33 sites remain disabled ?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by ed17402, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ed17402

ed17402 Registered Member

Running 3.5.1. I update manually once a week. Even though I also run SpySweeper, I have no trouble enabling protection for all Restricted Sites after updating. But a week later, when I open the program, protection has been disabled for 33 sites: AdSag, Data-Line Dialers, EU-AdCenter.net, NGAdCenter and 29 CoolWebSearch sites.

Every week the same 33 sites, and only those sites, have had their protection disabled. Every week I can enable protection for the sites after updating. This has been going on for some time.

I haven't been checking the program on a daily basis, so I don't know how long after updating the protection is disabled. I'm not sure what difference it would make if the disabling occurs 24 hours after updating, 48 hours after updating, etc.

I also haven't been able to figure out what is different about those particular sites. Why should the same 29 CoolWebSearch sites have their protection disabled each week, but not any of the four million other CoolWebSearch sites?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you mind listing the other Security\Privacy software used given the fact in almost all cases what you are experiencing is related to another program disabling the protection.

3. ed17402

AVG Antivirus
    EZ Antivirus
    Ad-Aware
    Microsoft Antispyware
    Spybot S&D
    ZoneAlarm
    IE-SpyAd
    PestPatrol PortChecker

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I can say with pretty good certainty that Ad-Aware and Microsoft Antispyware are not the culprits. Also....with the small amount of sites(33) you are seeing un-protected....Spybot S&D nor IE-SpyAd can be the cause. I would suggest you take a closer look at your remaining programs and hopefully find which one is causing the inability to keep Spywareblasters database checked. I'll keep searching thru past threads for any instances where your remaining programs may have been found to cause this.

BTW....which product type and version of AVG Antivirus are you running and if it has the resident shield have you attempted to temporarily disable that feature to see if it is the cause ?

5. ed17402

AVG Antivirus Free Edition 7.1.371.

I haven't tried disabling Resident Shield. I have the program loaded at all times, but I haven't run a scan in some time. I'd have to disable Resident Shield for a week to test it, which doesn't really appeal to me. It doesn't seem likely that Resident Shield would target 33 particular sites on the Restricted Sites list, does it?

I just checked SpywareBlaster. Protection is still enabled for the 33 sites. I'm going to try to remember to check SpywareBlaster frequently, to pinpoint when the protection is disabled and relate that to which programs have recently run.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That's a start :thumb:

Also remember that some free online Adware\Spyware type scans and certain toolbars have been known to falsely flag items such as this.

7. winxp

winxp Registered Member

:thumb: It's is IE-SpyAd which cause the problem.
    Next time when IE-SpyAd update comes [ soon :) :cool: ] uninstall old and install new and then open SpywareBlaster & check Restricted Sites. ;)

8. ed17402

It has been quite some time since I did any online scanning.

Except for AI RoboForm -- to fill in online forms -- I regularly load only the toolbars that come with Internet Explorer. I haven't loaded any other toolbar in a long time.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you mind expounding on that a bit....which toolbars are you speaking of....the Yahoo toolbar type ?

Edit:
    I took WinXP's comment above and re-checked IE-Spyad. Indeed if you remove IE-Spyad's protection then re-enable IE-Spyads protection....there are indeed 33 items found disabled in Spywareblaster. I will definetly look into this deeper given there has always been many more entries than that affected.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  10. ed17402

I'll try to remember to check SpywareBlaster both before and after uninstalling the old IE-SpyAd and then again after installing the new IE-SpyAd. IE-SpyAd would seem to be the likeliest culprit.

11. ed17402

The only two non-Internet Explorer toolbars that I currently have installed are Google and Netcraft. I rarely load the Google toolbar, and I'm not certain if I've ever loaded the Netcraft toolbar. I don't even remember what the Netcraft toolbar does.

12. winxp

winxp Registered Member

Over years ago end of year 2004 there was 29 items have protection diasabled in SpywareBlaster after IE-SpyAd update

http://koti.mbnet.fi/pattaya1/SpywareBlaster313.jpg

It moved 29 => 33 spring / summer 2005.

You should check this when IE-SpyAd update comes.

13. ed17402

I eagerly anticipate the availability of the next IE-SpyAd update.

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Good catch WinXP :thumb: and there was no need for me to wait for the update :blink:

I have re-looked at the ie-ads-uninst.reg file. In that file is a section dealing with CWS Removals and listed in that section is indeed 33 items for removal that are also contained in Spywareblasters database :thumb:

I have started using Eric's recommendation of his Zonedout download and had not looked at his un-install file in a while.

15. winxp

winxp Registered Member

After that there has been still disabled for 33 sites.
    I think that this problem is somewhere SpywareBlasters Restricted Sites database.. regkey etc..

16. winxp

winxp Registered Member

So the "problem" is IE-SpyAd and not SpywareBlaster ?

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I do not view it as a problem with either program and caution users of programs such as this to be aware of the overlapping protection. In fact....there is an online ReadMe.txt file and one that comes with IE-Spyad where-by this very fact is mentioned and can be found in the below area of that text file.

After I update IE-SPYAD, some "protections" or "items" are
    disabled in SpywareBlaster's "Restricted sites" section
    or Spybot Search & Destroy's "Immunize" section. Why?

18. ed17402

All computer "problems" should be so easily solved. Enabling protection for those 33 sites in SpywareBlaster just became the third step in updating IE-SpyAd.

Thanks, Bubba and winxp.

19. annon

annon Guest

I found this dialogue while looking for a solution for a similar problem.

On my WinXP machine I often find that XXXtoolbar protection is diabled. I will normally only check after an update, so I can't say when protection is disabled.

While reading these posts it dawned on me that I often get a message from PestPatrol that my machine is infected by XXXtoolbar. I let PestPatrol delete the infection. It seems to me now that the two are related.

I can speculate on the relationship, but will watch the two for a while and see if one is triggering the other.

All for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.