31 days to restore Image?????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wjgray, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wjgray

wjgray Registered Member

Hi! I am taking another tact to my dilemma with getting a replacement drive copied from the current drive that is about to die. To recap, I found that I could not bare metal recover from NAS (only NDAS) at all.

So, I have now configured the replacement drive as an internal secondary drive. It's configured and the OS (Vista) can see it. It is as of yet uninitialized. I initially tried the clone function. It took about 2 hours for it to return a write failure after having done 0% of the work. So, I gave up on that approach.

Now, I am trying to restore from the NAS image (base + 7 incrementals now) directly to the new drive within the UI. There is 3 parts to my current image (c:, d:, and MBR). Acronis told me it was going to create g: and h: and the format looked good. I'm kinda skeptical about what creating g: and h: will do when I remove the dying disc and put the new one in it's place, but at this point I'd like to see Acronis restore ANYTHING at all. So I let it go. After about 2 hours of "sitting there", Acronis has accumulated about 2 minutes of CPU. It has still done 0% of the work. BUT, it finally told me that it will take 31 days to complete the job.

YA GOTTA BE KIDDING! Anybody have a clue what I am doing wrongo_O?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If I were in your situation, I'd boot from the TI Recovery CD and confirm that I could access the NAS image by verifying it.

Then I'd shut down and remove the dying drive and move the new drive into that position with the same jumper settings as the drive you are removing.

I'd then boot from the Recovery CD and restore the full image (C, D and MBR) to the replacement drive.

Power down, remove the Recovery CD and you should boot from the replacement drive.

If you see another 31 days to complete the restore, then the most likely explanation is that there is terrible support for the NIC in your computer in the Recovery CD's Linux environment. The easiest solution might be to install a NIC from one of the major manufacturers which is supported by Linux. An alternative would be to create a BartPE boot disk, or you could copy the backup image and all the incrementals to a USB drive and connect that to your computer. Of course, you could wait until August to see if the restore really completed successfully, but I wouldn't. :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.