Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Checkout, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Wasn't there a 3.2.1 version? I redownloaded TDS-3 about a week ago because I wasn't getting updates (corrupt download, or so it claimed). Still not getting updates. Still shows 3.2.0

Also, can't get speech working. Installed msreader and readertts, also spchapi, which all work, but not a squeak from TDS.

Guidance, s'il vous plait.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Checkout, The new version shows as DiamondCS TDS3 in Add/Remove programmes, not 3.2.0 as the previous version.
    Did you Uninstall the previous version including unloading executive protection?

Also note that the default directory forhas changed from C:\TDS3 tp C:\programme files\TDS3.

So if your did not notice this your keyfile & other logts etc will still be in the old directory.

For speech I had to move the Configuration - options - Speech synthisis, slider to a different position for the it to work again.

Hope this helps Pilli

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Checkieeee long time no see!
    Did speech work in the former version for you and still on XP?
    If it did, then it means you should have all the runtimes for the speech engines included already and with running that spchapi.exe (the runtimes for SAPI4)
    that part should be running fine.
    BUT: if you are on XP, there is voice recognition with SAPI5 default installed on that and that has to be disabled a few moments for SAPI4 to be able to run! Mind SAPI5 is not an upgrade for SAPI4 but a different technology and both can be on one system, just not run together at the same time.
    closing SAPI5 could be done by closing word or other applications using it or just via the task manager.
    Hope you get it all ok again!

4. Checkout

No SAPI-anything running on my machine. I uninstalled and reinstalled TDS3, all to no avail. Maybe it just doesn't think I'm worth talking to. :'( Never got it working yet, but MSREADER works like a charm. Is there a spell that only DCS can cast?

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=121;start=15
    this thread worked on XP for other users.
    I refer to www.microsoft.com/msagent and from there to the downloads, troubleshooting, samples...
    IOn the samples pages if you load them there, the included scripts should tell you what is wrong.
    If you have XP or ME all msagent parts are included already, only need the runtimes for SAPI4 (spchapi.exe in tds for example).
    On the XP cd-rom are several agents included.
    For XP it is really important to close the SAPI5 for instance in the taskmanager during SAPI4 use.
    You have either of them and i expect SAPI5 as your MSReader works!
    When you use DeskBot or TextAloud or any msagent script if that part is activated you can have them read aloud any TXT or clipboard text, voice recognition, the whole lot.
    Didn't you never use the CokeMachine Script with those functions? Wow!

We could ask DCS for an own dictionary (there is a script example for that i was working with) so why not a spell checker and a spell breaker?

6. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Followed the guidance from Jooske, but on my XP-system, just like yours, no squeak from TDS.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If you try on the web, do the sample pages work there? The sample pages are real fine test pages, telling what is wrong or helping you downloading what is missing.
    You'll have to allow ActiveX and java and animations and popups on those pages (it's only temporary, you'll survive) for testing.
    If they work there, they should do in TDS.
    Just type in the console something like
    speak "Hello to myself!"
    and it should be heard.
    It could be you have not any speech engine on your system at all (i doubt) for which getting the whole 8mb SAPI4 engine would be necessary.
    I think more of an application using the SAPI5 is blocking the whole thing.
    If you ever want to command your msagents to tell you the time which you can see in the systray yourself as well you need that larger thing anyway.

>>Installed msreader and readertts <
    If those are XP applications i guess they use SAPI5 and if active block the SAPI4.
    Wished MS made the msagents working on SAPI5 too to end all this confusion :(

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Once you have SAPI4 Working correctly you may need to adjust and test the TDS3 settings shown below. Move the slider one notch at a time and press test, mine is working on notch's 1 & 2, this has changed for me from 3.2.0 setting which was 17 &18 if I recollect correctly.

Attached Files:

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Txs Pilli, have done what you suggested and: TDS is now speaking to me! :D

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Ahhhh great! I have it at voice 10, which is almost the nice deep voice of Merlin. Ever had it on another one, i didn't even recognize TDS as mine!
    Thanks a lot Alan with that voice test, i completely forgot about that.
    Hope it solves the speech issue for many others too!

11. Checkout

Still no good. o_O

12. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Checkout, Can you please tell us what operating system you are using, also what does Add/remove programmes show fo DiamondCS software? It should not show as 3.2.0

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

HMMMM tried the msagent pages with the troubleshooting pages too overthere?
    http://www.microsoft.com/msagent/support/user/tts.asp#windowsxp
    http://www.microsoft.com/msagent/support/user/sr.asp
    the big sapi4 of 8mb is used for speech recognition and should show up in your speech control panel.

Do the agents speak online? Try that demo page "tryagent"
    You did have the msreader and all that talking SAPI5, which should really be closed for the SAPI4 to run.
    What did you install till now except for TDS and the spchapi.exe (runtimes sapi4) did you also run that exe?
    And the bigger 8mb sapi4?
    Just hoping it is not some driver conflict with the soundcard.
    Seeing the description there will be no midi output able while playing msagents applications is not 100% true as my CokeMachine script shows ibn some instances :)

14. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Here's a question.

How do you switch characters?
    I have five of them that I downloaded.
    Merlin,Genie,Roving Cowboy,Babe,AL.
    I was wondering if I can switch characters in the few scripts that I do know how to run.
    Say for example the two that I have working listed below.
    I did have success with TDS-3 welcome greeting and Jooske's "Inner Peace" script worked with Genie.Both animation and voice(finally).

