32bit in 64bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ako, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

I'm buying a new PC. Asus laptops have all the 64-bit version of windows. I'd like to continue testing 32-bit apps like Defencewall. Is it possible to run it in a virtual machine or in the Xp mode included in the 7 pro?

2. guest

guest Guest

You can run a virtual machine with VMware or VirtualBox in x64 32-bit with win or linux...

You can run 32 bit applications in win7 x64 (you dont need use the xp mode) but a sofware that is designed only for 32.bit like defensewall will not work in win7 x64.

Windows 7 has a "emulator" for 32.bit apps, that means that almost any 32bit app will work without losing any performance in x64.
    The problem is with some specific software like the HIPS, they need separated versions for 32 and 64 bits. You could not use Defensewall in win7 x64, not even in xp mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  3. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

But HIPS software should work in win7 32 bit installed inside a virtual machine in win 7 64 right?

4. ako

ako Registered Member

Right?

5. guest

guest Guest

EDIT: Yes whereas the virtual machine is 32 bit must work.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  6. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Yeah, the win32 virtual machine will be protected by the security software installed in it

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Just to clarify any software that has drivers involved must match your host system. If you want to run security software most of it will have drivers. 32 bit versions will run 32 bit only, and 64 bit drivers are required for a 64 bit system. For example if you want to run Defencewall and it is 32 bit only you are out of luck. You can run it in a 32 bit virtual machine but it will only run in that machine, it will not do anything for the 64 bit host system. Your options are give up the 32 bit software or downgrade your laptop to a 32 bit OS. I would recommend giving up the 32 bit software. I have been running 64 bit Windows for the last 2 years and I don't feel that I am missing anything by not being able to run any 32 bit specific software.

8. aieie

aieie Registered Member

I couldn't agree more :)

It's a direction most people will go anyway............lot of systems are sold with 64 bit OSes even with 4 GB of ram (i suppose people started to notice that 4GB laptops are usually sold in 32 bit systems with only 3GB available in order to "avoid drivers problems", which is a weird way to say they don't wanna spend time building their machines the proper way, LOL) and if you need more, think only about working with photoshop and raw images, 64 bit is the only way.
    This just to make an example.

I can bet that if 64 bit become a large portion of the market even software developers that nowadays declare "we'll never offer protection on those ones" will find a way to develop a good protection (a perfect one doesn't exist anyway) and offer those to you. If they want to stay on the market ;)

Best Regards

9. ako

ako Registered Member

Good points. :thumb:

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

ako, 64bit my friend...at least then you can use both.

VM set to full screen on boot, you won't know the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.