360 Internet Security: FREE Triple antivirus engine, BitDefender included

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Jun 11, 2013.

1. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Okej . I thought of a short type of answer saying ; a month or so then it will deteriorate , all the above are pretty obvious .

This TSE feels more like a Beta since it is very prone to false alarms , even more then TS oddly enough , and with no sheduling of scans , well . Furthermore it is not a full 64bit app . This is one i can not recommend to clients because of the false alarm rate so i will leave it and hopefully be back in the future and then they may even have fixed so the sandbox works with IE11 in W8 .

Please elaborate on the AI function you mentioned above , i am curious .

2. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

@ph1:
    1: Name one false alarmless antivirus. Thank you. However, compile me a list, I will test it, work with Q to resolve them as fast as possible.
    2: Scheduling scan, noted, will work on it.
    3: Please provide scenario under which you WILL NOT be protected by not having Q 64bit. Do keep in mind that 550 million is protected with 32bit chinese brother of Total Security, 360 Safe Guard.
    4: Sandbox, W8, IE. I will begin research into this and have it fixed as soon as humanly possible.

As for AI, well, short version, really short, it's QVM, and it detects malware through an artificial-intelligence algorithm capable of machine learning to recognize new forms of malware.
    QVM offers a robust model for recognizing malware characteristics using the massive amount of data that has been compiled on confirmed malware in Qihoo blacklist and verified safe programs files in whitelist. This model is used as a basis for a detection algorithm which is automatically enhanced and updated with new malware samples submitted by Qihoo users to their servers.

Program files that do not appear in Qihoo blacklist and whitelist are scanned using QVM, and any ''hits'' returned by this technology are presumed to be malicious and removed or quarantined. As malware is constantly being created or morphing, QVM has the advantage of being able to detect threats that have not been previously identified. According to PC Security Labs, an independent security product test organization, QVM has a detection rate of 74.9% for unknown new malware, which surpasses most heuristic detection technologies.

Long version.... brainexplodes.gif

Statistics for 2013:

In December 2013, Qihoo scanned and analyzed an average of over 40 million suspicious file samples and blocked over 300 million URL attacks per day. Blacklist contains over 1.65 billion malware samples, and our whitelist contains nearly 110 million safe program files.

3. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I also have had more FPs with 360 TS than other security software. We'll see, everything is improving. I am sure of this :) Now that hey have decent product in terms of performance/stability, it's time to tweak QV FPs :)

4. carbonize

carbonize Registered Member

You do know how rootkits work and why they are a nightmare to remove once installed? They are not normal files nor are they your normal type of infection.

5. carbonize

Given that all the positive detections I have had with IS came from the BD engine and all the false positive came from the cloud engine you should be fine for quite a while.

6. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Thank you for your answer .
    But , QVM exists in IS to , i guess the difference in TSE is then that as you metioned in the first meaning of your explanation that it is ; capable of machine learning to recognize new form of malware . QVM is developed a step in TSE compared to IS , right ?

7. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

I do have a question, I am running IS on a few of my computers and have installed on some friends also. Very happy with it. Will IS eventually update itself to Essentials or will I have to manually update somewhere down the road?? Thanks....

8. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

LOL!! True that! Why in the world would anyone ever want to run a scheduled scano_O? Once a system is clean, it's clean, running more scans isn't gonna make it more secure. Every file is scanned on the fly I never EVER run any manual or scheduled scans

9. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

If 360 is so good, and gets great results on AV TESt in both performance and protection, it surprises me why not everyone in the world switches to this. it's very light and has no ads or PUPs (probably theo nly free AV right now with no PUPs other than Bitdefender FREE)

10. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

That is understandable because, if you blindly copy other vendors' detections from VirusTotal, you'll end up copying their false positives as well :isay:, and if you copy from many sources, you'll end up with the most false positives in total. As long as one of the big ones detect it, it will end up a short time later in Qihoo's database as "Trojan.Generic".

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I basically only do a quick scan after I setup everything to populate the cache a bit faster. That's all really...