I downloaded and installed a speech engine and the spchapi4.

I still can't get the agent test at M$ to work though.

15. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Tester, Jooske will no doubt reply to the first part :D

Maybe your IE security settings are too high?

16. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The tryagent page or other samples?
    How far did you get?
    Allow ActiveX and animations and java and popups.
    I play it in internetzone, not the restricted and sometimes i even added them to the trustedzone, temporary.
    Now this will surprise you: if you use Outlook Express, in Options > security allow to read emails in the internet zone.
    IE and OE are so much integrated that the one effects the other! Maybe you don't need, but ok, for many that was the last strawhalm.
    Your firewall might block some that's why trusted zone might be necessary.
    You can even get that whole webpage and copy it in a new email and play it from there, either the site as you see it or look into the source and copy that in the source of an email in html format, save and select it in the preview to play it.
    Or copy the source in notepad, save as an html file and play from yuour desktop if the firewall is protesting, or proxies, whatever.

Changing for another character:
    For instance the script asks to load "Genie", "Genie.acs"
    Change those for another name, exactly as in your Chars folder.

17. the Tester

OK I understand the part about switching characters.
    Thanks.

hmm.
    Regarding the test agent page...
    I use Mozilla with java etc enabled.
    I'll have to try with IE6,that may be what's wrong there?
    Being a M$ page,maybe it's not setup for alternative browsers? ;)

I got the page where I type in a message and a character is supposed to popup and say what I typed.Maybe my popup control in Moz had something to do with it also.
    I don't use trusted zones or anything like that.
    I'll try again.

18. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Tester, I do not believe that Mozilla has Active X which is needed. Only IE I'm afraid :(

19. the Tester

I think you are right about that Pilli.
    I got to the page for testing characters with IE6 and Peedy the Parrot appeared.He was fully functional too.
    I don't have him installed,is that normal for him to appear?
    I can see from the website for msagent that there is a lot of info that may help me along the way!
    Jooske linked an excellent resource there! :)
    After finally getting her "Inner Peace" script to work I enjoyed it!
    To Jooske...Great script!!! ;)

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestion of another browser Alan, as there was a special plugin needed to have them playing in Netscape, i dind't realise there could be problems with mozilla and maybe other browsers.
    If functions are not in a browser, it can not block them either, but maybe not play them too!
    On those websites and testpages if you don't have the agent itself installed it has a smaller version as for instance Peedy.acf which is downloaded to your system and with the functions you need for that script. So i grab those from my temp folders and save them in the Chars folder for when needed.
    Nice that you like them as much as i do :)
    If you look for instance at the www.agentry.net and www.e-clips.com.au (they are on the agentry front page at the moment) , at the msagent webrings, MASH scripting helper, the dogagent.com singing dogs agents pages, newsgroups, there is so unbelievable much, some make a good living of them, creating characters and scripting them in applications, used in so many aeas.

For the speech part for instance phone companies use voice recognition where you ask some info and a computer voice answers you, they use agents as newsreaders, in guided tours on web pages, there is a whole philosophy behind the use of some face on screen to talk with then just to a screen without personification.
    And it's even used to put some extra functionallity and fun in security software we have in hands :)

Imagine:
    you are on your way home and calling your computer; your computer taking the phone, agent answers, you ask him to start your application, and to call the local grocery for some deliveries, and to start something you had ready in the micro oven, and to start your coffeemachine. This is really possible, you might need IR steering, or other ways to switch things on, you name it.
    And in the meantime taking care of your TDS radius update as you have some script starting the update at some given hour, the agent reads the console if the update was successfull and if not he starts after one or more hours again.
    You might even have him sending you an email anywhere you want it with alarms.

TDS-2 had phone alert included, even with the satelite phone, so the agent or scripting can take care of that again for you.
    That scripting part is so important and all caused TDS to be central on my system. I didn't create all those remote activities btw, as i like to walk those few meters between the kitchen and pc.
    So it is not just and only top notch security and protection, TDS keeps you in the drivers seat and indeed it does, i never go a few meters from that drivers seat if i don't have urgent reasons for that! :D

21. the Tester

Jooske,

When you write a script like "Inner Peace" what do you use to write that?
    Is this something that can be done with TDS-3 ss3 script editor?
    or would I have to use a program like notepad or word pad?
    If I try to write a script with animation and voice,I know for sure that I would have to save it as it would be an on-going process for a while.
    I'm going to bookmark a few M$ sites,but I'll be happy to get any pointers at all that might shorten the learning curve!!

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You can use any editor, notepad, wordpad, metapad, ultraEdit, the ss3editor is especially for TDS scripts. You can paste vbs script in there too and lot will be read by TDS, not all maybe.

If you look in the Screx folder in the scripts - screx (you have to unzip that in it's own Scripts\Screx folder to function.) You will see it is an enormous script excisting of several separate scripts parts. This eases bigger projects like that one to change or add only one page and it could speed up the execution.

If you find one msagent site, you find many via the webring, some are really very advanced. And the people know each other, working on projects together there too.
    If you're a good designer you might like to grab at MS the ACE Agent Character Editor to build your own character. In the agentcharactors newsgroup is a fine tutorial how to do it.
    And there is LISET to create own voices and use them in the ttx (text-to-speech) engines.
    In the PE forum overhere in one of the first messages i posted a voice sample of the only Australian voice engine as far as i know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.