3.0.621 and PDF's

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by twl845, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Shortly after installing v3.0.621 I was unable to load PDF's from the internet. I clicked to open and as the PDF started to load it quit with an error. I could open PDF's on my hard drive with no problem. After checking every other possibility I uninstalled NOD 3.0.621 and sure enough that was it. So I'm back on v2.7 AGAIN. This time it's staying there for a looong time. If you're curious to see if you're afflicted, go to the ESET download page and try to open one of the PDF Manuals available right next to the download. If it opens good.

2. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

No problems with Foxit Reader.

3. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Hello,

No problems with Adobe Reader 8. I'm using XP Pro SP2 and NOD32 3.0.621

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I forgot to mention I was using PDF Exchange viewer as the default when I noticed the problem, and switched back to Adobe reader to see if that would clear it but the readers weren't the cause.:)

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It's not the reader guilty , internet is the cause .

Try to right click the PDF link and choose "Save target as" to save it locally on the disk , you'll see the download speed . Then when/if you get it , try to open it locally , I am sure you'll notice the difference

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, In post#1 I mentioned the problem wasn't speed, but that it would hang during download and give me an error message. Uninstalling NOD v3.621 cleared the problem.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Ok . Hope 2.7 works well for you :thumb:

8. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

I've found the same, again since installing 3.621. Large PDF files seem to stall at around the 2Mb downloaded mark and the computer locks up at 100% CPU usage for several minutes.

Forgot to mention, IE7 and XP SP2.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please provide us with the url to such a pdf file? I haven't seen such a behavior on my system.

10. poutine

poutine Registered Member

PDF's load fine for me with V.3 checked them all, different sizes, no problem. Even NOD32 for MS Exchange Version 2
    5.87 MB xmon_man_en.pdf

Using Foxit. ;)

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Do you re-call tweaking from default the Web access protection\Active mode settings ?

ActiveMode.jpg

Having ones browser selected to use Active mode instead of default passive mode(higher compatabiltiy) can cause this occurence.

With IE in passive mode(default) and attempting to download the ESET NOD32 Antivirus Home Edition Manual, the download occurs rather smoothly. If I select active mode\higher efficiency :doubt: for IE and attempt the same download, it gets to about 1 meg roughly and takes a siesta.

Bubba

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It wasn't any one pdf. As a tester I checked to see if the problem went away by trying to access the ESET manual pdf on the download page. With v3.621 no good. Uninstalled, OK.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, I just remembered that as I was trying to isolate the problem, and not suspecting NOD3 as yet, I made a snapshot from a FD-ISR archive which had v566 on it. I uninstalled v566 and installed .621. So I had a primary snapshot and a secondary snapshot with v3.621 on them, niether of which were tweeked, and both had the pdf's hanging up. Sorry I don't know if they were set to active or passive, they were as is. I uninstalled v3 from both of them. I wish now I had left v3 on the secondary snapshot so I could check what it was set at.

14. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I use Windows XP SP2 with IE7 and Acrobat 3D 8.1.1 and see some problems when using nod32 3.0.621 and pdf links. For large pdf files i can see the downloading counting in the status bar of IE when i try to open a pdf in IE and suddenly it stops usually after about 2-3mb is downloaded.

One example is this link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...stallation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

Click on the first link on this page (the 4mb pdf) and this happen every time on my computer, but it happen only with IE in active mode. Passive mode it works without any issues.

Also after installing nod32 3.0.621 every time i started Acrobat i got an error message that a plugin didn't work. I tried a repair installation of acrobat, but that didn't solve the problem. So i checked "do not show me this error again" and don't know how to get it back so cannot remember exactly what it said. Everything seems to work fine though so not sure if that error message is relevant at all. The error message said that the reason could be because of antispyware software installed on my computer. I don't have any antivirus, antispyware or firewall software installed except from nod32.

15. meschubert

meschubert Registered Member

I can duplicate the behavior and it doesn’t seem like the fix will be a big deal. If the file is opened as part of the download, I get the same results as you do. If I download the file to disk, it takes the sample you mentioned about 8 seconds to be saved and under a second to open.

16. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

I've seen this with pdf files, just tested it now with Active mode set on firefox and Adobe reader latest versions. Stops about 800k for me, turn off active mode and reload the ESET manual and its all ok.

17. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

I don't recall tweaking my settings, but having checked you are right - active mode was selected.

Having changed the setting to passive mode, that does indeed seem to have solved the problem for me.

Thanks Bubba :D

18. meschubert

meschubert Registered Member

Seems like they could use a parameter that supports adjusting this buffer or memory allocation limit. I remember V2.7 allowed you to specify an object size over which NOD32 would switch to Passive Mode automatically. This ability and the adjustment of the cutoff size seems to be missing in V3.

19. KFBeaker

KFBeaker Registered Member

For bug verification, I too see this happening with PDF lins at many sites - even large sites with great bandwidth like Intel's website.

Yes, de-selecting "active mode" does help.

But I hope ESET continues to work on a bug fix for this.

Disabling active mode is an unaccpetable solution for a security product. i.e. 'We make a security product that interferes with PDF downloads. All you have to do is switch off our protection software's protection and your problem goes away - kinda defeats the purpose of security software.'

Hopefully this will be dealt with in a soon to be released patch.

Bug also exists in ESS 3.0.621

20. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

21. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We have investigated the problem and found out that it§s a problem of Acrobat Reader itself; it doesn't like if the data is not fed continually (the case of active mode).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.