32bit or 64bit

Discussion in 'polls' started by Ibrad, Sep 9, 2010.

?

32bit or 64bit

1. 32bit

63 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. 64bit

150 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. guest

guest Guest

Which makes discussion on this subject, from this point on, subjective.

:D I like pie. You like cake?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011
  2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Not really. I mean, in that sense everything is objective. I can make objective statements about the differences between pie and cake too, but in the end it comes down to how I subjectively weigh those things (health benefits vs how much it fills me up, two objective differences that I can subjectively interpret.)

The objective truth is that a 64bit application that's optimized for 64bit processing will run faster than a 32bit application. The objective truth is that a 64bit wide register means that you can sometimes have "wasted" allocation and a larger memory footprint.

Two facts that you can subjectively weight. It doesn't make the argument subjective, just your conclusion.

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Likewise. I have better things to do than argue with a sock puppet, like taking a nap and enjoying a vacation.

4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

32-bit presently but I am open-minded to using a 64-bit system in the future.

5. Athletic

Athletic Registered Member

32 bit surely . Compatibillity, and no buggs priority compare with small, ekstra small speed advantage.

6. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

64 bit here

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

64-bit is winning (probably because of Windows 7). Who has the uncommon XP 64-bit?

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I like to play around with virtualization and stuff which usually eats up quite a bit of memory so 64bit is the way to go for me. I currently have 2 systems which run Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and Ubuntu 11.04 64bit.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Oops, I forgot about other OS. Currently using 32-bit Ubuntu, because of only 1.5 GB RAM and greater compatibility.

10. Hungry Man

Yeah, 64bit Ubuntu is a pain.

11. NRProia

NRProia Registered Member

Hello,

I run Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I had to give up a few 32-bit programs, but in most cases I found 64-bit alternatives. These links helped me make the switch:

Software - Free - TechSupportAlert.com - 32 Bit And 64 Bit Explained
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/32-bit-and-64-bit-explained.htm

Software - Free - TechSupportAlert.com - How Windows 7 - Vista 64 Support 32 Bit Applications
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-windows7-vista64-support-32bit-applications.htm

Software - Freeware - TechSupportAlert.com - Best Free Windows 7 - Vista 64 Bit Software
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-windows7-vista-64-bit-software.htm

Regards,

Nathan

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I switched to x64. It might be "better", but it ain't "better" IMHO. I would forgo all the extra this and extra that to get some of my favorite tools back, and to have it be as streamlined as x86 is (meaning it is easy because I've been using it for years, and x64 is so, so, well, so hit and miss on many things).

I suppose in 5 years it will be no big deal, but I am suprised that even today after a good number of years of x64 being around that it is such a pain to truly switch 100% to x64.

Darn that 16gb of ram. If I weren't so tempted to utiilize that for virtual machines, I would not have switched over.

In short, I really dislike x64 in many ways, personally, but am now stuck with it. So be it.

Sul.

13. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

on desktop i prefer 64bit where as on laptop i prefer 32bit OS

14. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

If it's a 64-bit computer, I will run a 64-bit OS, it that simple. Just bought another desktop, it's running a 64-bit OS.

15. Hungry Man

The speed difference for me in specific 64bit application is great. Even if windows 32bit had PAE I would use 64bit.

Plus I like patchguard.

16. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

Windows 7 x64 here too.

I haven't noticed any problems with the current installation. The driver problems with x64 platform seem to be long gone. All normal 32-bit applications work as intended. I don't use many security programs, so waiting for them is not an issue either (thank god for Sandboxie supporting 64 though).

But, I personally don't see a reason to stay with a 32-bit Windows. What's not to like with the improved core security, optimizations and support for more RAM you ever even need?

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Whats not to like is that 75% of the tools I use are not native x64. What is the point in using x64 if most of my tools are running at x32? I might as well run x32 in that case.

For myself, x64 offers only expanded RAM, and a couple programs that are hefty might perform better, although I haven't tested them yet. Security wise, meh, I did not have an issue with x32, so what will x64 do for me in that area.

Like I said though, it is now what you must use if you want that RAM. Actually, if it were not for vmWare, I would not even need more than 4gb. I have never, ever, even once, seen my ram useage go past 70% of 4gb on x32.

Seems I will have to change my mindset on this. Maybe once I get my images finalized and get over the pain of finding alternate tools I won't be so sour on it. The past week has me wishing x32 supported up to 8gb of ram ;)

Sul.

18. Hungry Man

Which tools?

And the security of 64bit is pretty strong when you consider how few rootkits are made for it (none?)

And even if you don't see your RAM usasge go up you can use Resource Monitor to see that it is in fact all being used. My 8GB is being used right now running only a few programs... 1.6GB private, and 6.4GB cached.

19. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

32bit now..

20. marc57

marc57 Registered Member

I like Windows 7 x64 and i like having 8GB of RAM to play with. :D

21. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

For gaming

22. njespo

njespo Registered Member

64 bit....but, let me ask a dumb question...other than the memory utilization, what is the advantage? speed?

23. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

64 bit from its early days, dual boot with Windows XPx64 and Ubuntu x64.

24. Hungry Man

Security, performance.

25. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

The CPU can process more data and thats the biggest advantage when using resource intensive programs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.