12. GakunGak

Client [GUI] uses instructions from QVM when advanced malware is detected. Sometimes it has to adapt to new things. All of the detections, analysis, etc, is done with the AI. then the swarm [users] simply collect necessary information and that's it.

Manual uninstall, download TSE and install......

I'll see what I can do with schedules....

360 is good. But not everyone likes 360. Nor some people like free stuff. Some like to pay. Some like western tech, and mistrust eastern due to alleged spying stuff. Clean slate with US Intelligence.

All in all, it would be bad if everyone switched to 360. There would be no competition, no innovation, no race to be better, the best, the only......

13. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Just ask yourself this: if ASK.com had their own anti-virus and you had it installed on your computer, why would they need to install a toolbar? They can just gather every piece of information there is about you from within the anti-virus application. It's basically ASK toolbar at the kernel level and none of us has any idea what info they are gathering and whom they are sharing it with.

Actually I'm much more flabbergasted by the fact that people avoid other free offerings because of the visible and optional potentially unwanted stuff and instead install this program, where the information gathering is hidden from you and not optional (unless you avoid the whole program).

14. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

But if 360 is gather any user data as you say and it is a valid suspicion really looking at how good it is, no ads, yet gets great detection results and is light; don't you think that the users here on Wilder would've caught any irregular activity? I mean this thread is hundreds of pages long someone must've found something if it is doing anything bad.

15. carbonize

Wrong. As I said earlier no anti malware engine is infallible and just because it didn't tell you that the file you just ran was infected does not mean that it wasn't. If this was the case we wouldn't ever need to update signatures.

16. GakunGak

Please provide credible evidence to your claim. Thanks in advance.

In the meantime, while you try to do, I will refer you to some quite interesting reading.

http://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/experience/

17. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Small suggestion please, when adding exclusions, it doesn't show the system hidden files. So for example, I want to whitelist this folder:

C:\Users\All Users\SVP 3.1

I have to first disable the system option of hiding system files in control panel because the ALL USERS folder is a system hidden folder, whitelist the folder/file, then recheck it back coz I don't want to see those desktop.ini files everywhere. This is such an inconvenience and all big name AVs like Kaspersky, NOD32, etc. show the system hidden files when adding exclusions

18. GakunGak

Very well, hidden files/folders it is! :)

19. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Thank you for your great support and understanding.

Not only hidden files/folders boss, also system hidden files/folders; those are different :)

2015-03-25_011640.png

20. aztony

aztony Registered Member

That allegation could be made regarding any AV regardless of where it was developed/made. Just ask the NSA.

21. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

360 TSE, under exclusions, sometimes entries are double i.e I whitelisted 3 detections then checked trust lists, under trust lists, 1 was correct but 2 other entries were listed twice.
    I removed the entries, scanned again & whitelisted again with the same results i.e double entries.
    Detections were whitelisted through manual scan i.e quick scan.

22. wildman

wildman Registered Member

I also have switched to this one and so far so good.

Always,
    Wildman

23. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

There is an option in the settings to remove unneeded engines.
    What does this mean?

It would be good if one can remove Avira/Bd from the GUI.
    I find 360 enough & would not like to see Avira/Bd in the GUI.
    Either an option to remove them or an option during install to exclude them or they should be placed under settings with install tab.
    When installed, only then they should show up in the main GUI otherwise not.

And I use custom protection. When you select the options in the custom protection & apply then the next screen shows number of protection enabled for particular protection. I like this screen & would want this screen as the main GUI. But the GUI main screen defaults to ondemand scans options that I dont like.

24. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Another suggestion please, as soon as I installed Firefox, when I ran it, it prompted me to install the 360 add-on. I didn't want it, so now it's sitting there in my extensions disabled but I cannot remove it completely. I hate any AV that wants to install any sort of extension, can you make that extension installation completely optional to the user?

25. carbonize

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...t-uninstall-an-add-on#w_uninstalling-manually

but we shouldn't have to go to these lengths to remove their add on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.