3 Newbie Questions: Still in trial mode. Ready to buy if I can find answers...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by atwnsw, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atwnsw

atwnsw Registered Member

1) I installed the trial version and started the backup process. When select where to backup, it lists the NTSF C: Drive (which is fine) but also FAT16 31.35MB. Do I select this for backup also? I have never seen this before?

2) I want to create a separate partition on my western digital external usb 250 mb hard drive. I surfed on the net and found instructions which were close but insufficient. The instructions said to open my computer, right click on manage, open disk management. Here is the problem: it shows 232 gb Fat32. But no ability to parition. I am using Dell 2350 Windows XP. What am I missing? Is there an easy way to partition using XP? If not, what software do I need to buy?

3) Finally, if I find the answers to 1 & 2, then I will download the software from newegg. Is this the latest version? How difficult is it to register for the full version? I read some posts which described difficulty in registering the full version and inputing the registration key.

Thanks in advance

Anthony

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1 - the fat16 partition could be a recovery program maybe. i never used a Dell so idk. just backup ur main partition (C: )

2 - if u cannot format a partition it probably ur main OS partiton or it contains ur page file (correct me if im wrong).

also to partition or split a hard drive without losing data, u will have to use a partitioning utility like acronis disk director suite.

3 - ive never bought software online, but for example, once u order acronis disk director, u can just download the lastest version from the acronis site and use the key u received from the retailer.

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

The Fat 16 partition is most likely the recovery partition that most manufacturers are now using instead of providing recovery/restore CDs. Did you get any kind of Restore CDs with you system?

With a True Image backup, the manufacturer's restore partition is redundant unless you would ever want to restore the system to how it came from the manufacturer.

Since that partition is only a very small piece, I would backup the entire disk. This includes the manufacturers part.

So in the backup process, make sure the check mark is against the Disk name - it should default to this. And choose your external drive as the destination for the backup file.

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Hello Anthony,

Reviewing item #1, I believe you are referring to the source drive that you want to back up. This would be the C: drive. I believe from the size of the FAT 16 partition that this is a Dell hidden diagnostic partition containing their proprietary software. You should back this up also. Checking the box to the left of "Disk 1" should also check this hidden partition.

Instead of partitioning the WD USB drive give consideration to leaving it as is but create a folder for storing the images. To partition this drive in Windows I believe that you will have to delete the existing partition and then re-create the new ones as you wish. This most likely will also create NTFS partitions instead of FAT32, making it unusable on Win9X systems.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Anthony,

Bruce is right on target.

1. Backup both the C and FAT16 partitions as he instructed. This will insure that if you ever have to replace your hard drive you won't lose the Dell diagnostics and the new drive will be bootable.

2. Partitioning the external drive will just create problems when you have saved a lot of images or data since one partition is likely to become full while there is still lots of empty space in the other partition. Making folders instead avoids this problem.

Note that the external drive is formatted FAT32. An alternative is to reformat the drive as NTFS (or just convert it). Only do this if all the computers and programs that need to access the drive can read NTFS. Windows 98 and ME cannot see an NTFS drive, and many programs that boot from a DOS disk will not work with an NTFS drive.

6. atwnsw

atwnsw Registered Member

Thanks for all your input.

I will not pursue partition but folders. Great idea and no cost.

I will be buying the acronis software tonight.

Thanks again.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

OK, but if you have any problems, we are all here and will try to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.