. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Hi

I just tried Glarysoft utilities to see if i could speed up things a bit and when i looked over things "enabled" and "disabled" to see what i could change i saw that Bitdefender threat scanner was disabled even though i have never touched it within the 360IS program which means the default set has always been .

Either it is a false fact within Glary or within 360 who says it is on - anyone who knows anything about this ?

13. GakunGak

I shall set up VM with your scenario and check it out tonight....

14. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Okej - looking forward to the rapport .

15. GakunGak

Just so we're clear, I'm to go into Advanced Tools, System control, Startup items and services in glarysoft?

16. GakunGak

17. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

There was only one Place where the Bitdefender threat scanner was - i think it was in scheduled tasks . You are at the right Place in Glary - somewhere there it can be found .

EDIT : it is in application services - you probably have found it by now .

18. GakunGak

Found it, also says disabled.... I'll hunt for C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k bdx process switch, standby....
    I see in Process Hacker 2 that it is in Demand Start mode, which makes me think it starts in on demand scan mode..... I will check it out...
    It is exactly that...
    Note the service running on full system scan
    http://i58.tinypic.com/kok6b.jpg

Mystery solved, nice find!!! :)

19. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Okej - seems rational . But why is just Bd configured that way - at all - and not the others is of course a question that comes to mind ! ?

20. GakunGak

Becauseeeeee.... those cloud engines are constantly on because they use cloud technology to do their cloud scan thingy because they exist on the cloud, while bitdefender needs to power up the engine to do a on demand scan which is different from realtime scan because..... i don't know, offline virus signatures?

21. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

The defend in Bitdefender:
    •Step1: Each time a file is accessed, copied or downloaded via the Web, email or instant messenger, the file is intercepted by either the BitDefender File System driver or the appropriate proxy and sent for scanning.
    •Step2: The file is checked against the BitDefender Signature Database (a database of malware “fingerprints”) that is continually updated on an hourly basis. If the file contents match one of the signatures, the product automatically tries to disinfect the virus. If this action fails, the file is moved to the quarantine folder. If no signature is matched, the file is passed to B-HAVE to be checked.
    •Step3: B-Have checks the file by running it in a virtual environment inside the BitDefender Engine. If the file exhibits suspicious, malware-like activity, B-Have reports the file as malicious. If not, the file is declared clean and the relevant process is allowed to run.
    •Step4: Active Virus Control monitors the actions of the processes (specific processes) as they are running on the computer. It looks for signs specific to viruses and gives a certain score for each of these actions. When the overall score for a process reaches a given threshold, the process is reported as harmful and, depending on the user profile, it is either terminated or the user is prompted to specify the action that is to be taken (depending on the mode in which BitDefender is being run).
    Source: BD undated publication active_virus_control_wp.pdf

Obviously, that's pretty boiled down and presents actions based on default settings and provided product features (email, IM).

B-Have exists in bdcore.dll, currently v11.0.1.12.

Your BD licensed app needs to update for defs at least every hour or so and if the core file must be of the latest version to get the free BD protection you think you're getting. :cool:

AVC is not usually presented in free BD apps.

The cloud component, if present, is a combo of the BD Gonzales gzflt.sys file system driver and bdnimbus.dll. The server service is at nimbus.bitdfender.com.

None of this relates to additional HIPS-like network protection provided by the BD Firewall drivers and libraries.

Cheers.

22. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Good one - ha ha - why is the sun yellow ?...got it .

But it is a little puzzling - either it has something to do with the contract with Bd or - it is mechanic - it shure would be nice to know why though .

Over and out !

23. carbonize

carbonize Registered Member

It's not puzzling at all and has been clearly explained. the engine doesn't need to be running all the time as it's only required when a file is being scanned.

24. GakunGak

As sir @carbonize explained, it needs to kick in only on demand scan, running it all the time would waste valuable resources.... So, it is actually a good thing to have it on demand [not always running and not disabled], it is something that should not cause any concern.

In military lingo, it is actually enough to just say:
    Over: expecting a communication reply from traffic [other person speaking to]
    Out: announcing that comms traffic should cease after sending this voice command.

Example:
    Over: Gray Beard Actual, this is Hunter 2-1, requesting ETA on airstrike on smoke, over. [Expecting a reply on ETA from A-10 warthog gunship raining hell on marked position]
    Out: Gray Beard Actual, this is Hunter 2-1, moving to extraction, Popeye is bagged and tagged, out. [Informing commander in charge of mission that hit-and-run engagement is over and that team is moving to exit Area of Operations [either by helo or boat] which does not require confirmation from other side [commander in charge of mission].

:) http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/60/messages/536.html

25. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

The above was my question - and Mr Gakungak and Carbonize answered as in post 2223-2224 - which is pure bla bla bla .

Sometimes it pays of to read others posts so you actually communicate with that person otherwise you are just talking to yourself when you post your reply and comes thru looking like an ass .

It is probably better if i write donkey since i do not think you guys understand what an ass means without misunderstanding it .

Over and out - for good !

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.