3.2 update

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Kiki, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiki

Kiki Guest

OK, I know 3.2 is bran' new and no updates should be available, but...

I was debating whether to sign up for autoupdate, and clicked the manual update link to check it out. Got this message:

Error connecting to update server
    There was an error getting the update information. The server may be temporarily unavailable or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your pc. The update info file may also have gotten corrupted during download.
    Please try again soon.

I disabled XP's firewall and turned off Norton's Autoprotect, rebooted, tried again. Same message. Uninstalled SpywareBlaster, then downloaded it again (from a different server) and reinstalled. Same message. Tried all of these several times over a couple of days. Same message. As far as I know, I don't have any other firewalls. I do have Spybot S&D, which recommended SpywareBlaster, so I wouldn't expect it to interfere.

Any ideas?

If I cannot get update info, then it doesn't seem like a good idea to pay for autoupdate. But maybe there just isn't an "update server" option yet, since it's so new...?

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi Kiki and welcome to Wilders :)

Sorry I can't help with the technical end of your problem -- first place I'd check is your firewall settings, assuming you're using one. I'm sure other suggestions will be along shortly.

As for the updates themselves, don't forget that Javacool issues updated definitions for SpywareBlaster a lot more often than the program itself gets upgraded. Definitions updates are typically once a week, more or less, more often if there's a flood of new "baddies" appearing in the wild -- we can remember sometimes getting two or even more updates the same day. Treat it like you would an anti-virus, and check for updates frequently.

Best,
    Mike

3. ?Kiki

?Kiki Guest

Thanks, Mike, for the welcome and the reply:

"Sorry I can't help with the technical end of your problem -- first place I'd check is your firewall settings, assuming you're using one. I'm sure other suggestions will be along shortly."

I'd disabled both the XP firewall and Norton's Auto-Protect (and rebooted, etc., etc.), and that didn't work. BUT--I just tried it again (with all settings the same as the last 10 times it didn't work), and it worked!

"As for the updates themselves, don't forget that Javacool issues updated definitions for SpywareBlaster a lot more often than the program itself gets upgraded. Definitions updates are typically once a week, more or less, more often if there's a flood of new "baddies" appearing in the wild -- we can remember sometimes getting two or even more updates the same day. Treat it like you would an anti-virus, and check for updates frequently."

Good to know--I'll plan on updating on the same schedule as the virus program (weekly, unless security alerts suggest more often).

Thanks again.

Kiki

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.