3 Year Laptop Reliability Study

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Thankful, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

That's true. All the more reason to do your homework before spending your money.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have an old Compaq Presario B 3800 (almost 5 years old) which had a lot of problems but instantly fixed by HP service under warranty (HP service here in Seoul is amazing, they even repaired free something that "was not supposed to happen" out of the warranty period).

Almost 2 years ago I bought an Asus laptop W2P, a beautiful machine and it is in a different league from HP in terms of materials. Same quality with the Asus netbook 1002HA that I bought recently. So far I had no problems with the W2P in terms of malfunctioning, but one of the hinges of the display panel cracked after 6 months. It was replaced under warranty, and I was told by the Asus technician that it will eventually crack again in 16 months (their statistical guess, costing about 65 US $ to replace) as it seems to have a design flaw due to the large display (17").

I suppose no brand and model is perfect, and in the end what really matters for me is the kind of after service I get: so far HP and Asus have been really excellent.

3. herman52

herman52 Registered Member

Is anyone has the same information about Fujitsu?

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've had good experiences with them quality wise. A lot of our healthcare clients use them..they must cater their prices towards healthcare.

Years ago many of our educational clients had Toshiba laptops. We had good experiences quality wise with them, however.....when it came time for support..OMG was that painful. And took a long time when shipping out for repair, until it was shipped back.

Not a fan of Sony based on experience....both quality and support.

Dell...I like their Precision and Latitude series, I'm not as fond of their home grade Inspirons. Support for their business level products is great in my experience, and I have quite a few clients using them.

On the budget brand, I find Acer laptops are good. Over the years I've sold a few to clients on a budget, and have had a good experience with the Acers. Year ago Acer bought up an old laptop makers laptop division...Texas Instruments.

On a sheer number wise...used to do tons of Compaq laptops. Not their Presario home series, but their Armada business laptops. They were quite good. Since the big merger with HP, I've done less and less of their laptops, seeming to prefer Dells Lats and Lenovo Thinkpads more.

IBM/Lenovo is my favorite brand. Specifically their Thinkpad lineup. They're built like tanks. Support has been good also.

For myself, I use Thinkpads. Because the models I like are pricey, I get them at authorized factory outlets. The current model that I'm typing from right now, a T60P, was a 2100 dollar laptop brand new, I got it from an authorized factory outlet, it was a return for a corporate lease. I paid 680 for it. It was still in the shrink wrap. At factory outlets, you often get brand new laptops for a fraction of the price. Cancelled orders, or they were shipped to the corporate fleet as part of a lease..many many not have even been opened/used yet. Or if they were used, for short term. Warranty still valid.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

We use Lenovo in work, top, top machines. The desktops can be used horizontal or vertical, inside is a toolless design as everything just swings open. The laptops and desktops are tough on design and security - chassis intrusion detection its called :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  6. herman52

herman52 Registered Member

Thanks’ for the answer.
    I have almost the same experience. As a CIO, I stopped purchasing laptops from HP in 2002 just with the same reason. We had ratio 1 to 10 (in work \ in service) in that time. IBM/Lenovo is the tank definitely, but we have a lot of powerful female users which wanna something sexier than tank . We found Fujitsu as the most reliable in ratio (price\quality\features) in that time, but nowadays we faced significant quality downgrading. So, my interest was to compare exist position for Fujitsu laptops against the rest, probably it is the right time to change our standards again.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    LOL...oh boy..I give you my sympathies! :D
    They'll be demanding those cute little Dell Studio laptops with flashy pink designer patterns on them. :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.