360 Internet Security: FREE Triple antivirus engine, BitDefender included

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 11, 2013.

1. tk55

tk55 Registered Member

yes, but isn't that 2014 version? the 2015 version has only the paid version. so if i understand it correctly anyone using the free version is using the old 2014 version?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@carbonize Even if it is using the same engine, the system impact will still be different between the two products. As an example, I've always found Roboscan and 360 Internet Security/Total Security to be much lighter on low end computers than Bitdefender and Ad-Aware, even though they are all using Bitdefender's scan engine.

3. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  4. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I didn't like this had a bit of lag on pc, back to Antivir, wish there was a free light AV like AVG 7.5 old days

5. chillstream

chillstream Registered Member

You really ought to try AVG 2015, I was very pleasantly surprised at how light my production system was with AVG IS 2015 loaded on it.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's stay on the thread topic. "360 Internet Security: FREE Triple antivirus engine, BitDefender included"

7. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Is that the new one? ok i give it a whirl let u know. I've not been keen on what Avira has done with pop up tab, seem's bogged down. Just want one to sit in the corner be light, not effect webpages etc. Its not till you uninstall one and you realize how fast your pc is.

Edit that is pretty light cool

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I have 340 games in Steam with half of them being installed at the moment.

9. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

I see. I appreciate the feedback.
    I will see what I can do to whitelist Steam by Qihoo, sometime next week, most likely Tuesday.
    I would kindly ask to PM me on TUE/WED if I did it, just in case, thanks.

10. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

11. Rico

Rico Registered Member

how does Total security get/use Microsoft Updates, is it dependent on Windows Updates working. I cannot fix corruption in 8.1's "component store" so windows updates is broken. Is Total security & alternate way to get the updates?

12. roger_m

@tk55 I believe it does make use of Windows Update. I had disabled the Windows Update service on my girlfriends computer as it only has 2GB of RAM installed (I plan to add more RAM soon), and Windows Update sometimes consumes many hundreds of megs of RAM, making the computer run at snails pace due it causing nearly 100% RAM use and excessive use of the paging file. When Total Security checked for missing updates, it enabled the Wndows Update service again.

I actually had installed Total Security, and not Total Security Essential, due it being able to install Windows Updates. For now, I've disabled the patch feature of TS to avoid excessive RAM use.

13. tk55

tk55 Registered Member

Thanks Roger. That's why I deleted my post as I was having second thought after posting. I obviously not quick enough since you caught my deleted post. Anyway from my experience with Total Security, it still patches even with windows update switched off. That's why I thought it doesn't depend on Windows update at all, but I'm obviously wrong.

edit: Actually I just realised anyone who is "watching" this thread would have received an email containing my deleted post......

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  14. GakunGak

No, Total uses it's own tech to scan the system and see what updates are installed and which are not.
    Then based on that system, it will make recommendations on what to install. You can safely turn off Windows Update if you don't want it, or leave it running, it's up to you.

15. roger_m

@GakunGak The Windows Update service was which has been manually disabled via services.msc, was enabled again by 360 TS.

16. GakunGak

Is checkbox ticked or unticked under Patchup>Advanced Settings>Turn off Windows Update?

17. roger_m

@GakunGak I think it was checked. I'll check the settings again tonight, and post back here what I find.

18. GakunGak

Do bear in mind that under certain circumstances [updates that replace files in use and/or system files], it will utilize WU application to replace those files upon restart.
    Even when service up and running, 360 will use it's PatchUp as much as possible, except for scenario posted above.

If you intentionally want WU disabled, I will ask again for "whitelisting/ignore" service, although under Speedup>Manual you can turn off/disable stuff yourself.

When doing next Checkup/Speedup, just ignore what you want to leave by your settings....

19. roger_m

@GakunGak Windows Update service restarted before rebooting. But, like I said when I get a chance, I will look at the settings again, and make sure Windows Update it disabled under the settings of TS.

20. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Thanks!

With corruption in the 'component store' which dism scanhealth says is repairable & restorehealth fails. I have the following options

1. Refresh windows
    2. Call the awful M$ tech.
    3. I can generate the update list but can't install via WU, use TS & M$ download center
    4. Wait for Win 10 & clean install

Since 10 is almost ready for prime time, I don't want to essentially re-install twice, fairly soon (refresh & win 10), so #3 seems to be a winner.

21. GakunGak

So the bottom line is, you manually disabled WU and you want it to stay that way until you re-enable it again by yourself?

22. roger_m

23. GakunGak

Until "The Management" decides such approach is acceptable, use manual control I described few posts ago.
    I will see what I can do from my side....

24. barcelona72

barcelona72 Registered Member

Are things starting to go a bit sour here with this antivirus.

25. appster

appster Registered Member

Roger (or anyone else) where/how did you disable it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.